Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 06:50 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,463,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Please OP do NOT even respond so we don't get too far afield....

Why not? Having more facts enables everyone to have an informed opinion. I find that people are way too management-friendly on this forum, as though management never makes mistakes. I worked in an office where someone was on medical leave for a veeeery long time. I don't think I ever saw anyone else use their desk...and there was good evidence that this person was probably not ever going to come back (not for any meaningful length of time, anyway). Then again, this was a union environment, which (in theory, at least) puts checks on management's behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 06:59 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,042,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Name three objective reasons management would choose the OP's desk over two people who are also on medical leave (presumably before the OP, but OP...correct me if I'm wrong).
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
There are approximately zero.

Probably not a coincidence.
Maybe there are, maybe there are none.

Doesn’t matter in the least. FMLA protects your job, but it doesn’t protect any particular portion of your job. They can move you, change your supervisor, and change your responsibilities, as long as they give you something comparable when you return.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:36 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,088,942 times
I've worked in jobs where someone else took over my desk if I was out for two weeks. Usually when I came back they would move to another desk that was available for at least a week. Sometimes it was a temp, sometimes a junior person who didn't have a desk because we were short on space, or sometimes someone who was visiting from another office. It wasn't personal.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:58 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,205,691 times
At least your office has desks. . . none of this shared space crap that is supposed to promote collaboration and really just creates chaos.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:23 PM

461 posts, read 508,892 times
I understand your question and fear. Yet, someone has to do your job while you are gone right? So that makes sense them using your desk. I would be a little worried though,what if that person did better than you and management liked them better. At the same time your job is protected ( or similar one at least) under the FMLA.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:36 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,255,892 times
Your position, or one comparable in rank and at equal or greater pay is guaranteed. Your workspace is not and should not be guaranteed. You don’t own it, the company does. I’ve had to hire replacements for people on leave and I always had them sit at the desk previously occupied by the person on leave. It’s not personal, it’s business. I never had time to get bogged down in the drama of who sets where, and frankly could care less.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:39 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,835,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bo View Post
the only thing fmla protects is your job. Your desk is not protected.

^^^^

Old 06-17-2018, 09:46 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,579,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mila123 View Post
I am currently on medical leave and found out from someone who walked by my desk that my stuff is gone and another person is in my desk. It's only been one month and I have no idea how long they have been sitting there. Even my name is gone. Can they do that? Isn't there some protection for FMLA leave? I couldn't find anything online about it.
My understanding is that someone on FMLA leave must get SOME reasonable job, when he returns. The employer is not obligated to hold that particular job open. If an employee is going to be out for a long length of time, the employer will probably hire someone else to fill your post, and offer you something else, when you return.

From the employer's point of view, if the position you had was necessary, then they would have to get someone to do it, in your absence. If they don't have someone who has the time & skill, they'll have to hire someone. It's their choice whether to hire a temp or permanent employee.

Did you discuss your job situation with them, when you discussed taking FMLA leave?

Old 06-17-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
So what? Why are you so attached this desk. It's just a desk. You'll probably get it back or one that looks exactly like it if when you come back
Not necessarily. You aren't guaranteed the exact job, when you return from FMLA. Just some job.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Your position, or one comparable in rank and at equal or greater pay is guaranteed. Your workspace is not and should not be guaranteed. You don’t own it, the company does. I’ve had to hire replacements for people on leave and I always had them sit at the desk previously occupied by the person on leave. It’s not personal, it’s business. I never had time to get bogged down in the drama of who sets where, and frankly could care less.
Your pay is guaranteed. You are not necessarily guaranteed the same level of job. If there isn't that level of job available, then there is no job to offer.

One paralegal I worked with went on FMLA. They hired a new paralegal to replace her, while she was out. When she called to say she was returning, they offered her a lower level job; there were no paralegal jobs open. Same pay, though, I assume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment