Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2018, 03:29 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,529,163 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone knows anyone who has done this legally?

I can work as a virtual travel agent if I really wanted to and was wondering if this is even possible, since just about all countries, if you move to them want you to have a job lined up 1st.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 03:36 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
I had friends that worked for defense contractors in the Middle East. They were paid double the same job in the USA.

They weren't working from home though. They were supporting military bases. You really didn't want to be working offbase, due to the terrorists. The base was the safest place.

Old 07-20-2018, 04:05 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post

I can work as a virtual travel agent if I really wanted to and was wondering if this is even possible, since just about all countries, if you move to them want you to have a job lined up 1st.

Your query is very vague and much would depend upon what sort of employer/employee (if any) relationship exists.

Would you be an independent contractor? On payroll?

In short yes, there are no restrictions on American companies hiring foreign persons. Choosing to be paid in USD vs. native currency would have to be negotiated and or the company in question may have a set policy.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/us-co...other-rich-mba

This being said many countries have very strict laws about banking/finance and how employees are to be compensated.

If you are employed by a company that has a legal presence in whatever your native or country of residence is; you may find they are required to pay you in local currency. Independent contractors or the self employed maybe another matter.

https://baexpats.org/threads/can-arg...-in-usd.23293/

https://open.buffer.com/international-pay/

Old 07-20-2018, 04:27 PM

801 posts, read 547,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post

The easiest option is to freelance.

If you work in computer programming, web designing, etc... you can get US clients by targeting them with your ads. If it's the type of job you can do at home, they may not care to ask where you live and pay in USD.

You'll definitely have a hard time getting a W-2 type of job where the employer doesn't take cost of living into consideration when figuring out how to pay you.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:17 AM

200 posts, read 147,109 times
Seems to me the big issue would be the visa for the country you want to live in (if applicable), and whether you'd need to set up a local company or just work as an independent contractor. FATCA and FINCEN reporting requirements would also be something you'd need to comply with, plus US and local personal tax returns as well as any corporate one.

You might also have to consider jurisdictional issues when it comes to legal disputes. Seems to me that a tax lawyer specialized in international issues would need to be consulted.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:39 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,192,556 times
OP, I assume that you are a US citizen currently living in the US. Your plan is to get a remote working job with a US company then move to a foreign country while performing your US job, correct?

The "legally" part is will the foreign country allow you to be a resident under these conditions?

Old 07-22-2018, 02:33 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,529,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordata View Post
OP, I assume that you are a US citizen currently living in the US. Your plan is to get a remote working job with a US company then move to a foreign country while performing your US job, correct?

The "legally" part is will the foreign country allow you to be a resident under these conditions?
Yes, seems to me at least i would have a job coming in.

Old 07-22-2018, 02:53 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
Probably not in Western Europe, as you would have to get a residence and work permit on the basis of your job in EU country in which you hope to reside. Since you are a citizen of a visa waiver country, you could enter as a tourist, work there remotely for the US company for a total of 90 days (longer in the UK), and then would have to leave for a minimum of 180 days. I know people who have done this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment