Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 02:00 AM

145 posts, read 149,179 times

Advertisements

Just started my first job of out school as a Operations Support Engineer and I’m just wondering what types of positions would one go into after this. The basic responsibilities of my job are:

-Transferring data from the client to our database.

-Resolving issues that arise from those transfers and also issues that the client has with our web app (good amount of SQL involved)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 06:10 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoss View Post
Just started my first job of out school as a Operations Support Engineer and I’m just wondering what types of positions would one go into after this. The basic responsibilities of my job are:

-Resolving issues that arise from those transfers and also issues that the client has with our web app (good amount of SQL involved)
Start reading your company's internal job postings. That should guide you.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:53 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,060,155 times
First step is to realize that job titles dont mean the same thing. Be sure to read the duties of the job and not th he title. For example the duties you describe are nothing like our ops support engineers do so if you just went by title you would have a big problem.

The next step is "what do you want to do?" Have you grown different skills, do you want to move I to management, things like that. Those decisions will help focus your career path.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
First step is to realize that job titles dont mean the same thing. Be sure to read the duties of the job and not th he title. For example the duties you describe are nothing like our ops support engineers do so if you just went by title you would have a big problem.

The next step is "what do you want to do?" Have you grown different skills, do you want to move I to management, things like that. Those decisions will help focus your career path.

Do you know what the title usually is for the type of work I do?

Old 01-18-2019, 07:33 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,843 times
Quote:

The first task sounds like rote order entry. The second... if you enjoy (or can stand!) working with SQL, maybe a junior DBA? If I were on that track, I'd want to make my chops in the database world for a couple of years, then pivot into big data... regular ol' relational databases aren't very sexy, and most implementations are not going to lead to a whole bunch of job or career stability. Your career trajectory should be like a quarterback making a long pass... you don't head towards where your target is, but where it's going to be.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
We call the job you described a "data tech." But that's just us. Someone else would call it different. That's my point there is no standard naming convention about job titles. You have to look at duties you want to do.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:25 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,576,544 times
Quote:
d.b.a. ?

Old 01-18-2019, 08:59 AM

Let's take a different tack. What field is your degree in? What type of engineering do you want to do?

Old 01-18-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Let's take a different tack. What field is your degree in? What type of engineering do you want to do?
I have a BS in CS. I think I want to stick with working with databases and data integration. I was hoping to get some examples of different job titles and descriptions so I can research them to see if they would be roles I’d be interested in.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:43 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
If you want a good career then I would focus on Cloud architecture and security. Database, infrastructure engineering, application engineering can all be good career options but eventually they will get outsourced or become less well paid when more applications are hosted in the cloud. The cloud eliminates infrastructure, doesn't mean it removes all but it means fewer jobs are needed for people who specializes with database, infrastructure, application support.

I've seen places where they used to have 60 people handling apps,infra, networking, etc. Then they went with Cloud providers and staff cut by more than 1/2 to just under 30. Most of the people left are those with the most experienced doing the most while people who could only hack a few tech are pushed out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment