Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2018, 10:46 PM

1 posts, read 412 times

Advertisements

Hi all... I'm new to the forum, but have been looking for a place to get insight, or commiserate with some other people who may be in the same position as me.

I'm a business analyst (BA) who had 15+ years experience at the same company. I knew the corporate structure, all the relevant data elements, where to locate them, etc.

I'm 5 weeks into a new job, at a new company. I work at a remote office away from my team and manager. As such, I have received little to no training or orientation on the company, where to locate data, how their data is stored, or any context for the data. I was recently assigned a project from my manager, through email, asking me to write a set of requirements based on an attachment. The email asked that if I have any questions to ask my manager. No project manager to contact, no SME, nothing. Not even assigning me to work with a team member to learn the business. Plus when I ask for help my email go unanswered or I'm told to schedule a call - which always seem to get canceled or postponed.

This has been a very demoralizing experience, and I feel like I've been setup for failure. Has anyone been in a similar situation..?
I really don't know what to do? So frustrating!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 05:18 AM

4,974 posts, read 2,715,970 times
Sounds like you are in a company that doesn't know what it is doing, or expects its employees to just do their jobs without any kind of assistance.

My last IT job was where management expected its software developers to do their jobs without any help. Their rationale was "we hired you to do this job, so do it!"

You may be in this kind of company. If so, then asking for help may be dangerous since they expect you to perform flawlessly and if you ask for help you may be labeled as an incompetent. Be careful and feel your way to see what they are after. If you can, talk to other BAs to see their perspective. I wish you the best of luck.

Old 10-20-2018, 08:10 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,874,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi71 View Post
Hi all... I'm new to the forum, but have been looking for a place to get insight, or commiserate with some other people who may be in the same position as me.

I'm a business analyst (BA) who had 15+ years experience at the same company. I knew the corporate structure, all the relevant data elements, where to locate them, etc.

I'm 5 weeks into a new job, at a new company. I work at a remote office away from my team and manager. As such, I have received little to no training or orientation on the company, where to locate data, how their data is stored, or any context for the data. I was recently assigned a project from my manager, through email, asking me to write a set of requirements based on an attachment. The email asked that if I have any questions to ask my manager. No project manager to contact, no SME, nothing. Not even assigning me to work with a team member to learn the business. Plus when I ask for help my email go unanswered or I'm told to schedule a call - which always seem to get canceled or postponed.

This has been a very demoralizing experience, and I feel like I've been setup for failure. Has anyone been in a similar situation..?
I really don't know what to do? So frustrating!
Ask you manager to assign you a "buddy" for day-to-day interaction on things.

Also, go find a mentor in the new company -- preferably someone 2 or 3 grade levels above you and not in your direct chain of command.

Old 10-20-2018, 09:00 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,990,828 times
Makes you wonder how companies like these even stay in business. New Employees thrown to the wolves without any training, access to the programs the company uses, No guidance, no contacts to even bring these issues up to.

All too common in today's private sector. The sad thing is companies have had years to fine tune their processes and most places have gotten WORSE. No organization, No leadership, nothing, no communication or direction.

Its a race to the bottom. I would start looking again. The reality is if the company has descended into that level of mediocrity, they probably won't last long. They will lose customers/business sooner or later. Its inevitable and begin the layoff process.

It generally doesn't take long to validate if its worth your while to stay at a place.

Old 10-20-2018, 02:40 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,889,690 times
Dust off your resume again. Period.

Old 10-20-2018, 02:57 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,920,137 times
BA is a very broad title. There are many companies where BAs do work with little supervision, and are expected to figure things out as they go in very unknown environments. With 15+ years experience, they probably see you as a senior level person who doesn't need any direction.

That doesn't help your problem, but it might explain it.

Old 10-20-2018, 03:32 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
I think this is really common. Start digging, asking questions, figure it out. Even ask your boss. I don’t agree with not asking questions. You’re newer to the company, now is the time.

Old 10-20-2018, 03:35 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,801,762 times
Well, you have 15 yrs experience so everyone may be thinking you can handle pretty much anything. I do understand the importance of context and that data is stored in different ways of course. I'd guess they do too but would also guess that they are thinking with 15 yrs, you'd be in a position to learn that pretty easily and quickly.

That said, I'd talk to my manager about it and push to get on his/her schedule. Let them know it is important. You can't be shy about it, corner them.

Best of luck.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:24 PM

3,227 posts, read 1,607,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi71 View Post
[...]to write a set of requirements based on an attachment.[...]
Is this a high process company or a no process place? Can anybody give you an example of how they document requirements there?

Old 10-20-2018, 04:32 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,486,875 times
I am sorry. Experience can actually be a disadvantage. I would forget the manager and make some friends. Use the intranet.

I have a lot of experience too. None of the positions I had taught me what I am learning now. I am humbled.

Managers are a very important resource. However, you do not know how this individual got his or her job. This person may not be knowledge or has an insurmountable workload.

Use what you know and build upon it with written material and coworkers.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment