Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2018, 07:40 AM

2 posts, read 1,163 times

Advertisements

I'm an exempt employee (computer worker) working at a plant in Illinois. One week ago there was relatively heavy snow, which resulted in power outage, and our plant was closed for the whole day. Everyone had been promptly notified not to come to work on that day.

Later, I received a direction from the manager to put accrued free time on that say - vacation, or sick, or personal time off.

From what I found,

https://webapps.dol.gov/elaws/whd/flsa/overtime/cr4.htm

"As a general rule, if the exempt employee performs any work during the workweek, he or she must be paid the full salary amount. An employer may not make deductions from an exempt employee's pay for absences caused by the employer or by the operating requirements of the business."

However, this is not salary deduction, but rather demanding to take accrued time off. Is employer allowed to do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 12:15 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
Not sure about Illinois, but in New Jersey, we had to take PTO if the office was closed due to weather.

Old 12-03-2018, 01:17 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,375,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groc22 View Post
I'm an exempt employee (computer worker) working at a plant in Illinois. One week ago there was relatively heavy snow, which resulted in power outage, and our plant was closed for the whole day. Everyone had been promptly notified not to come to work on that day.

Later, I received a direction from the manager to put accrued free time on that say - vacation, or sick, or personal time off.

From what I found,

https://webapps.dol.gov/elaws/whd/flsa/overtime/cr4.htm

"As a general rule, if the exempt employee performs any work during the workweek, he or she must be paid the full salary amount. An employer may not make deductions from an exempt employee's pay for absences caused by the employer or by the operating requirements of the business."

However, this is not salary deduction, but rather demanding to take accrued time off. Is employer allowed to do that?
I would think so. You weren't working that day. Management can schedule your vacation days whenever they wish or not. That doesn't mean all of them will, but they can. If you were working at a restaurant and you were on salary and they closed for repairs, they would have you use up any sort of vacation coming to you.

What is key here, is if they do this. If they do, such as in your circumstances I would take that to mean the company is running with a very tight budget. Which means if there is a blip on their radar for anything, they wouldn't think twice about having a quick layoff.

So while you might not like what they did, I would take it as an indication about how stable continued employment with them is.

Old 12-03-2018, 01:20 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,772,911 times
That is really universal all over the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment