Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 01:39 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,116,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
Again, you have misread what I wrote. This is the third time.

I didn't say it was a root problem. I said it was the root of many problems. Which would make it a cause... not a problem.
It is a cause of a problem, it creates artificial demand, the schools know they can charge all the way up to the federal student loan amounts and students will take them to avoid homelessness and burger flipping for peanuts working crap hours.

People are taking insane risks becasue the consequences of not are extremely high. There are a sea of dead end mcjobs and vulture capitalists eager to fill them with the desperate that they can exploit.

Its not like you drive down the road to see rows of snap on tool manufacturing plants with help wanted signs or industrial equipment manufactures with state of the art facilities and nice break rooms. Nope its rows and rows of mcjobs as far as the eye can see , with a tinny tiny number of good hour, respectable well paid jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 01:51 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,356,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
It is a cause of a problem, it creates artificial demand, the schools know they can charge all the way up to the federal student loan amounts and students will take them to avoid homelessness and burger flipping for peanuts working crap hours.

People are taking insane risks becasue the consequences of not are extremely high. There are a sea of dead end mcjobs and vulture capitalists eager to fill them with the desperate that they can exploit.

Its not like you drive down the road to see rows of snap on tool manufacturing plants with help wanted signs or industrial equipment manufactures with state of the art facilities and nice break rooms. Nope its rows and rows of mcjobs as far as the eye can see , with a tinny tiny number of good hour, respectable well paid jobs.
This is a completely different problem than the one you originally surfaced. I'm not sure why you're changing topics now. You brought up the relationship between wages and student loans and how wages often aren't enough to cover student loan. That's what I was responding to.

A better alternative to big loans is to attend a good school that provides generous funding. Another one is to attend a community college or vocational school and get a hands on job. Both are great.

Mcjobs are fine as well. I have a neighbor that literally worked at McDonalds for 22 years (originally on the grill/washer and then as a manager) before being part owner of a McDonalds. There's nothing wrong with that.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:59 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,116,882 times
Quote:
This is a completely different problem than the one you originally surfaced. I'm not sure why you're changing topics now. You brought up the relationship between wages and student loans and how wages often aren't enough to cover student loan. That's what I was responding to.

A better alternative to big loans is to attend a good school that provides generous funding. Another one is to attend a community college or vocational school and get a hands on job. Both are great.

Mcjobs are fine as well. I have a neighbor that literally worked at McDonalds for 22 years (originally on the grill/washer and then as a manager) before being part owner of a McDonalds. There's nothing wrong with that.
I was never able to find these alternative schools that also had a good reputation. I went to a pretty good school. Mcdonalds is fine I suppose if you are actually choosing to work there as a real choice and not out of extreme desperation due to a sick market.

McJob does not imply mcdonalds, its a real word in the dictionary now. The issue is lack of choice and the job market being dominated by mcjobs.

I was not arguing loans vs wages anymore because its a proven fact that student loan bubble is completely out of hand and most people cant repay on their mcjob wages.

All of this stuff is tied together and it all boils down to people trying to escape poverty and sick dead end jobs and the stakes just keep getting higher and the risks greater to escape the abyss that is mcjobs and homelessness, living check to check etc.

You cant argue these issues in a vacuum because they are all entangled.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:20 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Also means companies aren't growing...

So what if one person makes $18 when 2 more make $0 because the company can't grow to hire them?

If there were potential qualified employees sitting around because of lack of jobs, that would be a labor oversupply not a labor shortage.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:18 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times
Quote:
You're just so... gracious from your ivory tower. Do you remember to pat the servants on the heads every day, too?

Old 02-18-2019, 01:27 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
I've been coming across various news articles lately that labor shortages are starting to pop up in various locations in the US, including here in the Atlanta area. One builder claimed that only 10,000 houses a year are being built when there's demand for 20,000, due to said "labor shortage." Meatpacking plants in Iowa are said to be increasing wages to $18 an hour, due to their struggles to find immigrant labor.

My question is thus - why is this remotely a bad thing for this country? (Except for the employers, this post is not about them) Fewer available workers = higher wages - this is basic Economics 101. I've always thought higher wages were a good thing - not only for workers, but for the economy as a whole.
Right on all counts. The best time for workers was 1945-65, when we had basically no immigration.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
First, establish that there is a "labor shortage." There's an observable disconnect between the rosy reports each month and observations at ground level.

Second, explain how relatively trival limits on immigration would make good citizens take picking, laundry, dishwashing and other backbreaking labor jobs.
It's simple economics. There is always a market-clearing price. Employers just have to pay the market rate.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
It also means lower hiring standards. That means more waste and repairs (fuller landfills, greater carbon footprint), it means dropping drug testing, ignoring past DUIs, extended shifts (more accidents and injuries). Ultimately it means higher costs are passed on (inflation offsets wages gains and disproportionately hurts lower incomes).
That's what you get when you pay unproductive people to have babies. And, of course, immigration does nothing to improve the caliber of prospective employee. In fact, it gives you more of those types you disparage.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:53 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Right on all counts. The best time for workers was 1945-65, when we had basically no immigration.
Well, except for 5 million braceros who filled a severe shortage of ag workers in that period. You could look it up.

Quote:
It's simple economics.
And employees are just commodities whose only measure is their impact on the bottom line.

Quote:
That's what you get when you pay unproductive people to have babies. And, of course, immigration does nothing to improve the caliber of prospective employee.
Naw, the real problem is people whose economic viewpoints got stuck around Chapter Six: How Great 1955 Was for Everyone White.

Old 02-18-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Well, except for 5 million braceros who filled a severe shortage of ag workers in that period. You could look it up.

And employees are just commodities whose only measure is their impact on the bottom line.

Naw, the real problem is people whose economic viewpoints got stuck around Chapter Six: How Great 1955 Was for Everyone White.
So you're going to bend the laws of economics to indulge your racist animus? How lovely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment