Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 10:29 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
I put in hours, I study, and I put in effort and don't have luck and oh, I got different results. And so do others who do the same things you say you did, who don't have luck.
This sounds an awful lot like "I've worked really hard, I deserve X!"

It isn't the effort you put in. It's the results you produce. Some people input tremendous effort but simply don't realize results. Others seem to produce results effortlessly. And everyone else is along that scale somewhere.

If you're working really, really hard and aren't moving forward, you really need to consider that it's you and not "the system" that's at fault. Maybe you're just in the wrong line of work, and your efforts would be more fruitful in another endeavor?

There are things I work really, really hard at and get sub-optimal results, like painting. I do not do those things for a living. I've hitched my wagon to work that I get really good results at without massive, continuous, back-breaking labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 10:58 AM

801 posts, read 547,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
If you're working really, really hard and aren't moving forward, you really need to consider that it's you and not "the system" that's at fault. Maybe you're just in the wrong line of work, and your efforts would be more fruitful in another endeavor?
Precisely.

You also need to work smart. Not just hard.

Old 10-27-2018, 11:06 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,228,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
This sounds an awful lot like "I've worked really hard, I deserve X!"

It isn't the effort you put in. It's the results you produce. Some people input tremendous effort but simply don't realize results. Others seem to produce results effortlessly. And everyone else is along that scale somewhere.
You mean results such as:
* four great dragon slaying stories where I solved a massive problem the client was needing and I came through like a champ for them
* over a dozen recommendations posted on my LI profile where former employers are singing my praises
* Repeat engagements in consulting - multiple at firms and multiples at clients - people like my work and I bring them the value.

Despite this, the field I was in did not provide me with the level of stability and pay I am looking for.

So, what did I do wrong? Obviously rocking at my job is not enough.

Quote:
DING! DING! Yes! I totally agree.

And tried that.

Attempted 3 career changes into three in-demand fields. Despite all the accomplishments in my previous roles, I got rejected for not having experience in the new roles I was seeking. Despite lots of transferable experience, education and certifications.

Interesting, huh? Employers believe someone who rocks in an old role, learns new things, and will become a blithering idiot in the new role. I don't understand that mentality.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:00 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times
Quote:
You mean results such as:
* four great dragon slaying stories where I solved a massive problem the client was needing and I came through like a champ for them
* over a dozen recommendations posted on my LI profile where former employers are singing my praises
* Repeat engagements in consulting - multiple at firms and multiples at clients - people like my work and I bring them the value.

Despite this, the field I was in did not provide me with the level of stability and pay I am looking for.

So, what did I do wrong? Obviously rocking at my job is not enough.

DING! DING! Yes! I totally agree.

And tried that.

Attempted 3 career changes into three in-demand fields. Despite all the accomplishments in my previous roles, I got rejected for not having experience in the new roles I was seeking. Despite lots of transferable experience, education and certifications.

Interesting, huh? Employers believe someone who rocks in an old role, learns new things, and will become a blithering idiot in the new role. I don't understand that mentality.
According to these guys you should just give up sit on the sidelines and be quiet. If the system is only working for 20% of people it's the other 80% they just didn't try hard enough or are too stupid, end of story.

"If you can't make it work oh well the jokes on you"

Old 10-27-2018, 12:37 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,918,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
According to these guys you should just give up sit on the sidelines and be quiet. If the system is only working for 20% of people it's the other 80% they just didn't try hard enough or are too stupid, end of story.

"If you can't make it work oh well the jokes on you"
Unemployment is the lowest its been in 20 years (even U6 is under 8%). Things are working for most people.

The 5-10% of people who can't find work need to ask what they are be doing wrong. There is a lot of good advice given here, a common response seems to be that people aren't looking for help, they are looking for validation of their complaints. I understand some people need to vent, but don't disguise it as asking for help.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:59 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,116,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
I've explained different types of jobs people call 'entry level'. None were 'McJobs'. If your resume is getting ignored, what's wrong with it? I assume each resume is tailored to each company and job that is applied to, what did career counselors and personal friends say when they reviewed those resumes that weren't picked? Again, blaming some external factor never helped anyone improve, and never helped anyone get hired.

What networking is being done? Blindly submitting resumes is a fairly poor job search strategy. Do you want help finding a job here, or do you want validation of your opinions?

I'm not talking about certs. I'm talking about thinking about how you failed to respond to questions in the interview, or how you failed to tailor your resume to that particular company, etc.

The more you focus on what you could have done better, how you could have acted better, what you could have said or done differently, the better your next interview will go. Personally, after each interview I review the notes I took during it, and spend time thinking through what I could have done different.
Yea that’s an idea, I never stammered or came up short on my interviews. I was probably more qualified than the people interviewing me. So then the reflection starts getting more and more esoteric .... did they like my hair cut, maybe my face is not symmetric enough.

Resumes were custom for a while now I have a standard resume as I don’t know which jobs or employers are lagit and it takes time to write a custom resume and my time is valuable.

I may do a small bullet list in the into that addresses some of the key qualifications they are asking for if it’s not apparent in my resume

Last edited by pittsflyer; 10-27-2018 at 01:08 PM..

Old 10-27-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Yea that’s an idea, I never stammered or came up short on my interviews. I was probably more qualified than the people interviewing me. So then the reflection starts getting more and more esoteric .... did they like my hair cut, maybe my face is not symmetric enough.

Resumes were custom for a while now I have a standard resume as I don’t know which jobs or employers are lagit and it takes time to write a custom resume and my time is valuable.

I may do a small bullet list in the into that addresses some of the key qualifications they are asking for if it’s not apparent in my resume
From my experience, it's worth taking time to research each company, tailor a resume and cover letter to that company. A few resumes that are customized go a longer way than a standard resume that is sent out, IMO.

I'm also a very big fan of mock interviews, and practice in general. Have friends, family, old co-workers, etc. interview you and have some very honest conversations on what went right and what went wrong. Interviewing is a skill like anything else, and can be practiced. Take a few notes during an interview, as soon as you get out write down what seems important, and be self-critical. Study what happened, and assume as long as you didn't get the job, there's something you didn't do as well as you could. That's how I approach things, at least.

Old 10-27-2018, 10:34 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,228,935 times
Quote:
Unemployment is the lowest its been in 20 years (even U6 is under 8%). Things are working for most people.
The labor participation rate is slightly off the recent record lows. That indicates that the job market is not as nice as advertised. In addition, the lack of entry level jobs that require no experience (except sales) for recent grads and career changers also indicates a problem. There are also zero internships for recent graduates (those disappeared in the 2000's).

Things are working only for those not wanting to enter/re-enter the job market, not making a career change, and for those who are not over a certain age (varies by location).

Old 10-27-2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:
The labor participation rate is slightly off the recent record lows. That indicates that the job market is not as nice as advertised. In addition, the lack of entry level jobs that require no experience (except sales) for recent grads and career changers also indicates a problem. There are also zero internships for recent graduates (those disappeared in the 2000's).

Things are working only for those not wanting to enter/re-enter the job market, not making a career change, and for those who are not over a certain age (varies by location).
You seem to have your mind made up regardless of what anyone says, so best of luck to you. There's no point in trying to talk to you

Last edited by Lekrii; 10-28-2018 at 12:04 AM..

Old 10-28-2018, 03:40 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,116,882 times
Quote:
From my experience, it's worth taking time to research each company, tailor a resume and cover letter to that company. A few resumes that are customized go a longer way than a standard resume that is sent out, IMO.

I'm also a very big fan of mock interviews, and practice in general. Have friends, family, old co-workers, etc. interview you and have some very honest conversations on what went right and what went wrong. Interviewing is a skill like anything else, and can be practiced. Take a few notes during an interview, as soon as you get out write down what seems important, and be self-critical. Study what happened, and assume as long as you didn't get the job, there's something you didn't do as well as you could. That's how I approach things, at least.
Thats a good idea. My wife is almost a C level executive so I will have her see if she is willing. She acknowledges that my technical skills are nearly beyond questioning for the most part but my social skills are lacking.

It is incredibly rare that I make technical errors and I have the knowledge level of an MS or even a PhD, I just haven't wanted to shell out BIG money to get credentialed, as well as have to give up intellectual property in the case of a PhD program. When MIT rolls out their MS in EE with Edx I will for sure enroll. Im not doubling down on ChE lol.

For now I have to finish up my A&P cert, all I have left is the final practical and I hate not finishing what I start before starting something new. I have already been working on my own plane for years so its more or less just making sure I dont screw up sections such as fire systems or jet engines again and at least have a deep academic knowlage to pass the test. They dont expect everyone to have worked on everything just know about it.

I just had a phone interview for a gas plant job in another state and it seemed to go really well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment