Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 01:02 PM

4,972 posts, read 2,714,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Which, minor (voluntary) rises in some areas aside, they pretty much are. Which is another red flag for this supposed nil unemployment/labor shortage/hot jobs market wonderland.
That's right. What labor shortages? Where are the hot jobs? I dont see a worker's paradise or a wonderland. Wages and salaries would be up through the roof with desperate employers trying to fill positions and trying to over bid each other in attracting job candidates. Hiring candidates would be fast and easy rather than having them jump through endless hurdles... Oh, wait. That's right, there is no labor shortage. Employers have their pick of plenty of desperate job seekers. They can afford to wait and make those desperados jump through anything they want. Then ghost many of those candidates. With so many to choose from it must sure feel nice to sit in an employer's driver's seat and call the shots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 01:06 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
From my experience, all it does Is puts pressure on the skeleton crew in place And affects all facets of operations leading to low morale, high turnover, and eventual closing and acquisition from another company (that is properly staffed and managed well).

Word also gets around around and the said company is cheap and a crappy place to work and they will have trouble attracting any talent. Sure a select few bloated executives will run to the bank because they saved on expense in the quarter but long term labor shortage has always spelled trouble

It’s always better to be overstaffed than understaffed. Overstaffed is always the lesser of two evils

Old 02-13-2019, 01:09 PM

995 posts, read 510,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
That's right. What labor shortages? Where are the hot jobs? I dont see a worker's paradise or a wonderland. Wages and salaries would be up through the roof with desperate employers trying to fill positions and trying to over bid each other in attracting job candidates. Hiring candidates would be fast and easy rather than having them jump through endless hurdles... Oh, wait. That's right, there is no labor shortage. Employers have their pick of plenty of desperate job seekers. They can afford to wait and make those desperados jump through anything they want. Then ghost many of those candidates. With so many to choose from it must sure feel nice to sit in an employer's driver's seat and call the shots.
I bet if we put in a 5-year moratorium on *all* immigration, we'd see this happening. Then the American people, having their pick of jobs at excellent pay, would demand this moratorium to made permanent. Bottom line - labor shortages are a good thing. Unless you're a stingy employer, that is.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:52 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,148,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
Fewer available workers = higher wages

It also means lower hiring standards. That means more waste and repairs (fuller landfills, greater carbon footprint), it means dropping drug testing, ignoring past DUIs, extended shifts (more accidents and injuries). Ultimately it means higher costs are passed on (inflation offsets wages gains and disproportionately hurts lower incomes).

Old 02-13-2019, 01:55 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times
Quote:
I bet if we put in a 5-year moratorium on *all* immigration, we'd see this happening. Then the American people, having their pick of jobs at excellent pay...
Immigration does not contribute to job shortages. Until you and those who think laborers from Oaxaca and Nicaragua are taking away Good American Jobs come to terms with reality, you can dream up all the Soviet Five Year Plans you like without doing more than amusing your bar buddies.

And if you think Good American Workers are ever going to work the fields and orchards and laundries and other backbreaking scut work, at "excellent pay" or not, it's time to hand over your car keys.

Your plan would do little besides triple the oncoming rate of automation.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:47 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times
Quote:
I've been coming across various news articles lately that labor shortages are starting to pop up in various locations in the US, including here in the Atlanta area. One builder claimed that only 10,000 houses a year are being built when there's demand for 20,000, due to said "labor shortage." Meatpacking plants in Iowa are said to be increasing wages to $18 an hour, due to their struggles to find immigrant labor.

My question is thus - why is this remotely a bad thing for this country? (Except for the employers, this post is not about them) Fewer available workers = higher wages - this is basic Economics 101. I've always thought higher wages were a good thing - not only for workers, but for the economy as a whole. On my recent visit to Australia, I learned that wages are very high, in part due to their strict immigration quotas, and their economy hasn't seen a recession in 27 years. Everywhere I went, I saw wealth and prosperity, and very little in the way of homelessness and poverty.

This is what I want to see in America, and if Trump is successful in his attempts to severely limit immigration, both illegal and legal, I can very easily see the "Australiafication" of America.

Then, why in G*d's name do people think this is a bad thing to have a labor shortage? Do they have pity for greedy employers who'd rather whine about not being able to find "good" workers at rock-bottom wages? Do they not care about the working class who have seen their relative wages stagnate for the past three decades?

Well, I care about the workers. Bring on the labor shortage. Let's cut immigration to the bone, and watch those wages skyrocket.
Heck yeah!

Labor shortage doesn't mean talent shortage. Labor shortage means qualified applicants for the stated pay band. You'll get more bites if you sweeten the deal, but often it takes customer backlash when they notice they're not being supported in quite the way they're used to. Company will start offering overtime and raising offers.

Anyone who employs others has a good chance of disagreeing with me, but as a W2 employee, I see the good in this.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:08 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,228,935 times
There is no labor shortage.

If they raised their wages, they'd get all the labor they needed.

They whine about a "labor shortage" because they want to hire illegals and visa holders at lower wages.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:28 PM

502 posts, read 392,031 times
Quote:
Then how does Australia do it without masses of illegal labor? They're one of the strictest countries of the world when it comes to legal immigration, and there's no easy border to cross to get there - so pretty much all the jobs are done by homegrown labor. Granted, a lot of the picking is done by youngsters on working holiday visas - I think they clear about $20 an hour plus room and board. Bananas from Queensland run about 90 cents a pound, a bit more expensive than here, but not exactly unaffordable. In any case, they get those jobs done with their own labor force and their country is far better off for it. If a job is hard and doesn't pay enough, it doesn't get done, plain and simple. It's no wonder why home reno projects cost an arm and leg there. They just borrow tons of money to pay for it...lol.

I deal with facts and real-world examples. If Australia can do it, why can't we?
Probably for the same reasons people claim we can't have universal healthcare when countries like the UK and France can.

Old 02-13-2019, 08:27 PM

12 posts, read 6,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post

I can't see there being a true "labor shortage" (shortage of any applicants) for the average white collar job in the NYC area with 8.6 million people or in the Boston area where you have a very large cohort of recent college grads every year.. I am talking about 'your average' white collar corporate job that requires at least a bachelors degree pays between $75,000 - $150,000 a year in Boston or Manhattan ESPECIALLY when millenials are a larger cohort than baby boomers and where the median age has been trending down for years. Also its no secret that millenials (especially college grads) abhor anything resembling manual or menial labor

Old 02-13-2019, 08:32 PM

12 posts, read 6,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
There is no labor shortage.

If they raised their wages, they'd get all the labor they needed.

They whine about a "labor shortage" because they want to hire illegals and visa holders at lower wages.

Wages HAVE risen unfortunately so have prices especially rents. Have you seen what a even a studio apartment rents for anywhere in the NYC area, greater Boston or in Southern CA and compared it to 2000?? same for the price of virtually any other good or service except for gasoline -- even Amazon & Whole Foods raised average prices between 8% - 10% from 2017 - 2018 due to higher wages but even moreso due to scorching 'white hot' consumer spending
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment