Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 11:44 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,662 times

Advertisements

So I wanted to get people's views on taking a job that pays exactly the same as your last job (pay rate isn't great, better than minimum wage but not by much), i.e... would you take the job or would you hold out for a better job?

So my former company let go a bunch of people shortly before Christmas (company bought out, departments gutted etc...) and once again I am on the job hunt. Granted New Year's just past so I consider the job hunt starting officially today. That being said lets assume the potential new job paid exactly the same as the old job and both in your opinion are boring (i.e... not really the dream job) would you take the new job just to avoid the stigma of long term unemployment or would you keep looking?

Granted I definitely do not want to hit 3-5months and still unemployed, but a part of me feels that finically w I can do better, even if it just 3-5$ "better". So to those in or where in a similar situation, would you keep looking or just take the job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 11:50 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
I would look closely at the 'cost' of the new job. If it is the same low pay consider the hours, your commute, fringe benefits. It is always easier to look for a job when you have one so accept a suitable offer but keep looking for something that is a real step-up.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:53 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,661,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
So I wanted to get people's views on taking a job that pays exactly the same as your last job (pay rate isn't great, better than minimum wage but not by much), i.e... would you take the job or would you hold out for a better job?
All else being equal, no increase actually equals a pay cut. You should always be moving forward. You need to ask yourself why you're making a lateral move, and not a forward move. If you aren't learning skills that make you more valuable, you're wasting your time.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:54 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
Quote:

So my former company let go a bunch of people shortly before Christmas (company bought out, departments gutted etc...) and once again I am on the job hunt. Granted New Year's just past so I consider the job hunt starting officially today. That being said lets assume the potential new job paid exactly the same as the old job and both in your opinion are boring (i.e... not really the dream job) would you take the new job just to avoid the stigma of long term unemployment or would you keep looking?

Granted I definitely do not want to hit 3-5months and still unemployed, but a part of me feels that finically w I can do better, even if it just 3-5$ "better". So to those in or where in a similar situation, would you keep looking or just take the job?
I'd be there with bells on! Unless you have 6 months saved, you are in danger. Best to be working even a bad position than be scraping by while waiting for that dream job to appear.

Old 01-02-2019, 12:17 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,882,899 times
If unemployed, take anything you can get.

Old 01-02-2019, 12:21 PM

482 posts, read 885,912 times
I've taken 2 jobs I didn't want due to "writing on the wall" where I was currently working at the time. The first scenario, the company got bought out and I would've lost my job in the next 6 months to 1 year, but within that time frame, life would have been hell. The 2nd scenario, the company was slowly going under and is somehow still afloat. I liked the job/coworkers/location, but the owner was bankrupting himself and running a poor business.

Both of the 2 jobs I took, I didn't last more than a year. I took them just for the paycheck. The work/jobs themselves/companies had 0 interest to me. If you think you have the time to really wait and find something you want, do that; if not, and unemployment is a real threat, sometimes you have to take what you can. Job hopping sucks, but unemployment sucks worse.

Old 01-02-2019, 12:35 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,537,898 times
You gain more from a job besides salary; commute distance, benefits, coworkers,skills,etc

Same salary but those other things change and it isn't the same

You got as much chance to get a pay raise there as you do finding a job for a few dollars more. After 6 months there, you are worth the time and training they spent on you. And you might find a different job there.

Old 01-02-2019, 01:32 PM

12,107 posts, read 23,274,107 times
I bet unemployed people who hold out for better jobs typically find themselves unemployed for a longer period of time. I have bills to pay, so i would take the job.

Old 01-02-2019, 01:44 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
Quote:

I've actually taken a pay cut to move. So maybe I'm not the type you want advice from. But in the end, $$ isn't everything in my opinion. You want to look at the total compensation, as well as how the new job aligns with your overall career plans.

Just looking at salary may come back and haunt you in the long run. I would look at the overall picture.

Old 01-02-2019, 02:52 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,232,002 times
I did this back in November. After graduating from college this past May, I started working in finance at a company located in the suburbs of Philadelphia. As someone who lives in the city and absolutely ABHORS the suburbs, the four hour round-trip commute wasn't doing it for me. I applied for a similar position (within a different industry, however) at the same rate of pay, but with an office located in Center City. I started for my current company back in November, and I was beyond ecstatic to make the same rate of pay: it is much higher than what the average 23 year old makes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment