Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 05:49 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,090,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Depends on the type of job. These days a Bachelor's Degree is just a "foot in the door" type thing. I would hate to be someone without a degree looking for a job in corporate America right now. If you have dreams of sitting in an office in a suit and tie, you will need a college degree. I'm not saying that a college degree makes you smarter or a better person, it's just that companies will not hire people in senior-level positions who don't have a degree. Get the degree. It's worth it. Better still, if you can get a job in a company that offers to pay for your college education do it. Even if the job is in the mail room or emptying the trash.

That being said, I have interviewed many young applicants for low to mid-level management jobs and can't believe the sense of entitlement they have. They automatically assume that a degree and a year of experience guarantees them a management position. Heck, I would go so far as to say that these applicants are lucky to have jobs in the first place. None of them stay late, demand to work from home, utilize all company resources available to them without reciprocity, and then whine about the work that they are required to do. I'm tired of having to pay to send these people to simple Microsoft Excel training. Just what the heck did you learn in college anyway??????

Sounds to me like an employee without a degree would be a better option then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 02:26 PM

2,039 posts, read 4,555,611 times
I have a position in my company that requires a degree (new hires). However, I only have a HS diploma. I'm a copy editor. I have a knack for spelling, grammer, and punctuation. I got the position because, as a word processor, I wouldn't just type what was put in front of me. If there were mistakes, I would correct them. I would even reword really confusing sentences or question things that didn't make sense. I read as I type, I don't just look at the little red marks and blindly type. This little knack of mine got recognized and they offered me the copy editor position with a raise and a private office. However, this has taken place after 25 years of working in the trenches. I believe in some cases, experience can make up for a degree.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:12 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,090,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
I have a position in my company that requires a degree (new hires). However, I only have a HS diploma. I'm a copy editor. I have a knack for spelling, grammer, and punctuation. I got the position because, as a word processor, I wouldn't just type what was put in front of me. If there were mistakes, I would correct them. I would even reword really confusing sentences or question things that didn't make sense. I read as I type, I don't just look at the little red marks and blindly type. This little knack of mine got recognized and they offered me the copy editor position with a raise and a private office. However, this has taken place after 25 years of working in the trenches. I believe in some cases, experience can make up for a degree.
Except you spelled grammar wrong. All chops-busting aside though, how do you like being a copy editor? Sounds like something I might be interested in. I've always been in accounting/banking jobs, but spelling and writing are much easier for me.

I've been known to print out a very badly worded, punctuated email and proofread it just for kicks and giggles.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:28 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,029,225 times
well if you cant afford to go to college like me then you might be screwed,It is so hard to find a descent job,even a hard labor job is getting harder to find.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:51 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,294,116 times
Not necessarily but, if you want to do well financially I think a degree requirement in a high demand profession is more beneficial. Why? Because it limits the labor pool and drives up wages.

I went into nursing because not only is a degree required but the cirriculum is very difficult ... the failure rate is high. The licensing exam you have to the pass to become an RN is also very tough. And, demand for healthcare services is skyrocketing with aging baby boomers.

I got to the point that I wanted a career that was difficult to get into because ... I was tired of working in unskilled professions where anybody off the street could take your job ... and did.

I would not be making the $100K+ I make now if I was still working in television news or had gone into real estate. In fact, I'd be totally broke right now if I had gone into in real estate. When I worked in TV news ... I was constantly laid off also.

Last edited by sheri257; 04-11-2008 at 02:59 AM..

Old 04-11-2008, 06:26 AM

943 posts, read 4,259,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
well if you cant afford to go to college like me then you might be screwed,It is so hard to find a descent job,even a hard labor job is getting harder to find.
Is it that you can't afford to go to college or you can't afford to go the college you want to attend? Most community/state colleges are relatively affordable and you can graduate most if not all with debt not exceeding 30,000 which is not that bad. Plus the governement student loan interest rate is about 3 percent. Not trying to be rude, but I think that is a cop out.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:07 AM

27,345 posts, read 27,400,159 times
I would have to say, to a reasonable extent. In the medical field, transportation, some areas of construction should all have adequate training and english as a primary language. I also frown on the idea of jobs that 'require' you to speak a 2nd language, except that its good to know a few phrases or a little of another language if you work jobs that might involve international travel once in awhile.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:27 AM

2,039 posts, read 4,555,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeaTexan View Post
Except you spelled grammar wrong. All chops-busting aside though, how do you like being a copy editor? Sounds like something I might be interested in. I've always been in accounting/banking jobs, but spelling and writing are much easier for me.

I've been known to print out a very badly worded, punctuated email and proofread it just for kicks and giggles.
LOL, oops! Would you believe I tend to copy edit (in my head) menus, flyers, and newspapers? I can't read anything without finding something wrong.

In regards to copy editing as a career, I personally find it boring. I work for a government contractor and I edit technical reports. Not very stimulating reading. If I worked for Harlequin Romances or the National Enquirer, it might be more enjoyable. I also find it amazing the caliber of work that the college-educated professionals put out. An extended education does not make you more intelligent or competent. English must be an ancient language on its way out because no one seems to be able to use it correctly (written or spoken) anymore. I'm not just nit picking on spelling and grammAr but even in trying to put a coherent sentence together that makes any sort of sense. Now don't get me wrong, I fully endorse going for a college education but I don't think the degree automatically makes anyone more qualified than a non-degreed person with years of experience (except for highly specialized professions like doctors, lawyers, nurses, etc.).

Having said all that, I know I don't know everything I need to and I still make mistakes and I think knowing this sometimes undermines my confidence. I'd love to leave the company I'm with but, without a degree, I probably won't get far.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:50 AM

8,952 posts, read 20,376,989 times
My wife is an Accountant and has three (yes, 3 Degrees)! She has two AA's and a Bachelors. She got her Bachelors when she was 49 years old. She told me that finding a good paying accounting job without a Degree is fairly impossible. She has been a Financial Analyst, Staff Accountant and now a Sr. Financial Analyst. She worked for a company in Colorado where there was a requirement for a Bachelors Degree to just work in the Accounting Dept. If a person didn't have that Degree, don't even bother applying for a job there......that is what her "then" boss told her. As for me, don't have a Degree, but do have some Class credits and have taken "online" courses. And, even though I do show "some" college on my resume' and the "online" courses I've taken, it is still harder for me to get a job than for her. You don't have to have a college degree to work in a warehouse, but to work in Purchasing or Inventory Management, it is almost a MUST. That is my area of work.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:11 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,029,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
Is it that you can't afford to go to college or you can't afford to go the college you want to attend? Most community/state colleges are relatively affordable and you can graduate most if not all with debt not exceeding 30,000 which is not that bad. Plus the governement student loan interest rate is about 3 percent. Not trying to be rude, but I think that is a cop out.

I have tried to go 3 different times, one time I didnt even have a job and they would only give me a loan.I have alot of bills including some new doctor bills so there is no way I could afford to pay back any amount of college money without getting myself into some serious debt.So what is the next best thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment