Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2018, 02:04 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,888,449 times

Advertisements

I am noticing an influx of people mostly from California relocating here (NYC). About 20% of the people I work with are originally from San Francisco or San Diego where as a year ago that number was 5%.

Also at industry events more and more I am running into folks from the West Coast. But it's not only the number of people that has increased but a difference in attitude. They are different from the earlier West Coast transplants.

This new batch of West Coast transplants (and some transplants from other areas as well) are TOO DAMN "HAPPY". And I mean "Happy" in quotes because it's not REAL!!!! It's so FAKE.

West Coast people - Why do some of your counterparts do this? And what's in the Kool-aid exactly? I don't want any, but what's inside???

It's not just me either - Other colleagues from NJ, DE, PA have mentioned the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 02:58 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,191,162 times
Years ago I worked with someone who was from Boston and had relocated to Silicon Valley. He complained about a lack of true friendships. He claimed West Coast people were only friendly with you as long as you could be useful to them. Once you couldn't provide any more help in getting them ahead, you were dropped. He longed for his East Coast friendships where you would do anything for your friend and they would do the same for you.

This could account for the Happy, since they're looking for someone new to exploit.

Old 09-14-2018, 03:37 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,888,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
This could account for the Happy, since they're looking for someone new to exploit.
I did feel they were looking for something... Inside intel, something. It does not help that these were sales people at a vendor we use. However, East coast sales people are pushy but not overly "elated" if that makes sense. I used to think it was the Vitamin D but then I increased my Vitamin D blood levels and I still could not fathom why they seem so "HAPPY".

Old 09-14-2018, 07:35 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
I did feel they were looking for something... Inside intel, something. It does not help that these were sales people at a vendor we use. However, East coast sales people are pushy but not overly "elated" if that makes sense. I used to think it was the Vitamin D but then I increased my Vitamin D blood levels and I still could not fathom why they seem so "HAPPY".
Marijuana is legal in California.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:31 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,580,711 times
Quote:
I am noticing an influx of people mostly from California relocating here (NYC). About 20% of the people I work with are originally from San Francisco or San Diego where as a year ago that number was 5%.

Also at industry events more and more I am running into folks from the West Coast. But it's not only the number of people that has increased but a difference in attitude. They are different from the earlier West Coast transplants.

This new batch of West Coast transplants (and some transplants from other areas as well) are TOO DAMN "HAPPY". And I mean "Happy" in quotes because it's not REAL!!!! It's so FAKE.

West Coast people - Why do some of your counterparts do this? And what's in the Kool-aid exactly? I don't want any, but what's inside???

It's not just me either - Other colleagues from NJ, DE, PA have mentioned the same thing.
Hint: it ain’t Kool Aid.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:32 PM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:

Descriptions like this are probably just as "fair" as the one about people from the East Coast....snarky, rude, impatient, always whining, ruthless, mercenary, and who talk too fast for other humans to remotely comprehend.

In other words, an unjust generalization that really means very little.

Old 09-15-2018, 07:58 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,872,320 times
Quote:
I am noticing an influx of people mostly from California relocating here (NYC).
That's because NYC has a lower cost of living than many parts of California.

Old 09-15-2018, 10:07 AM

225 posts, read 150,296 times
Down south they say that northerners are "mean people". I guess every region has their opinions about the other guys. But, as they say: "Opinions are like a**holes. Everyone has them and they all stink!".

Old 09-15-2018, 12:41 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,790,598 times
Quote:

I have met people from all over the world. Many are warm and friendly. Some a bit off kilter but nice astill...Only a small segment are mean, nasty and use others till they aren't useful....There's a lot who are good and few really bad...We usually only see which ones we want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment