Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 09:31 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times

Advertisements

Several months ago, a large, new project kicked off at my employer. We were given a basic project roadmap that was quite aggressive in its timetable. The impression was that it was "all hands on deck" and that the project would need to be wrapped up by the new year. As far as I know, that deadline hasn't changed, nor have any critical milestones been missed.

We just went through a merger this year. The team I'm on merged with a similar team on the other side. Before the teams were brought together, there was a RIF of about 20% on the other side, with our side not losing any staff. The executive came from the side I was on.

Our applications are being sunset, and the goal is to get our side of the house up on the existing software that the other side are experts in. They have three staff now, and we have three. They originally had six, and three were caught up in a RIF. I report to a director, who has about thirty people reporting up to her. We were moved to another office, and the director is rarely here. There is a manager here, who now reports to my director (this manager's previous director was also RIF'd). We report to the manager on a kind-of dotted-line basis, and this manager has been the most responsive.

Since my team is unfamiliar with the software, the goal was to get us trained by June. That didn't happen. We've had a few CBLs, and a webinar with a live instructor a few weeks ago. Aside from that, there has been little training from the existing staff or hands-on with the build at all. We are supporting the legacy platforms, but those will be out of production at the end of the year, and fully decommissioned by 2020. It is increasingly a stretch to get the timesheet to forty hours. We're paid fairly well and doing very little at the moment.

Much of the build is being done by individual departments, and it seems like the department people from the side I came from are sort of being frozen out as well. All the "leads" came from the other side. We're finding out the project status mostly from a consultant. We used to get notes every week from leadership about their meetings. That's only happening about half the time now.

Between being at another office and little feedback/info from mid-management and above, we've basically been rudderless and out of the loop for the past couple of months.

Anyone else had experience with big projects like this after a merger? I'm getting increasingly uncomfortable about the lack of work and information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 09:37 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,302,957 times
Sounds to me like the project got lost in the merger and now does not have the same backing it did before the merger. Because you are getting your project status info from a consultant and not mgmt, it sounds like the project has slipped in importance. Just my opinion.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:16 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm getting increasingly uncomfortable about the lack of work and information.
You should be. It's a matter of time before people start asking, "What are we paying these guys for, anyway?"

Old 08-14-2018, 10:42 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,069,650 times
OP,

I've learned very few people are any good at reading tea leaves when it comes to company matters. They often overreact and cause themselves unnecessary headaches.

With that being said, do you have any experience with assessing situations like this, and if you do, what's your batting average when it comes to it? Depending on your answer, you should act accordingly.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
OP,

I've learned very few people are any good at reading tea leaves when it comes to company matters. They often overreact and cause themselves unnecessary headaches.

With that being said, do you have any experience with assessing situations like this, and if you do, what's your batting average when it comes to it? Depending on your answer, you should act accordingly.
Not to this size.

Do I fear that I'm in imminent danger of job loss? No. Are there storm clouds on the six month to year horizon? Definitely.

Keep in mind that I'm far from the only "fat" sitting there.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:16 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,069,650 times
Quote:
Not to this size.

Do I fear that I'm in imminent danger of job loss? No. Are there storm clouds on the six month to year horizon? Definitely.

Keep in mind that I'm far from the only "fat" sitting there.
How long has it been since the merger? And there are really no equal partners in a merger. One company's management always has an upper hand. Is your legacy employer top or bottom? I apologize for putting it so bluntly.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:19 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
How long were you planning on staying at this job and can you still stay that long?

Old 08-14-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
How long were you planning on staying at this job and can you still stay that long?
If I were to get a great offer in a location I'd rather be, I'd move soon. I'm hoping to ride this for at least another year if nothing else comes through.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:34 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
If I were to get a great offer in a location I'd rather be, I'd move soon. I'm hoping to ride this for at least another year if nothing else comes through.
If you think you can safely stay for another year, then I personally wouldn't get caught up in project business. I tend to focus on how my current role helps me get the next role.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:41 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
They're probably keeping you there until the new project goes live and the legacy stuff is no longer in production. They aren't going to tell your team this because then everyone will start looking for jobs now and leave sooner. There is still a risk that the new project doesn't meet its due date or it fails and is cancelled. That's another reason they haven't told your team that you're being phased out.

Better speed up that job search because you're probably going to be let go during 1QTR2019.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment