Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 01:23 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times

Advertisements

My husband’s old company did this. All of the directors and VPs were instructed to write positive reviews. This happened several months ago, we were laughing at how ridiculous this was. Today on LinkedIn they announced they have the best online review of an employer for that market. Sleazy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 04:29 AM

414 posts, read 359,574 times
A relative owns a small business and the only Glassdoor reviews were scathing, scattered over the course of a few years. I know his business is a horrible place to work and the co-owners are total slime. Then suddenly there were three positive reviews within a few days of eachother - I’m guessing either he and / or the co-owners wrote those reviews or employees were asked / instructed.

His business also had bad reviews on a particular review website and again the bad reviews were scattered over the course of a few years - this site requires verification of purchase in order to write a review. He asked my husband to write a positive review even though we felt meh about the goods and service we received, although we did pay wholesale prices so we weren’t in a position to complain. At that same time another dozen or so reviews popped up and I recognized some of the reviewer’s names as his friends...

Moral of the story is look for clusters of good reviews when the bad reviews are written over long periods of time.

Old 08-22-2018, 05:54 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Two different companies:
#1 stated: no negative reviews are to be left during or after employment term. (So basically be dishonest)
#2 stated: any and all reviews will be monitored on sites. If you (the employee) remit a negative comment we will pursue legal means.
So in essence if you can't lie nicely type nothing at all.

The one business I worked for did an "employee in the spotlight" . It was such hogwash to pump up the owners ego. Let's face it ...no employee dared to give criticism when the "spotlight" feature also doled out a $100 gift card.

Old 08-22-2018, 06:38 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,323,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpertAnalysis View Post
You wouldn't be asked, you would be instructed to do so. If an employee would not write a positive review about his company then he is free to seek employment elsewhere. However, anyone who is directed by their employer to write a positive review should have no problem doing so. If you don't like your job then leave!
You sound like a bullying supervisor.

If I were in such situation, I would seek a legal advice or to see a counsellor before writing anything. I would not want to work for a bullying and lying employer who force employees to write positive reviews on the media to cover up for their bad deeds. I will tell the truth.

Old 08-22-2018, 06:41 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,288,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
My husband’s old company did this. All of the directors and VPs were instructed to write positive reviews. This happened several months ago, we were laughing at how ridiculous this was. Today on LinkedIn they announced they have the best online review of an employer for that market. Sleazy!
Any serious job seeker doesn't care about the positive reviews, they look at the problem ones, and if/how the company responds to them. And you look at the quality of the writing of the bad reviews and if they provide details which are important to you.

Old 08-22-2018, 06:42 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
I also know of small companies that have been targeted with bad reviews by competitors and or recruiting firms. One posted jobs on a popular job site and was contacted by a recruiting firm who warned them 'companies that rely solely on job sites have problems getting good candidates, you need to retain a qualified experienced personnel firm to assist you in screening candidates' The next day a steady series of reviews started appearing saying how bad they were to work for, how the management asked employees to skirt laws and bypass safety procedures.

Old 08-22-2018, 06:50 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,288,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Two different companies:
#1 stated: no negative reviews are to be left during or after employment term. (So basically be dishonest)
#2 stated: any and all reviews will be monitored on sites. If you (the employee) remit a negative comment we will pursue legal means.
So in essence if you can't lie nicely type nothing at all.

The one business I worked for did an "employee in the spotlight" . It was such hogwash to pump up the owners ego. Let's face it ...no employee dared to give criticism when the "spotlight" feature also doled out a $100 gift card.
And what are they going to do or how are they going to know if you left a negative review after you left?
This sounds bogus, because on Glassdoor the reviews are anonymous. So there is no way for the company to know if you did or didn't leave a review.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:45 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,558 times
No, I have never been asked or know of them asking anybody else.

At one job we did do our own customer experience surveys at the end of the month if not enough customers did them. We "had" to have so many, but you can't force a customer to do one. And 99% of the time, unless you're pissing people off, customers don't do them lol Finally they dropped that standard and now we don't have to fake them.

Old 08-22-2018, 07:51 AM

345 posts, read 252,392 times
I've never been asked to write a Glassdoor review, however, after I left a horrible company I was asked to remove my negative review.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:19 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Your company shouldn't be asking people to lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment