Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 07:51 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times

Advertisements

Small dilemma here.

I work for a large regional employer. Make a bit over $60,000 in a low cost area of Tennessee. Benefits are standard at best, on-call rotation, not the greatest, but relatively stable.

I had an offer for an onsite interview out of town. Better office, worse location. 10% raise is likely, 20% is unlikely. The hiring manager seemed disjointed, and the project I'd be on is new to this large business and seems very vulnerable to the next recession (working with my small home builders). At best, this seems more chaotic and startup than where I am.

I was kind of gung-ho Friday when they offered the onsite interview. After checking the site and town out this weekend, I don't think I want to burn the half day of PTO to even interview, much less move for a 10% raise at best.

What does it take for you to jump?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 07:56 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,402,586 times
It takes a toxic work environment.

I really like the people I work with now and don't need more money. Without a radical personnel change for the worse, I'm not going to leave. As Warren Buffett put it, "Don't risk what you have and need for what you don't need."

Old 03-17-2019, 09:36 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
In looking back at my past job history going back several decades, these are the reasons why I left (I don't count several temporary jobs that only lasted a few months each):

- Navy, after high school, six year eniistment: Left because enlistment was up and didn't re-enlist, wanted to experience civilian life again.

- Job 1: Left because I was having some really bad issues with a few co-workers that left me emotionally scarred. I was there for two and a half years and was doing well up to that point. Personality conflicts.

- Job 2: Left because I didn't care much for how the manager treated me, especially in giving me a mediocre performance review while he gave his favored guys stellar reviews. Was there two years.

- Job 3: Left after 12 long years. Didn't care for what I felt was disrespectful treatment from my supervisor and manager. The supervisor in particular undermined me in my new role, treating me as a gofer like his personal secretary, instead of using my technical skills. I was 'forced' off that role and assigned to another one, and started looking for another job soon after. Took me almost two years to find another job.

- Job 4: Left after one year because they refused to take me off a terrible job schedule, and I also did not particularly like the work.

- Job 5: Left after one year because they were working us to death. Six days a week, 11-12 hours a day.

- Job 6: Still here after three and a half years. Had some ups and downs, but not currently looking.

So I never left a job or looked for another one solely because of wanting more pay or wanting advancement to the next level. I've been more than happy with my compensation throughout my career, and never raised that issue. I left because of toxic work environment or bad treatment by management.

Old 03-17-2019, 09:44 PM

607 posts, read 978,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Small dilemma here.

I work for a large regional employer. Make a bit over $60,000 in a low cost area of Tennessee. Benefits are standard at best, on-call rotation, not the greatest, but relatively stable.

I had an offer for an onsite interview out of town. Better office, worse location. 10% raise is likely, 20% is unlikely. The hiring manager seemed disjointed, and the project I'd be on is new to this large business and seems very vulnerable to the next recession (working with my small home builders). At best, this seems more chaotic and startup than where I am.

I was kind of gung-ho Friday when they offered the onsite interview. After checking the site and town out this weekend, I don't think I want to burn the half day of PTO to even interview, much less move for a 10% raise at best.

What does it take for you to jump?
Difference you are talking about here will probably be about $375 more in income after taxes.

For some that more money is needed but none of us know your life.

If you can cut expense while increasing income you might want to look into it.

My advice would be to try and negotiate it up to 8 to 10 percent.

Old 03-17-2019, 09:45 PM

607 posts, read 978,713 times
For me I just add another contract so no moving is involved.

Old 03-18-2019, 03:57 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,432,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
It takes a toxic work environment.

I really like the people I work with now and don't need more money. Without a radical personnel change for the worse, I'm not going to leave. As Warren Buffett put it, "Don't risk what you have and need for what you don't need."
Agreed.

And I’m already paid at the high end of my market rate. I can’t just jump and get 10 to 20% more.

Old 03-18-2019, 04:40 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,120,287 times
I made a lateral move for a slight bump that didn't cover my moving expenses, because I wanted to do the same job in my home state. Money's not the only reason people move.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:10 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
How big of a jump do you need to move?
If you WANT or NEED to move... not much of a jump or bump or increase at all.

Quote:
Better office, worse location. 10% raise is likely, 20% is unlikely.
How is this a jump?

Old 03-18-2019, 06:59 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,043,034 times
Unless it's a 25% bump after COL adjustments, you should never move. The only other factor is lifestyle issues. If you live in some frozen hellhole and need tolerable winters or some such, then that would also be a legitimate reason.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:01 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Unless it's a 25% bump after COL adjustments, you should never move.
Not true. A certain position or title may be crucial for long term plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment