Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 03:22 PM

6,394 posts, read 4,121,269 times

Advertisements

I don't know the term so I will do my best to describe them and give examples.

I'm talking about someone that makes the worst assumption about you based on what they observed one time from a distance.

An example is this. When I was a young engineer, my company was hired to rebuild the north side of a zoo. One morning, my crew and I were out there. I spent some time telling the surveyors what I wanted them to layout. Then I walked around with the foreman as I told him what I wanted his guys to do for the day. Basically, form up for a new wall there.

Then I got a call from my boss. My boss half laughingly told me the zoo director, aka client, just called him and told him he drove by the site and saw me talking instead of working. Huh? I was the project engineer. Was he expecting to see me shovel dirt around?

My husband is a PR and marketing pro for a home construction company. He just called me and told me what happened earlier today. Before a meeting today, he was responding to a client over email. A superintendent walked by his office and saw him "playing" on his computer. A little later, he overheard the superintendent remarking to someone else that my husband was playing on his computer instead of working.

I've been working in the corporate world for years in several different companies. I've run into this kind of people many times. They see you do something and assume you're playing games even though it is work related. Another example is in my previous engineering firm the main mean of communication was texting. One time I was texting my guys out in the field something I wanted done. My boss at the time saw me on my phone and later commented that I was texting instead of working. I lost my temper and showed him my phone the series of texts between me and the guys in the field.

Is there a term to describe this type of people in the work place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 03:29 PM

11,123 posts, read 7,188,359 times
An assumer?, with emphasis on the first three letters?

Sounds like someone who assumes or jumps to conclusions without getting the facts straight first. That's the worst kind of person; reacting first before thinking (or not thinking at all). And if that isn't bad enough, just leaving things as-is without correcting or apologizing. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Prima donna? Jerk?

Old 11-07-2018, 03:30 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,226,741 times
Yes. Incompetent A**hole busybodies. Ignore them to the extent you can.

Old 11-07-2018, 03:49 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,377,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post

Is there a term to describe this type of people in the work place?
Yes, incompetent management.

Old 11-07-2018, 03:52 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,246,501 times
No idea what they are called, but they are everywhere.

Old 11-07-2018, 03:53 PM

6,394 posts, read 4,121,269 times
^^^ While you guys are correct, there has to be a specific term that describes this type of people. I can't be the only one who have observed their existence. You can exercise for 4 hours. But the moment you take a 5 minutes rest, they see you and assume you sit on your lazy butt all day long.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:31 PM

4,986 posts, read 2,720,903 times
Ever hear the statement "when you assume, you usually make an a** out of "u" and "me"?

Old 11-07-2018, 05:49 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,051,677 times
Not sure what they’re called but they are of the same ilk as the second guessers

Old 11-07-2018, 06:07 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,973,798 times
There is a legendary story of Henry Ford, a man who understood that efficiency is important AND so are ideas and innovation.
As the story goes, an efficiency expert complained about a man sitting in his office with his feet up on his desk.
Ford’s response was, “That man once had an idea that saved me a million dollars.
When he got it, his feet were right where they are now.”

Old 11-07-2018, 07:11 PM

4,986 posts, read 2,720,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
There is a legendary story of Henry Ford, a man who understood that efficiency is important AND so are ideas and innovation.
As the story goes, an efficiency expert complained about a man sitting in his office with his feet up on his desk.
Ford’s response was, “That man once had an idea that saved me a million dollars.
When he got it, his feet were right where they are now.”
This story reminds me of the comic book "Gaston Lagaffe" from the 1960s. This person was a lazy writer for a magazine in France. He would often fall asleep at his desk, angering his manager. After being berated by the manager, Gaston told him that he would get his best ideas when sleeping. His manager stalked off saying that Gaston was an idiot.

Gaston then put his head back on his desk and fell asleep. But soon one of his best ideas that he ever had hit him like a lightning bolt! He sprang up, ready to implement his new idea. He went over to his closet, opened the door and took out a pillow. He placed the pillow on his desk, sat down and put his head onto the soft pillow and went back to sleep. He definitely had a great idea. So let the experts sleep and get their great ideas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment