Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 06:12 PM

233 posts, read 191,117 times

Advertisements

If you have a decent emergency fund set up honestly I would let them lay me off, take whatever severance package they offer and collect unemployment. That would 'hurt' the company more than me jumping into another job out of desperation that may not be best suited for me.

Job market is good - you can explain away a few months or so gap in a resume easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 09:53 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbieontheblock86 View Post
And yet and still I asked my manager a few days ago “are we being laid off” the answer is always no and when asked what our new duties will be she goes on to say “more of an analytical role “
Since nobody here really knows your job and company, jumping to the doomsday scenario without so much as one bit of intelligent inquiry is more of the usual loser employee mentality talk. So, let's do some rational thinking before running with the mob mentality.

Looking at all those impacted, where do you stand in the food chain? Is an analytical role within the realm of what the company may need and if so, is it within your education and experience? Basically, if the moving of duties not occurred, had they offered you "more of an analytical role" elsewhere in the company, would it be out of place?

You want to think through the basis of the manager's response to ensure that before you pull the trigger, you are not aiming at yourself.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:27 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
The job market is excellent. Take advantage of it. Grab the severance, and move on. Assume your boss is LYING, as given how obtuse this vague new description of your role is, the boss is likely lying.

Stop asking for more info. Liars lie all the time. That will not change.

If the job market were bad, trying to stay onboard would make sense. It's not, and not aggressively searching for new work makes no sense at all.

You owe your present lying boss nothing beyond work for hours paid. Nothing.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:52 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,235,752 times
Quote:
Our department just found out today 100 percent of our job duties are being transferred over to other departments effective June 25,2018. And so now our manger wants us to put together training material and PowerPoint presentations and host training sessions on how to do our job duties
And yet and still I asked my manager a few days ago “are we being laid off” the answer is always no and when asked what our new duties will be she goes on to say “more of an analytical role “
So timeline is to conduct training sessions in the
Middle of June , soon after on June 25th is the official date of the new departments taking over our job duties
July 5th is when our new Vice President will “job shadow” each and everyone of us
Not sure what will happen after that but it doesn’t look good
Plus our manager is prepping us on how to interview and also mentioned how we can put the training sessions as a part our job discreption on our resume

You're fixin' to start training your replacement.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:47 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,576,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Since nobody here really knows your job and company, jumping to the doomsday scenario without so much as one bit of intelligent inquiry is more of the usual loser employee mentality talk. So, let's do some rational thinking before running with the mob mentality.

Looking at all those impacted, where do you stand in the food chain? Is an analytical role within the realm of what the company may need and if so, is it within your education and experience? Basically, if the moving of duties not occurred, had they offered you "more of an analytical role" elsewhere in the company, would it be out of place?

You want to think through the basis of the manager's response to ensure that before you pull the trigger, you are not aiming at yourself.
when i go thru a re-org, they are very precise about dates, the new org-chart, new responsibilities, salary increases, promotions, direct reports, aquisitions, software/platform support, ...

so at worst, o.p.'s management is lyinig or at best they are incompetent; either way, i would find more stable employment.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:08 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times
Quote:
Our department just found out today 100 percent of our job duties are being transferred over to other departments effective June 25,2018. And so now our manger wants us to put together training material and PowerPoint presentations and host training sessions on how to do our job duties
So timeline is to conduct training sessions in the
Middle of June , soon after on June 25th is the official date of the new departments taking over our job duties
July 5th is when our new Vice President will “job shadow” each and everyone of us
Not sure what will happen after that but it doesn’t look good
Plus our manager is prepping us on how to interview and also mentioned how we can put the training sessions as a part our job discreption on our resume

You are finished. At this point the only reason to stay would be to qualify for unemployment benefits. If this is a low wage job and think you can pick up another job quickly I would walk. I wouldn't want to train my replacement.

There is something called the WARN act which is a Federal mandate/law. Basically means if any employer lays off an large number of employees or closes a plant, they have to give those employees 60 days notice. If you haven't received that notice most likely you have at least 60 more days of employment.
There are exceptions to the WARN act, but not going to cover that here.

For your state Texas look here
Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Notices
then choose WARN notices - next page choose year 2018

Check to see if your companies name is on that list and keep checking it every day. With any luck you'll get the 411 before any one else.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:30 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Takes brass balls to make you train your replacements
And yet companies do it all the time. This is why I have been boycotting Disney and its child companies ever since it betrayed its IT workers by forcing them to train their incompetent H1B replacements.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:17 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,239,528 times
Cough cough....oh geez I think Im coming down with the flu.....cough cough.....

Old 06-01-2018, 02:31 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
You might get to keep your job if you can speak Indian but not for long. Seen it all too familiar how these things play out the same playbook everywhere.

The OP would likely have to also accept quite a cut in pay.

OP, I wish you luck. Maybe something even better will come along.

Old 06-02-2018, 05:23 PM

469 posts, read 637,532 times
Maybe the boss is getting laid off also but she doesn't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment