Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 689 times

Advertisements

Leadership said that our building would be getting more crowded because other teams are moving in (this much was true) and that everyone was going to share the burden of having less room (this was not true). My team was moved to the other end of the building and instead of having single- and double-offices we now have double-offices and team rooms. Not a big deal to me, until I walked back to our old end of the building and saw that all our old offices are now single-offices. To me this is a clear indication that leadership sees my team on the low end of the totem pole, possibly on the verge of losing budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 09:53 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
Um, ok. Is there a question here?

Old 12-02-2018, 09:57 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,126,094 times
Obviously, none of us work where you do to know if you've connected the dots correctly or not.

You can probably find out the answer to what you are wondering, but you'll need to frame the questions in a way that doesn't sounds petty. "Team X must be favored over my team, because they have bigger offices and team rooms," is only going to sound resentful.

You might look for an opportunity to inquire of your management about how permanent your new office location is. Point out that the new location has some shortcomings that make it harder to do your jobs well (assuming that it does) and ask whether the location will change again in the foreseeable future. (Partly because I think that's a possibility you're overlooking.) Ideally, you should emphasize the benefit to the company, or the department, of having your team in better space.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:04 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,375,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pineapplethief View Post
Leadership said that our building would be getting more crowded because other teams are moving in (this much was true) and that everyone was going to share the burden of having less room (this was not true). My team was moved to the other end of the building and instead of having single- and double-offices we now have double-offices and team rooms. Not a big deal to me, until I walked back to our old end of the building and saw that all our old offices are now single-offices. To me this is a clear indication that leadership sees my team on the low end of the totem pole, possibly on the verge of losing budget.
So use this as a wake-up call to update your resume and get another job before they come by and have a layoff to replace you with cheaper people.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:05 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,375,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Um, ok. Is there a question here?
Who says there has to be a question? The OP stated a situation for comment. So if you have something useful to say, then make a comment.

Old 12-02-2018, 04:18 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,517,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Who says there has to be a question? The OP stated a situation for comment. So if you have something useful to say, then make a comment.
What comments can anyone possibly make? The OP stated a situation. Okay, it is what it is.

Old 12-02-2018, 04:30 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post

The OP uses the word 'scam' in the title as if to imply the company acted wrong but there is no detail - none at all - to indicate oneway or the other. Maybe his "team" is performing poorly or being phased out and everyone else in the company sees it as a positive move?

Why post a thread unless you want comments. Forums are for discussions not personal status updates. If you just want to make a statement, make a tweet or update your status on FB. And if you do want comments, then give some direction for those comments to run.

Old 12-02-2018, 04:42 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,665,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pineapplethief View Post
So you're actively looking for a new job, right?

Old 12-02-2018, 05:22 PM

5,117 posts, read 6,100,457 times
What conditions did the occupants that took over the space you were previously in have before they were moved. It may be that they came from larger spaces so they were shrunk also.

Or it may just be that they had a more forceful management team than you did who could justify their need for space better than your managers could. Happens all the time. I helped our managers justify our groups space during several resizing. Sometimes we won, sometimes we lost. It can also tell you who the 'favored projects will be over the next year or so.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:35 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,086,353 times
It's the OP's fault. They caught him stealing their pineapples and now they're making his whole team pay for it.

#ObviousTrollWhoIsRetiredNow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment