Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 07:54 AM

107 posts, read 69,398 times

Advertisements

At my current company, things were going well for 4 years. I always got 4/5 or 5/5 on my reviews and have received two promotions.

However, in January I was moved under a new boss. And he has been a nightmare. We have had two employees quit because of him. And he was reprimanded by hr on multiple occasions for his behavior towards me.

For example, I had open heart surgery in February. upon my return , despite having medical clearance from HR and our benefits team to work half days while i recover from heart failure. He began to bully, mock, and chastise me to work OVERTIME.

Another example is where i began recieving anonymous notes on my desk with personal insults towards me and my character. They referenced things that only he would know about, so it was clearly him.

There were 3-4 times that HR had to step in before i got moved out from underneath him. too little too late as it was 7 months of pure hell. so ive decided to take another job.

so my question, I had 4 great years at this company and was well regarded. But, I am very unhappy with how i was treated the last 7 months. I am giving up my employee retention bonus and year end bonus (19k combined) to leave this company as the situation was so ****ing miserable.

So while i have always heard to never burn a bridge, I do want to say something about this guy to show i was the 3rd person to quit because of this behavior. Is it a bad idea to say in my two week notice that while i enjoyed working at the company, the issues with this guy were not ok and the reason i am leaving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 07:58 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
I would just be vague and diplomatic.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:58 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpero824 View Post
At my current company, things were going well for 4 years. I always got 4/5 or 5/5 on my reviews and have received two promotions.

However, in January I was moved under a new boss. And he has been a nightmare. We have had two employees quit because of him. And he was reprimanded by hr on multiple occasions for his behavior towards me.

For example, I had open heart surgery in February. upon my return , despite having medical clearance from HR and our benefits team to work half days while i recover from heart failure. He began to bully, mock, and chastise me to work OVERTIME.

Another example is where i began recieving anonymous notes on my desk with personal insults towards me and my character. They referenced things that only he would know about, so it was clearly him.

There were 3-4 times that HR had to step in before i got moved out from underneath him. too little too late as it was 7 months of pure hell. so ive decided to take another job.

so my question, I had 4 great years at this company and was well regarded. But, I am very unhappy with how i was treated the last 7 months. I am giving up my employee retention bonus and year end bonus (19k combined) to leave this company as the situation was so ****ing miserable.

So while i have always heard to never burn a bridge, I do want to say something about this guy to show i was the 3rd person to quit because of this behavior. Is it a bad idea to say in my two week notice that while i enjoyed working at the company, the issues with this guy were not ok and the reason i am leaving?
I don't see how that burns any bridges except with that one particular person.

Why couldn't you just ask to be moved under somebody else. Several employees have been asked to be moved from the person supervising them where I work.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:59 AM

210 posts, read 156,700 times
I think there is no reason not to tell them all this. Be clear, but respectful (for the sake of your reputation with the company).

Old 08-15-2018, 08:03 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
Your resignation letter should just say you are leaving effective on XYZ, and thank them for the opportunity to work there. No need to explain why or where your going, etc. The less info, the better.

Now, if you feel you need to provide that feedback, you'll likely be asked to do an exit interview. At that point you can express that feedback. HOWEVER, you should also put some thoughts to whether or not you SHOULD provide that feedback. Are you doing it as a vehicle to complain/vent? Or are you really trying to help them? If the former, what is the point? Do you think they would actually do anything about it? If the latter, are there less formal ways (i.e. let someone know via a cup of coffee when you meet up at a later date, etc.)?

Old 08-15-2018, 08:06 AM

107 posts, read 69,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I don't see how that burns any bridges except with that one particular person.

Why couldn't you just ask to be moved under somebody else. Several employees have been asked to be moved from the person supervising them where I work.
They did move me months after i asked and after repeated incidents. However, I am still the subject matter expert on literally every single one of his projects, so I am still essentially reporting to him despite having a new manager on our org chart.

plus the experience was miserable and its just time for me to leave after all that

Old 08-15-2018, 08:06 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
It's not relevant.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:17 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpero824 View Post

DON'T do it.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:26 AM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
No doubt the chances are high the OP will ignore majority advice to let it go and vent it all out during exit interview. OP is looking more for emotional support that what he wants to do, call out the manager to HR, is the right decision, and will argue the point repeatedly despite any of us telling OP not to.

But here's some reading material for OP:

How Honest Should You Be In An Exit Interview?

https://lifehacker.com/5888549/how-h...exit-interview

Quote:
But he says there's a world of difference between being honest and being disrespectful or rude. "If you catch yourself ever saying, 'Can I be completely blunt here?' be very cautious about how you proceed. Often, this phrase is code for taking off the gloves or wanting to say something that might cause offense."

Lynn Taylor, a national workplace expert and the author of " Tame Your Terrible Office Tyrant: How to Manage Childish Boss Behavior and Thrive in Your Job, " agrees with Kerr. She says the best approach during an exit interview is to "keep it short, polite, positive, and general - and that stands the best chance of your staying honest, while not jeopardizing your career."

Both experts say it's okay to not be 100% honest in some situations.

"For instance, you should never divulge private conversations you've had with colleagues or break a confidence, even if HR asks you to," Kerr says.

Another situation in which you shouldn't be completely honest: if you had personal issues with any coworkers or managers.

"Naming specific people or pointing the finger at certain managers can come back to bite you," Kerr says. "A more tactful, yet still helpful approach is to focus on constructive ideas centered around the company's culture and offer positive suggestions."

Old 08-15-2018, 08:31 AM

23 posts, read 15,486 times
They won't care. Seriously, just say you found something that pays more, is closer to home, whatever.

I worked under a nasty supervisor who had several complaints made to HR about him. He bullied many people and everyone knew what he was like.

Yet, he also was highly competent and "made it rain." Nothing was ever done to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment