Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 11:35 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,593,335 times

Advertisements

I've been in this forum a few times. I currently work as a senior software engineer who had to scrape my way up to my position. Taking experience one by one until I was able to cultivate it into a decent career. The issue is I'm a high school drop out, and not only that I also dropped out of college. However I dropped out so early that I went to college early (after receiving a GED), but after a few years I decided to enter the industry. I have about 15+ years of experience under my belt.

I've done data engineering problem solving a bit here and there in my career, despite my focus being on cloud and microservices. The main issue. I just find it boring. Sure there is certainly something intriguing about decomposing web services, but I would prefer to actually be dealing with data itself. I've been studying machine learning for about 2 years, while a lot of books I've read are pretty dry, I still find it interesting. The only personal projects that persuade me to even challenge myself deals with machine learning in some way. And I love analyzing data and making sense of it. It doesn't help I tend to love to argue politics in my spare time.

The issue is that when it comes to data science, I see crazy requirements. Often requiring PhDs at minimum. I mean I kind of get it. you need to know a little more math than average. And you need to have a lot of data analysis methods. But I don't actually think you need to a PhD to be successful at the job. But I really would like to work in this field. Having been in my career for 15 years, building I just don't find building out some microservices platform as interesting as working with intriguing datasets.

Before someone swoop in and say "Go to school and get your education". I just want to say that I'm 38 years old and I am 100% DEBT FREE. It will take 10 years to get a PhD, at that point I'll be 48 years old. And by 48 years old, I hope to be retired. I know a lot of companies have the title "data science" though they use it as fancy names for their DBAs. But I would love to know how to get into a proper data science role. And taking out debt and going to school for 10 years seems very excessive and unnecessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 11:42 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,477,319 times
Similar boat as you, so I'll be carefully watching the responses in this thread. I'd really love to know how you got into a technical role without a technical college education, let a lone without a degree. I have a degree, and I feel like I'm up against tough competition as it is in this field of BI/data science.

Old 03-02-2018, 11:43 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,517,422 times
1.Get multiple Data Science diplomas or certificates. Affordable programs under $2500. Yes, you'll self pay if your company won't pick up the tab.
2. Start adding as many data science duties as you can to your current job.
3. Network with internal and external data science people.
4. Join data science groups, associations, etc.

Old 03-02-2018, 11:52 AM

638 posts, read 529,974 times
I manage analytics and some data science.

Going into analytics without a degree is possible.

However, data scientists are expected to have the same degrees as any scientist. I don't think there is a realistic no-degree plan.

You'll have to be the most amazing person they've ever seen and have a really compelling story as to why you couldn't get at least a masters in informatics or data science. Like, really, really compelling and not just "I was working and needed money so I didn't get a degree". Because other people made the choice to get the degree.

Quote:
at that point I'll be 48 years old. And by 48 years old, I hope to be retired
I'm not sure how this is possible. Data scientists make money but not that much money! Maybe $150k, $250k for a senior position at a top company. You have exactly 10 years to make how much money?

Also, what's the point of switching now? You're only doing this for 10 more years. If you like solving data science problems, just dabble. And instead of data science work your butt off to retire early.

Old 03-02-2018, 12:27 PM

251 posts, read 204,234 times
Hell no.

If you are 38 years old and debt free as a senior software engineer keep it that way.

You said you work with cloud infrastructure. Stick with that and stockpile and invest money as quickly as you can. Stay with the cloud until you retire. I used to consult for cloud infrastructure SaaS partners and there is bucketloads of demand and money in that niche. **** data science. Stay with the cloud!!!!

Even better if you get some InfoSec certs. Information security and the Cloud will continue to be huge for the next 10-20 years. Guaranteed.

Technology sector is a young man's game. There is less age bias with cloud infrastructure. I understand you are bored. But you need to eat and pay your bills.

Old 03-02-2018, 01:33 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,593,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neerwhal View Post

Also, what's the point of switching now? You're only doing this for 10 more years. If you like solving data science problems, just dabble. And instead of data science work your butt off to retire early.

This makes the most sense unfortuantely. Not what I want to hear, but at this point it does make sense to not make any huge monetary investments in education. As someone who manages data analytics, would you at least suggest a Coursera course or something of that nature? Not as a path to a job, but for general learning?

Old 03-02-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
This makes the most sense unfortuantely. Not what I want to hear, but at this point it does make sense to not make any huge monetary investments in education. As someone who manages data analytics, would you at least suggest a Coursera course or something of that nature? Not as a path to a job, but for general learning?
Check out edX. More extensive course offerings.

https://www.edx.org/course?subject=D...6%20Statistics

Old 03-02-2018, 01:49 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,490,241 times
Your best bet is to use Fast.ai and Kaggle.

Old 03-02-2018, 01:49 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,803,024 times
Forget the term Data Science and stop putting labels on things. You enjoy data analytics...focus on that rather than specific job titles. You don't need to be a data scientist (that title is thrown around and can mean different things to different people and organizations) to do what you want to do.

Best of luck.

Old 03-02-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Forget the term Data Science and stop putting labels on things. You enjoy data analytics...focus on that rather than specific job titles. You don't need to be a data scientist (that title is thrown around and can mean different things to different people and organizations) to do what you want to do.

Best of luck.
The problem with Data Science is that nobody can agree on what it means. It means something different to almost every person you talk to about it.

But you're right. Essentially, it boils down to analyzing data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment