Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 01:24 PM

415 posts, read 371,442 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could help give me some career advice. I’m a 28 year old female, who has a bachelors in a business administration. I have been told my strengths are: attention to detail, organization, and planning.

For the past year and a half I have been working as an office manager for a group of 20 people. Although this is my title, I don’t actually manage this team, but more so manage the office, but that’s my official title. I order snacks, cater lunches, any office expenses I do, ordering supplies for the team, opening PO’s, and basically any issues with the office or assistance with admin type things I help my team with.

I like the people, but I already feel quite bored in the role, and there’s nowhere to be promoted to, unless I perhaps changed departments, but I have been considering moving states lately, so if I were to do so I would leave this job.

Can anyone give me advice on good career paths I could go into or maybe break into from this role? I love helping people and I love organizing and planning things, and sorting things out (problem solving). I’m not at all mathematical minded and was always better with writing and English.

One thing I dislike about this job is the lack of job growth, and it can feel very samey. I also find people incredibly ungrateful, even when I bend over backwards to help people.

Any suggestions? I currently make 60k, but I’d really like to make closer to 80k, and I’d hope once I leave this job, the experience I have would allow me to get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 01:28 PM

801 posts, read 547,862 times
Sounds like you'd enjoy working in Human Resources. HR managers earn well over $80,000. Do some research and see what it takes to get there..

Old 06-08-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
Sounds like you'd enjoy working in Human Resources. HR managers earn well over $80,000. Do some research and see what it takes to get there..
I did have an interest in HR but I don’t have any experience in it, and I think you need a few years.

Old 06-08-2018, 01:57 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
how did you come up with this? No one will hire an office manager who has no HR experience as a HR manager and pay her $80k. There are thousands of HR educated and experienced people who apply to those jobs.

OP, why not stay an office manager but different company? With your experience you may be able to go up in pay.

Old 06-08-2018, 02:18 PM

801 posts, read 547,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
how did you come up with this? No one will hire an office manager who has no HR experience as a HR manager and pay her $80k. There are thousands of HR educated and experienced people who apply to those jobs.

OP, why not stay an office manager but different company? With your experience you may be able to go up in pay.
Apparently you stopped reading before getting you to the part where I said.....

Quote:
Do some research and see what it takes to get there...
I am not implying that she can get an HR manager job straight away. Just that I think she would enjoy that type of work.

She can do some research, see what type of work experience and education she needs to get there and start working on it, if feasible.

Old 06-08-2018, 02:43 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newintown89 View Post
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could help give me some career advice. I’m a 28 year old female, who has a bachelors in a business administration. I have been told my strengths are: attention to detail, organization, and planning.

For the past year and a half I have been working as an office manager for a group of 20 people. Although this is my title, I don’t actually manage this team, but more so manage the office, but that’s my official title. I order snacks, cater lunches, any office expenses I do, ordering supplies for the team, opening PO’s, and basically any issues with the office or assistance with admin type things I help my team with.

I like the people, but I already feel quite bored in the role, and there’s nowhere to be promoted to, unless I perhaps changed departments, but I have been considering moving states lately, so if I were to do so I would leave this job.

Can anyone give me advice on good career paths I could go into or maybe break into from this role? I love helping people and I love organizing and planning things, and sorting things out (problem solving). I’m not at all mathematical minded and was always better with writing and English.

One thing I dislike about this job is the lack of job growth, and it can feel very samey. I also find people incredibly ungrateful, even when I bend over backwards to help people.

Any suggestions? I currently make 60k, but I’d really like to make closer to 80k, and I’d hope once I leave this job, the experience I have would allow me to get there.
Sounds to me like a pretty easy gig for what you are paid.

Don't take that for granted.

That said, if you want to do something else, here's my advice...

Think of a job that...

1) You would do if you won the lottery.

2) Where you'd have stories to tell your friends and families about what you did that day.

3) Where you believe in at least the daily mission (e.g. curing cancer) if not the daily tasks that you perform.

4) That has the right amount of corporate culture that you desire (less or more).

That's a start.

Old 06-08-2018, 02:59 PM

403 posts, read 364,135 times
What about Executive Assistant?

And I currently work in HR now.. I agree that it could be a good field for you to get into but you will definitely have to start from the bottom and work your way up. I don't think you will enjoy general HR (benefits, comp, payroll) etc. but I think you should look into Learning & Development. The organizational aspect, working with people, and problem solving are all important traits for that role.

Old 06-08-2018, 03:11 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,800,319 times
You very likely may need to take a step back to move forward. If you want a change to something else, even if it is related, you may have to begin in a lesser role and be at a lesser level of income. If you are good with that (and many are) then you can try to build your way into a Practice Manager position in healthcare. Your administrative background is one aspect that would be valuable. You'd have to learn a good deal about how to fit that into the healthcare world, which is very different from any other world.

Best of luck.

Old 06-08-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Sounds to me like a pretty easy gig for what you are paid.

Don't take that for granted.

That said, if you want to do something else, here's my advice...

Think of a job that...

1) You would do if you won the lottery.

2) Where you'd have stories to tell your friends and families about what you did that day.

3) Where you believe in at least the daily mission (e.g. curing cancer) if not the daily tasks that you perform.

4) That has the right amount of corporate culture that you desire (less or more).

That's a start.
I must admit it’s good pay for what I do, although it’s by no means easy. We have a lot of events and I have to plan everything for them...on saying that, the job has reached a point where it’s not a challenge.

Old 06-08-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasiscakes View Post
What about Executive Assistant?

And I currently work in HR now.. I agree that it could be a good field for you to get into but you will definitely have to start from the bottom and work your way up. I don't think you will enjoy general HR (benefits, comp, payroll) etc. but I think you should look into Learning & Development. The organizational aspect, working with people, and problem solving are all important traits for that role.
Would you say even entry level would require a degree in HR or at least a cert?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment