Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 05:26 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,990,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Without a relocation package, how good could a new job be?
That too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 05:42 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,645,655 times
I personally would not move for a job because I have a mortal fear of getting lost (I have nightmares about it). I'm sure if I were forced to do it, I'd be okay, but until I am forced to do it, I won't move for a job. Unless someone else goes with me and can help if we really do get lost (2 heads are better than 1).

Old 06-22-2018, 07:05 PM

858 posts, read 1,808,461 times
This program is in the right direction, but is very limited, reason why they've only got 2 success stories.

How many jobs that pay $20/hr+ does a town of 24,000 needs? Not many.

How many of the manufacturing jobs they're offering pay more than $20/hr?

So the real incentive to move only applies to few people and the ones that can take the majority of the jobs they have available don't move, not because they don't want to, but because they don't have the financial ability to do so.

As for us, we've done and are preparing to do it again in a few months.

Last edited by Merjolie8; 06-22-2018 at 07:15 PM..

Old 06-23-2018, 08:19 AM

24,646 posts, read 9,472,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazzy1228 View Post
This reminds me of that other post about a job offer in Erie,PA. The one specifically looking for young people lol. These moves make sense if there is a plethora of work available in the new area. Let's say the job in rural Nebraska doesn't work out. Can I find something else that pays just as good? If not, I'm back to square one and depleting my savings.....not signing up for that.
I agree. It’s not about plan A but rather Plan B, C, D, and E. Relocating to a job in a desirable area sounds fun, but if you’re miserable or you get fired do you have several backup plans that don’t involve depleting your savings or being homless.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:31 AM

25,583 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
Are you willing to move for a job?
I am retired now.
My willingness to move where the job required me to be and to move where the job was, was the single biggest factor in my completing a successful work life.

At 25 I got out of the navy in Seattle. Found a job in San Diego; promoted to Chicago; lateral move to Atlanta; new career in Atlanta; promoted to Huntsville, AL; new job in Mineral Wells, TX; self employed to Arlington, TX; to Mississippi.

Retired in 2010. House and rental properties all paid for, which provided a financially seamless retirement. People who are not mobile can pay a high price for their choice.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:58 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,752,781 times
People who are NOT ready to move for a job are cutting themselves off at the knees.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:34 AM

7,190 posts, read 9,327,431 times
One thing I've learned by reading posts on C-D is that some people are extremely reluctant to take any risks. For example, many on this forum pine for a secure Government job.

Moving requires confidence and the willingness to accept risk.

I've never gotten ahead without taking risk.

Old 06-23-2018, 11:35 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,463,858 times
I did. Not only that, I moved for the promise of a job. It was 2011, still recessionary times. I moved to a city with much better economic prospects, as well as social prospects, as compared to where I was leaving. I moved without a job. I eventually got a job and I'm here 7 years later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
One thing I've learned by reading posts on C-D is that some people are extremely reluctant to take any risks. For example, many on this forum pine for a secure Government job.

There's nothing wrong with pining for a government job. The vast majority of private sector workers have wished to work a secure government job at some point in their private sector careers. The private sector is generally unstable.

Old 06-23-2018, 12:36 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,825,562 times
I moved two times for a job. I have no family at all which is kind of sad but the one good thing is it gives you freedom to easily relocate if you want to.

Old 06-23-2018, 01:51 PM

7,364 posts, read 4,146,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagreeneyes03 View Post
If you take a job in one of those places, work it out in your job contract that if your job gets eliminated/you get laid off that you get six months severance and healthcare in a lump sum (that way you can collect unemployment). That way you have a safety net.
Most employers will not do this, especially in a right to work state, like Texas. Even in NYC, this is unheard of even at major corporations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment