Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2018, 07:16 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,250,798 times

Advertisements

1. I'm interested in going for my MSW at a top school like Columbia or Fordham. However, I heard that one would make the same salary if they go to a city college instead. Does going to a top school matter if you're going for an MSW? I would think if you're going to be a Licensed Clinical Social Worker it would matter? Wouldn't one get more clients with a Columbia diploma on the wall than one with a City College diploma?

2. How hard is the LCSW exam? I've read some horror stories online. But it can't be as hard as other certified exams out there like for Nurses, Doctors, Lawyers, IT (right?). Is it even as hard as the LSAT's or GRE's?

3. I've read conflicting information online about the salary of a Licensed Clinical Social Worker. I've read that it's comparable to a speech language pathologists, nurses and occupational therapist. Any truth to that? I've read that on some sites they make 58k and some other sites say 67k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 06:11 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times
Speech language pathology has better working hours, less competition, better pay and working conditions if you like working with kids. More guard rails in place to prevent burnout.

LCSW is asking for death by stress, low pay and unemployment. Follow the money trail. General Social services are getting cut back. But Autism/Down Syndrome is on the rise. Employment outlook for Speech Language Pathology is looking good. LCSW not so much.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Speech language pathology has better working hours, less competition, better pay and working conditions if you like working with kids. More guard rails in place to prevent burnout.

LCSW is asking for death by stress, low pay and unemployment. Follow the money trail. General Social services are getting cut back. But Autism/Down Syndrome is on the rise. Employment outlook for Speech Language Pathology is looking good. LCSW not so much.

I'm already a Social Worker and I like the work. I'm not sure what it's like being a LCSW so I can't speak on that. So maybe being LCSW is a lot different than being a Social Worker? How much are LCSW paid? When googling it says "$64,000." That doesn't look like low pay.

Each career has it's pros and cons. And depending on who you ask, you can get different answers on careers. Some feel Speech Pathology is boring and repetitive. To each his own. There isn't a universal quality about a job that everyone likes. You have to find out what you like and what you can tolerate.

Old 09-19-2018, 02:47 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
1. I'm interested in going for my MSW at a top school like Columbia or Fordham. However, I heard that one would make the same salary if they go to a city college instead. Does going to a top school matter if you're going for an MSW? I would think if you're going to be a Licensed Clinical Social Worker it would matter? Wouldn't one get more clients with a Columbia diploma on the wall than one with a City College diploma?

2. How hard is the LCSW exam? I've read some horror stories online. But it can't be as hard as other certified exams out there like for Nurses, Doctors, Lawyers, IT (right?). Is it even as hard as the LSAT's or GRE's?

3. I've read conflicting information online about the salary of a Licensed Clinical Social Worker. I've read that it's comparable to a speech language pathologists, nurses and occupational therapist. Any truth to that? I've read that on some sites they make 58k and some other sites say 67k.
It doesn't matter what school you go to for your MSW. Much more important is your experience before social work school, and your internships in school. Experience counts for MUCH more in this field (I am an LCSW) than what school you went to . No one cares.

By the way, Columbia is not considered the best social work school in NYC. The best 2 are Hunter and NYU. Your best bet is to try to get into Hunter (it's not easy to get in) because it's cheap and well-regarded. If you don't get into Hunter, I'd go to the one that is cheapest, that you like best, has a program that you feel works for you (some programs have flexible/weekend hours, etc.)

The LCSW exam is hard because there are lots of trick questions. You simply have to study for the exam specifically and you will pass (there are plenty of study materials available).

Salaries for social workers are lower than for any other master's degree.

Some new MSW's make in the 40's. It's sad but true.

I'd say you need to be working in the field for many years to make 58K. Some supervisors (after several years in the field) may make 60K or 65K. Directors may make 70K but many never make it to that level.

Also, please be aware that if you are interested in getting your LCSW you need 3 years of work experience in a clinical setting. These jobs are VERY difficult to get.
Clinics are not hiring full-time social workers these days, by and large, but are instead hiring part time "fee for service" social work therapists so they don't have to pay benefits or provide health insurance to social workers. Getting a full-time job as a therapist is therefore very difficult to impossible.
Be aware of that, and don't plan on that.

Honestly, the best thing about the field is that it's interesting, never boring, and there are social work jobs available (but not therapist jobs, other social work jobs - case manager jobs, etc.)

Also, please be aware that social work work settings are often rough, and managers tend to be poorly skilled and sometimes downright unprofessional. There is a lot of turnover in the field and we aren't really treated like professionals.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
It doesn't matter what school you go to for your MSW. Much more important is your experience before social work school, and your internships in school. Experience counts for MUCH more in this field (I am an LCSW) than what school you went to . No one cares.

By the way, Columbia is not considered the best social work school in NYC. The best 2 are Hunter and NYU. Your best bet is to try to get into Hunter (it's not easy to get in) because it's cheap and well-regarded. If you don't get into Hunter, I'd go to the one that is cheapest, that you like best, has a program that you feel works for you (some programs have flexible/weekend hours, etc.)

The LCSW exam is hard because there are lots of trick questions. You simply have to study for the exam specifically and you will pass (there are plenty of study materials available).

Salaries for social workers are lower than for any other master's degree.

Some new MSW's make in the 40's. It's sad but true.

I'd say you need to be working in the field for many years to make 58K. Some supervisors (after several years in the field) may make 60K or 65K. Directors may make 70K but many never make it to that level.

Also, please be aware that if you are interested in getting your LCSW you need 3 years of work experience in a clinical setting. These jobs are VERY difficult to get.
Clinics are not hiring full-time social workers these days, by and large, but are instead hiring part time "fee for service" social work therapists so they don't have to pay benefits or provide health insurance to social workers. Getting a full-time job as a therapist is therefore very difficult to impossible.
Be aware of that, and don't plan on that.

Honestly, the best thing about the field is that it's interesting, never boring, and there are social work jobs available (but not therapist jobs, other social work jobs - case manager jobs, etc.)

Also, please be aware that social work work settings are often rough, and managers tend to be poorly skilled and sometimes downright unprofessional. There is a lot of turnover in the field and we aren't really treated like professionals.

Extremely helpful and informative reply. HUGE thanks.

Followup question, on Columbia's website it states that their graduates typically make $65,860. Are these skewed numbers?

This is the link:

https://www.mailman.columbia.edu/bec...ts-and-figures

I'm Social Worker (3 yrs experience) and I already make in the 40s. I wouldn't want to graduate with an MSW and make the same amount of money along with being saddled with tuition.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:46 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
Extremely helpful and informative reply. HUGE thanks.

Followup question, on Columbia's website it states that their graduates typically make $65,860. Are these skewed numbers?

This is the link:

https://www.mailman.columbia.edu/bec...ts-and-figures

I'm Social Worker (3 yrs experience) and I already make in the 40s. I wouldn't want to graduate with an MSW and make the same amount of money along with being saddled with tuition.
Yes, skewed numbers.

If you already have experience, that's a big plus, and you can make more than 40s with an MSW.

But honestly, the 65K sounds like a supervisor salary at most social work jobs. You may need more years of experience (plus an LMSW and then an LCSW possibly, depending on the job, whether it's clinical or not) to get a supervisory job.

There is no way that 65K is an average salary for new MSW's. (Personally, I know very few social workers making that). Certainly not new grads.

If that is average, that means as many are making 85K as are making 45K? No way.

Old 09-23-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Yes, skewed numbers.

If you already have experience, that's a big plus, and you can make more than 40s with an MSW.

But honestly, the 65K sounds like a supervisor salary at most social work jobs. You may need more years of experience (plus an LMSW and then an LCSW possibly, depending on the job, whether it's clinical or not) to get a supervisory job.

There is no way that 65K is an average salary for new MSW's. (Personally, I know very few social workers making that). Certainly not new grads.

If that is average, that means as many are making 85K as are making 45K? No way.

Ok. After everything stated, I would like to pursue an MSW. I'm hoping to get a scholarship.

I'm working on filling out graduate school applications and they want applicants who fully know what they plan on studying. They also want applicants who know what field they will pursue once they graduate.

You said you're an LCSW. Are you a therapist or work in a medical setting?

I'm interested in being a Medical Social Worker. Is that something similar to what you do? I just want to be aware because you cautioned against being a LCSW because they aren't hiring full time workers. Essentially, I'm looking for a pathway for after I get my MSW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment