Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2018, 05:55 AM

853 posts, read 648,447 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am working full time and studying a Master's Degree full time as well. Fortunately I am only with the final thesis, that does not require to go there, I mean, I am working in my final thesis at home. However, I need to set up regular meetings at least once a month, in person, at my professor office in college.

The job is a traineeship, under a fixed term contract, a temporary contract that will end in March. The problem is that the deadline of my final thesis is in 3rd March (03/03/2019) as well. My work schedule is 08.00 - 17.00 but sometimes can extend to 18.00 or 19.00 in a busy day for me (hardly ever I had been to 19.00 at office). I spend around 1 hour to 1 hour and 30 minutes to commute from home to office but is common to spend 1 hour and 30 minutes from office to home because of the traffic.

I am afraid I can't do everything well at this moment since the final thesis has a tight deadline and I need to finish my degree as soon as possible since I do not have a permanent contract and because of the Master's Degree I can't move from my city to work abroad (to work to other countries). I need time to finish my final thesis, is not an option, I need to finish it in March because the next date would be in July. Also I was offered a job and another opportunity to work in Germany (I am living, studying and working in Spain).

I am stressed with my Master's Degree at this moment, is there anything I can do in my job to buy some time for my final thesis avoiding confrontations / problems with my superiors?

Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 06:09 AM

4,972 posts, read 2,712,589 times
I think that your jobs have the higher priority. That is your livelihood and where your money is coming from. So stay in your best job or take any job that will further your career. Your school should understand that you work for a living and accommodate you as best as they are able. If you have to graduate later than expected, then so be it.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:00 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post

I am stressed with my Master's Degree at this moment, is there anything I can do in my job to buy some time for my final thesis avoiding confrontations / problems with my superiors?
Write down your entire situation. Write down the ideal plan for plan A. Then write a plan B. Ask for a meeting with management there to discuss your situation and present your plan A that will benefit you the most. Ask them for their help, perhaps they can have someone cover for you, or they could get another temp for a while. In other words, they are managers and should have answers to problems, that's what managers do. Allow them to talk over ideas with you. They could very well come up with a suggestion that would work for you that is good for them too.

Your request is reasonable and I think they will want to work with you on this.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:55 AM

853 posts, read 648,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
I think that your jobs have the higher priority. That is your livelihood and where your money is coming from. So stay in your best job or take any job that will further your career. Your school should understand that you work for a living and accommodate you as best as they are able. If you have to graduate later than expected, then so be it.
The traineeship will end on march no matter what I do, the contract ends in that date.

Old 12-31-2018, 06:17 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
I don't know why came first but I assume the Master's program
So you took the job knowing the end date would conflict with your thesis date.

How do you meet with your professor if you are working full time--and "full out"--meaning overtime...

Don't you have to take time off to do that or do you meet at night or on weekend?

I think your company is not going to make your job easier because that is why you are there- for them to get maximum use from your efforts

Good luck...

Old 12-31-2018, 06:52 AM

4,972 posts, read 2,712,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
The traineeship will end on march no matter what I do, the contract ends in that date.
But you were offered a job in Germany. If that is permanent, then concentrate on that. So that job is going to wait for you until March? That would take precedence over the degree in my opinion. But if you can't be fired because of your contract that ends in March, then go ahead and try to finish your degree as fast as you can. Working for your temporary employer 8am to 7pm is not a hard schedule, even with a long commute. In my experience, that is not much overtime if any. And you only have to do that for about 2 months.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:03 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
You'll need to make sacrifices. Either money, health, time or opportunities. Pick one.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:13 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Didn't you know this would happen way ahead of time? What was your plan then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment