Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 05:12 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,944,589 times

Advertisements

I've been teaching elementary for the past 6 years, but now I have decided that I want do something else. One reason is that while I love working my students, I feel like I'm doing a lot and the compensation doesn't match how much effort I put into my profession. It also creeps up slowly throughout my career which makes it harder to save for a house and invest my income. The opportunities to advance are limited to support staff or administration. The latter comes with an increase in pay and responbilities but the work doesn't interest me.

The main reason that I want to do something else is that my personality is INTJ-esque. As I mentioned before, I love working with my students and my students enjoy my personality, but some adults want me to be more like clown when I'm on the job.

There are other things that bother me that such as having no real planning time because they expect us to go to meeting all the time. I usually end up doing work before and after school. I often work during the weekends as well.

I have my undergrad and masters in teaching and now I'm looking to transition into something else. NowI feel paralyzed since I don't know wher to begin or how to sell myself correctly. I would like to do work that involves more problem solving and analyzing situations to find solutions.I've thought about the things that I do daily as a teacher that aren't just the teaching aspect of the job that involve these skills and have practiced rewriting my resume into a non-teaching resume. But I still don't know what I would like to specifically do since my professional career has been dedicated to teaching and that's all I know.

I currently live in the Washington DC area so there a lot of contracting companies and NPO's. What should I be doing to find a position to get my foot in the door? I am willing to take a pay cut if it means finding a career path that I enjoy that gives me the opportunity to advance. Right now, everything seems overwhelming and I think I'm selling my self short by telling myself that I'm unqualified to do anything else.

Last edited by Octa; 06-17-2018 at 05:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 06:56 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
Find the largest company as possible that's looking for corporate trainers. Your teaching background will help you. Then, once in the company, you can angle for other positions.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:33 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,230,714 times
What do you want to transition into?

Have you tried going to your state's unemployment office and seeing if they have career counselors there?

Old 06-18-2018, 03:40 AM

1,063 posts, read 697,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post

Have you tried going to your state's unemployment office and seeing if they have career counselors there?
They will welcome him with a VIP application process for Walmart, Target, Sam's Club, Applebees and Olive Garden

Old 06-18-2018, 03:41 AM

1,063 posts, read 697,286 times
I second the Corporate Trainer route. You may want to look into regulated industries such as Finance and Pharma which require routine compliance trainings for various personnel in the organization.

Old 06-18-2018, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Find the largest company as possible that's looking for corporate trainers. Your teaching background will help you. Then, once in the company, you can angle for other positions.
Although I want to get out of teaching, your suggestion is a good option if means using it as springboard into something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post

I don't know exactly what I want to transition into. I haven't done any career counselling, but someone did buy me a strength test from Gallup a few years ago. After doing the test, it told me what my strengths were. Among them were analytical, input(inquisitive), and connectedness. I also identify with the first two when it comes to my hobbies outside of work. For example, I decided I want to learn a language so I figured out how to get started, I self-taught myself, and now I have some certificates to prove that I have functional competency in said language although I have much more room to grow. I enjoy the challenge. In order to do that I had to constantly evaulate my strengths and areas of improvement. I developed a routine and was constantly modifying it to help me achieve my goal. That is how I think and it's how I did my job as a teacher. It's what I enjoy doing.

I would like to do something where I'm possibly managing databases, doing risk management, evaulting program effectiveness, and other related jobs but I don't know what these jobs are or how to break into them. I've only been a teacher and the application process for that is easy: find a list of openings, apply, email the school, and do an interview. I don't have experience with searching for a job outside of teaching. I'm also here trying to figure that out and get advice so that I can be successful. I would love to find something more related to my strengths because I want to be successful in my next career whatever that may be.

Old 06-18-2018, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
They will welcome him with a VIP application process for Walmart, Target, Sam's Club, Applebees and Olive Garden
In otherwords, they are not that helpful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
I second the Corporate Trainer route. You may want to look into regulated industries such as Finance and Pharma which require routine compliance trainings for various personnel in the organization.
That's an idea. Do you think these companies would offer career mobility once inside? I don't have a background in finance or medicine.

Old 06-18-2018, 03:59 AM

669 posts, read 582,776 times
Read lots of job descriptions on the job boards. Indeed.com and ZipRecruiter. I am doing the same thing. Transitioning out of one industry to another one. Reading many types of job descriptions have opened my eyes to new possibilities. Get your resume ready to apply dor jobs. You will tweeak it as you go. APPLY for jobs. Watch YouTube interviewing videos for tips and practices. I started my job search in Feb tho I was contemplating a move last summer. While I have not closed the deal on a position I am optimistic that I will.

Best of success.

Old 06-18-2018, 04:22 AM

7,189 posts, read 9,327,431 times
At the moment it seems that quite a few teachers are disgruntled. I don't blame them.

From my experience, there are 3 factors that dominate job satisfaction: Autonomy, compensation, and recognition. Teaching misses all three.

I bet there are recruiting sites focusing on transitioning teachers to more lucrative careers. If not, it's a big opportunity.

Perhaps you could start something.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:56 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,230,714 times
Have you taken the Myers-Briggs test? It is available for free online. It will tell you the kind of personality you have (or give you a good idea of what it is). You can use that to help figure out what jobs you would like to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment