Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 06:29 PM

107 posts, read 69,373 times

Advertisements

I am literally contemplating on leaving a job that I other wise like over my manager requiring that I go out with the team to eat lunch every day. This is has been an issue to me for a few reasons.

1. Cost: Not only is it expensive to eat out daily, but they also insist on splitting the tab. Some people order appetizers and drinks, so it really bothers me that I am being forced to pay for other peoples extravegence. The worst has been a situation where I ordered a 10 dollar bowl of soup and my final tab was $55.

2. Type of Food My manager considers herself a foodie. And likes to choose restaurants with very "niche" food IMO. For example, they eat at indian or ethiopian restauranets 3 days a week. I do not like this food at all. She has offered to make up for it by letting me choose 1 day a week. That still leaves 4 days a week where im paying approximately 20 dollars for food that I do not like.

3. Time The lunches typically last TWO TO THREE HOURS. This is an extremely long time to be eating out everyday. Additionally, everyone else has roles with flexible work hours. They normally come in the office around 10 to 11 and leave around 5 to 6. My role has to be in the office at 7:30 everyday. Having to eat out everyday has extended my work day an extra two hours a day as I have to make up the time on the back end.

4. Personal Time Our office is one of those trendy shared work spaces. So we are all up on eachother all day long. Most people on other teams can be seen with their head phones in reading a book or just chilling on their lunch breaks because its mentally exhausting being on display for the entire office all day long. I genuinely want to just relax during my lunch break and not be forced to interact with my manager.

5. Office Politics Every other team is working extremely long hours. Personally, I find it extremely unprofessional to go on 3 hour lunches when other teams are working to 11 at night at times. This just isnt how i like presenting myself in a professional environment.

Basically, I other wise really like my job. However, I find the whole situation about lunch extremely rude to the point that I have fired up my linkedin and want to know if i am over reacting.

My manager has sent me a big long email reprimanding me today because I chose not to go out to lunch and eat at an ethiopian restaurant. Because we are a work family and have to eat together. Her counter was that I could choose lunch 1 day a week. I find this totally unreasonable .

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-14-2018 at 01:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 06:33 PM

801 posts, read 547,221 times
What does HR (or the business owner) thinks about this requirement? I would take my concerns up to them.

Tbh, I would move on with my life. She sounds like a control freak. Definitely wouldn't want to work with someone like that.

Last edited by Liar_Liar; 11-09-2018 at 06:42 PM..

Old 11-09-2018, 06:41 PM

263 posts, read 230,659 times
this is extremely absurd

i believe you can work it out

Old 11-09-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
What does HR (or the business owner) thinks about this requirement? I would take my concerns up to them.
I worry if i went to HR, that my manager would emotionally over react and make my current job miserable. She got unreasonably upset on me skipping out on ethiopian today.

Old 11-09-2018, 06:44 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Agreed. That is a crazy requirement, and I don’t think that higher level managers would support this as an expectation of employment.

Old 11-09-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelmarvaNative View Post
this is extremely absurd

i believe you can work it out
I told her flat out that I dont want to go. I dont like the food and i really enjoy my personal time on my breaks.

And she flat out would not budge on me having to go everyday. Her only compromise was that I could choose 1 day.

Old 11-09-2018, 06:47 PM

801 posts, read 547,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpero824 View Post
I worry if i went to HR, that my manager would emotionally over react and make my current job miserable. She got unreasonably upset on me skipping out on ethiopian today.
Did it happen over email? I would record some sort of proof, if possible, before going to HR. Otherwise, it will be your words vs hers. I am willing to bet the other co workers will take her side out of fear for their job.

Old 11-09-2018, 06:47 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,556,641 times
you do what your boss tells you to do, no pays you to do or get out

Old 11-09-2018, 06:51 PM

12,958 posts, read 9,473,611 times
It's a ridiculous requirement. And splitting the tab is even worse.

Old 11-09-2018, 06:53 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Really? Is this a different job than the one you had in August?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...l#post52806581
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment