Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 02:40 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,463,233 times

Advertisements

Re: MechaMan's post. It's interesting what you said about Arab countries. Obviously not all are the same, and we can make value judgments all we want, but I once heard someone say how peaceful many Arab countries are compared to America (despite what's said about them in the media). That's because they live by a different code of conduct than we do. One where the community takes action against transgressors. And it makes sense since many of those countries are highly religious. In the Bible, for example, there were sanctuary cities for people to hide in if they commit murder (unintentionally). That's because the family of the victim had every right to avenge his/her death. The person who was speaking about Arab countries said that a banker could have $10k on the table while they were assisting you. If they needed to step away for a moment there'd be no need to lock up the money. They'd leave it right there with you unattended, because they know you're not going to touch it. If you do, that will be the first and last time you steal any money.

Say what you want about so-called barbarianism. America is a society that doesn't hold people accountable for their actions. That's why people do whatever the hell they please. But if you knew the consequence of stealing fruit from someone's tree was losing your hand...you might think twice about taking that fruit without permission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 08:52 PM

8,168 posts, read 6,920,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwawayyy12 View Post
One coworker messes with me a bit. I usually just laugh it off or ignore him. I don't have to see him often since he would show up for a couple minutes chat and leave to do his work. So I don't have to deal with him very long. Today he wanted to make fun of my arm size with my other coworkers around. Keep in mind I usually don't even talk to him just go to work and start working. He wanted to measure it to make fun of me in front of everyone and started touching my arm. I was like I don't like being touched. I stood up to his face and said you trying to **** me off? Lets keep it professional and be cordial with one another. I don't want to feel uncomfortable at work. We don't have to be friends, just be cordial with one another. Then it got really awkward and he left. Other coworkers were looking at me. It just makes me look bad. But I didn't try to make a big scene and was being level headed. I was saying it a normal stern voice, didn't scream or anything. I usually don't like to cause drama at work and am pretty quiet. Did I take it too far?
Maybe he sells gym memberships on the side...

Old 11-13-2018, 09:12 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,374,216 times
He was in the wrong. He shouldn't have touched you.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:20 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,390,083 times
I work with s0meone like that. Always comparing, always creating this competitive atmosphere within his world would lead to getting physical(fight). I learned early on, you could never "win" against this person verbally. They simply deny ever doing any wrongs. Crazy thing is, this person has asked me for help and advice on many occasions, and every time I help or give advice.
The straw finally broke for me when said person tossed water at me! I'm standing there thinking, "this really didn't just happen did it"? I told him, that's it we're done. Walked away. I still have to work with this person for another month or two, but I literally do not talk to him. Only basic verbal commands, sort of like a dog. It's actually working out well, but I can't wait to be far away from him.

Just curious, are there any good apps for audio recording? Like voice activated? I'm thinking of turning the tables, striking up a convo and let him verbally hang himself.
Thanks.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:43 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,250,098 times
My first boss said a simple sentence to me many years ago that I've never forgotten.

"I'm not gonna be anyone's whipping boy."

Words to live by, IMO. If some of your coworkers don't like that you stood up for yourself, then too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment