Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 10:17 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
But you still need to be able to identify the inputs into the function. I'm not an accountant, but I think that requires some math. And, wouldn't you need to know how to calculate it, at least in a simplistic way (ie, for an Ice Cream Shop) "by hand" (or at least a calculator.)
Plus, as an accounting student you learn to do that “by hand” before being introduced to accounting software. At least I did, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 10:20 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,432,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
Plus, as an accounting student you learn to do that “by hand” before being introduced to accounting software. At least I did, anyway.
Correct. Because you have to go through the actual learning process to be able to do the 3 things I mentioned in my previous post.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:33 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
"Should I go for a career in Accounting if Im bad at math?"

No. You should be a florist.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:29 PM

13 posts, read 28,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
"Should I go for a career in Accounting if Im bad at math?"

No. You should be a florist.
A certain amount of math is required to be an accountant, but only the very basics. If you are aware of the principles involved in addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, you already have enough math knowledge to be an accountant. There is limited algebra involved, but nothing more. There is no need to know integrals, differentials, or any other complicated mathematics properties and/or equations.

https://www.accountingschoolguide.co...unting-degree/

Old 06-06-2018, 12:48 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
"A certain amount of math is required to be an accountant, but only the very basics"

Agreed. That said, economists need to know some real math. Economists know where money comes from, where money is and where money goes. Yes, you can destroy money. It is called inflation. It is absolutely intentional and Joe Sixpack has no idea how it is done to him. Inflation is a tax.

In 1918 you could buy a cow with a $20 gold piece. Today you can buy a cow with that same $20 gold piece. However, a $20 bill will get you five pounds of hamburg at the meat market. If the average voter understood the Hickes Hansen Model of Disaggregated Macroeconomic Demand, they would vote out most congresscritters and abolish the Federal Reserve next year. That is two lies in one term. It isn't federal and there is no reserve.

Old 06-06-2018, 01:31 PM

870 posts, read 2,110,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaDuhHippie View Post
A certain amount of math is required to be an accountant, but only the very basics. If you are aware of the principles involved in addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, you already have enough math knowledge to be an accountant. There is limited algebra involved, but nothing more. There is no need to know integrals, differentials, or any other complicated mathematics properties and/or equations.

Okay, since a blog post at a website I've never heard of said you don't need to know more than mere principles of basic math, then I would base a career choice off of that.

Yes, the website is correct that accountants do not normally spend their days hand-calculating complex 20-step equations. However, that link is also ridiculous in implying that you always use the same formulas with no judgments when creating a balance sheet. What percentages do you use for allowances for doubtful accounts? What are pension formulas? What depreciation method(s) are used for each type of depreciable property, and what were the in-service dates? How much amortization of premium should be entered for that new set of bonds issued mid-year that retired the old callable bonds that had 19 months before maturity?

Some of this may be pre-programmed by the accounting information system. However, accountants often have to go and update/double-check what is programmed. Not to mention, they need to be able to provide explanations to the auditors, and I can guarantee that an accountant telling an auditor "I'm not really good at math but I don't need to be" will result in a much more expensive, tedious, and nerve-wracking audit.

I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't be an auditor. But I was serious in my previous post. Explain what you mean by not being good at math. While I'm glad you did well in your collegiate basic math classes, you may need to investigate what types of math are expected by your college before blithely declaring accounting or finance as your major.

Finally, one of the other comments were spot-on. Even if certain jobs in the profession require less math in the daily work (or you can use a computer to do it all), that isn't the case for most college classes. If you can't create a double declining balance or sum-of-the-years depreciation schedule by hand (which yes, is basic addition/subtraction/multiplication/division), you won't pass the accounting classes.

Good luck. Stay positive. But also keep a level head.

Last edited by Mike From NIU; 06-06-2018 at 01:33 PM.. Reason: added example.

Old 06-06-2018, 02:12 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
Quote:

[url]https://www.accountingschoolguide.com/do-i-have-to-be-good-at-math-to-get-an-accounting-degree/[/url]
Seriously. I’m an auditor. People thinking they can play accountant by just plugging some numbers into a spreadsheet and getting by on basic math is why I have a job.

Old 06-06-2018, 02:13 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Extremely high level math? No. An ERP system will do the actual calculation on your behalf.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:14 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,402,586 times
Quote:

I've worked at three large CPA firms over the past 16 years. The billing rate for staff (the lowest-level accountants) is $160 per hour; partners bill at over $300 per hour. Clients aren't paying that much for grade-school level math skills and data entry work. Would YOU pay that kind of money for someone who didn't understand what they were plugging into Excel or have any intuitive idea whether the answer was right?

Whether you'll use higher-level math like calculus at work is beside the point--bachelor of accounting programs require courses like calculus and statistics. Purdue is one school my employer recruits from--accounting requirements are here.

Something nobody else has mentioned is the long hours accountants work, especially February through mid-April for tax accountants, February through the end of April for auditors, September through mid-October for benefit plans, and, it seems, year-round for valuation. It is NOT a 40-hour-per-week job. You'll need to spend a lot of time at clients' places of businesses and possibly travel as an auditor.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:16 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,402,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
WE aren't talking about homework. DO you even know the topic of the tread? WE are talking about in the real world, not school work. I did taxes and was an accounting major. You did not need to know anything outside of basic addition and subtraction. All taxes is is addition, subtraction, and multiplication, but even the computer does all that for you. Since youre so sure, give me specific examples of how an accountant has to do any complex math by hand or even understand complex math to do their job. I'm waiting....
YOU are the only person talking nonsense about doing complex math by hand at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment