Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 06:36 AM

177 posts, read 131,707 times

Advertisements

Yes I agree how do I protect myself ?

Sometimes a devastating layoff is a wakeup call. Part of being a great employee is feeling that the company is on your back. And you grow attach to your workplace and your work environment. Unfortunately a job is just a job at the end of the day. And nothing is really personal. Sometimes it takes a devastating layoff just to get someone to emotionally pivot and really understand what it means to be an employee.

You should be taking notes because you probably dont want your next job to be this way. On one hand getting laid off is a business decision from the company. But its another thing to embellish disciplinary actions just to push someone out of the job. Layoffs sometimes have to happen. But there are good ways to lay off employees and there are bad ways. Your company has chosen the worst ways.

If I were a betting man (and I am). My money is on them trying to justify firing you so you can't draw unemployment or qualify for a benefits package. I can only imagine that they'll keep a very small portion of your team, give a few severance packages, and completely cut the rest of you off. In either case play it by ear. Just don't be caught with your pants down[/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 07:11 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
There is project time and hours allocated to migrating to offshore. It is tanking a project for sure.
I don't care. I haven't gotten on-the-job training or "knowledge transfers" in years. I was repeatedly thrown into the deep end and had to figure it out. I did it. So can they. You want to get rid of me AND require me to "transfer knowledge" to the underpaid drones you're bringing in to replace me? If they kicked so much ass, they wouldn't need me to tell them anything.

Eff that and the horse it rode in on. Call me unprofessional all you want; I don't care. The people I've worked with and companies I've worked for would tell a very different story.

Quote:
Not being professional and purposely not training your replacement actually cuts into your reputation. While it's easy to emphasize with a person being disgruntled about losing their jobs, especially when many may feel they didn't have to. The fact that you wouldn't maintain your professionalism and train your replacement doesn't look good.

It alson kind of show disrespect for any future person who may inherit whatever mess you left behind. And it shows disregard for your manager, whose hands just my be tied.
That's the difference between you and me, I guess; I don't leave behind messes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
This is causing you to cry at work??? Thank god for H1B visa workers, at least they have emotional stability!
LOL...if you say so. I rarely see people lose their minds at work or cry when they think nobody's looking but our immigrant guests are every bit as likely to do it as us Americans are. In my experience, Europeans and East Asians are the most temperamental. The biggest tantrums I've seen at work have been from Europeans...Italian, French, Russian, Scottish...it runs the gamut. Our south Asian friends are a bit more phlegmatic but it can be challenging getting an honest estimate for LOE from them.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:39 PM

409 posts, read 873,891 times
OP, ignore everyone that tells you to quit or to stop doing your job. Why it may feel good to “stick it to the man”, that wouldn’t pay the rent or put food on the table. If you are laid off, you want to collect every dollar you’re due.

I was in a similar situation although they were more upfront about the layoffs. Some people whose job was going overseas had to train their replacements. If they refused they in essence quit their jobs which means no UE or severance. Some were moved over to a contractor firm. They still had jobs but were no longer employees. Again, you either had to go along with it or as far as they were concerned,you just quit your job.

I advise you to start looking for a new job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment