Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 11:29 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,768 times

Advertisements

Good for her. I'm likely one of the least snowflake people here but that guy crossed the line.

This behavior is never acceptable. If you ignore it, that means you condone it.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
That guy sounds like a real ass. However, she could have just declined and went about her life without trying to get her 15 minutes of e-fame.
Why? So he can continue acting like that? Wonder how many good people he's driven away with his attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
The only thing I can gripe with her about is being offended because she is a young woman? How does she not know he doesn't do this to male applicants as well?
He's probably a jerk to everyone who works for him. Maybe he's one of those fools who finds pleasure in humiliating and putting people down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Some interviewers discriminate against unmarried job applicants. I've actually been told by an interviewer that he didn't want unmarried women working there. Totally true story.
I sure would've reported him for statements like that.

I swear that so many interviewers are doing illegal things with the hiring process now that one could probably just go to interviews and make a living from the lawsuit settlements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 07:38 AM

4,242 posts, read 947,586 times
Totally support her position and her actions. The more people accommodate this kind of abuse, the longer it will continue.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:01 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
All you have to do is look at her face to see someone who thinks the world revolves around her, and she has to fight anyone who might say something she deems offensive. That young lady has a lot to learn about life and the business world.

Any other company that might interview her is going to know what kind of person she is, and will steer clear of her. If she is this bad going in, can you imagine her on a daily basis ! She would be filing lawsuit after lawsuit, claiming everything from sexual harassment to gender discrimination.

That company lucked out by not hiring her, she was not long for the business world.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:09 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
https://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/repo...ullying-viral/

And people actually support her. We are doomed :-(

edit.

By the way, she referred to herself as "young girl". Is she expecting to be treated with kid's gloves?
Who actually reads cosmopolitan for work & employment issues?

Old 02-02-2019, 08:19 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,869 times
Quote:

edit.

By the way, she referred to herself as "young girl". Is she expecting to be treated with kid's gloves?
In usual C-D fashion, someone doesn't read and listen to what is going on and the employer is always right, and the employee is always wrong. What a shame.

Allow me to explain to those of you that think her outrage is wrong, because it isn't. People like the hiring manager are looking for a specific submissive type of person they can abuse in the work place. This is why he ended up offering her the job, not because she "did so great" in the interview, he felt she was the exact type to take advantage of. It is a cult mentality where they only accept those they think they can control. If she had pushed back in the interview and ended it, he wouldn't be interested in her for his sick purposes. He was looking for someone he could yell at all the time and blame her for his own problems. And please don't bore us with "this was a test" interview, that is pure junk. There is no reason to treat people this way.

And it makes all the difference this was done to a woman and a young one, because guys like that wouldn't dare be this way with a man. Because men not only get up and walk out of interviews, they might tell him to "F off!" and leave from his behavior. He very much enjoyed that he was upsetting her, because that is his type.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:31 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
All you have to do is look at her face to see someone who thinks the world revolves around her,
This is an unfounded conclusion. Judging somebody by their appearance is unreasonable.

Quote:
and she has to fight anyone who might say something she deems offensive. That young lady has a lot to learn about life and the business world.

Any other company that might interview her is going to know what kind of person she is, and will steer clear of her. If she is this bad going in, can you imagine her on a daily basis ! She would be filing lawsuit after lawsuit, claiming everything from sexual harassment to gender discrimination.

That company lucked out by not hiring her, she was not long for the business world.
More unfounded conclusions. Her reaction to the interview was unusual to be sure, but is not sufficient evidence to say that she is inclined to file lawsuits.

Would you think that, based upon your post, I have sufficient evidence to characterize you as a biased old dude who distrusts pretty young women? I don’t have enough evidence to say that about your character, and we should all be careful about coming to conclusions about others with too little evidence. Please note that I only used this statement about you as a hypothetical to show how we can can jump to insulting conclusions. I am not actually asserting anything about you.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:43 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
Quote:

edit.

From the linked article:
The interview then began properly with Craig reportedly asking Olivia personal questions like 'are your parents still together?'. "I didn’t see why that was important or relevant," she says.

I don't understand the relevance to the job about her parents being married or divorced. I have been working for 20+ years, and it never came up.

Old 02-02-2019, 10:41 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,724,745 times
Quote:
If her spotify list was public, it's fair game.
You're right that it is "fair game" and he has a right to look at it. But the way he was looking at it during the interview and brought it up as a way of showing her he was "investigating" her is just weird. The way he did it was meant to be intimidating, even if there wasn't anything wrong with looking at her list per se.

Old 02-02-2019, 11:00 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
The interviewer was an ass. Life will be full of people who are asses. The objective was to get a job and she flaked. Apparently, she doesn't know poverty or lack.
So taking **** is the bottom line?

I'm sorry but if you act like that, then it's probably an indicator of what I'll be dealing with if I work there.

My current job- my supervisor was the nicest person I ever interviewed with. She treats everyone with respect.

Old 02-02-2019, 12:24 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,729 times
I think it is important to note that you go to a job interview asking for a livelihood - life from someone. They are entitled to ask anything they like, as long as they don't use your answer to discriminate against you so severely that you could actually prove that they did indeed use your answer to discriminate against you.

As someone who's job entails being 'accused and abused' daily by my employer's customer base who never call to complement, but only to complain, I can understand how an employer might want to see how someone fresh out of college with no real experience might hold up in seemingly hostile and irrational circumstances.

That said, the young lady has taken a calculated risk that has shamed the interviewer, given her numerous other opportunities (or so she says) and also given her 15 minutes of fame. It will be interesting to see if she continues to shine so brightly, or become merely another flash in the pan on social media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment