Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 07:17 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,323,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I have done it, esp in the service, but it should only be for emergencies. Besides the huge drop in productivity, theres a big safety impact as well. Increased risk to themselves and coworkers on the job. And to themselves and innocent victims on the road. We lost someone just outside the our gate when a double shift worker from a nearby plant fell asleep and crossed the center line.

You put others at risk when you do that.
I have a friend who worked an evening shift and then a night shift together. She told me the morning after her 16 hours of work, she passed a red light without knowing it. She got stopped by a police officer. When the officer talked to her, he noticed her uniform on the passenger seat, and she looked so worn out. He forgave her and did not give her a ticket. But she was shaking of what she did and din't know she did it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 08:05 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
I have a friend who worked an evening shift and then a night shift together. She told me the morning after her 16 hours of work, she passed a red light without knowing it. She got stopped by a police officer. When the officer talked to her, he noticed her uniform on the passenger seat, and she looked so worn out. He forgave her and did not give her a ticket. But she was shaking of what she did and din't know she did it.
The OP is considering doing a 32-hour shift. It seems to me that would just put many patients in danger. I can’t imagine that any hospital would allow it.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:27 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
I still work 16-20 hour days, and I'm 60 years old. Of course, I usually don't work a 5 day week. But I have worked three days in a row and racked up 65 hours doing it. Summertime is a killer though.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:39 AM

456 posts, read 348,796 times
I used to work back to back 16 hour shifts when I was in the medical field. It was split between two locations, 8 hours at one then 8 at the other. I did it for about a year in my 20's.

No way would I want to do that now.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:23 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
I work 10 hour shifts and I find that difficult as it is, but I also don't work a desk job, my job is a bit more physical. Nonetheless, you can only work for so long before productivity and your health are significantly dropping, and I know me personally, I don't want to be a failure at my job for this but also my body and mind. I don't want to suffer from dementia for example (potentially caused by lack of sleep in the younger years) for shifts like that.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:59 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Never had a situation where I had that option. I could do it now since I'm in an office job, and they don't require my ass glued to the chair. In other words, I can get up every now and then for breaks. However, this sort of position is the type where they wouldn't give you that option (or at the very least, you can work for two 16 days, but you won't get any OT nor get to flex that time to take the rest of the pay period off).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Some employers offer 4-10 schedule - 4 days a week at 10 hours a day. 3 day weekends.

Or 5-9 where you work 8 9 hour days and 1 8 hour day and every 2 weeks you get a 3 day weekend.
I initially thought the same thing, but upon rereading the title, the OP specified 32 hours in a 48 hour pay period so we're talking 16 hours average for one day.

Old 05-06-2019, 01:18 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
I did a couple triple shifts when I was working at a convenience store - that was 24 hours in 48. What sucked was that when the third shift went past midnight, I was told that was a new day and I wasn't allowed OT for those last couple of hours. I also commuted 6 hours each way plus a full day at work for a year. So that would make 28 hours in 48. That was actually, a 70 hour week, but I did the best I could to sleep on the ferry going over and back, so that probably doesn't count.

But I do remember my whole last semester in high school. Six classes, plus two classes I was taking to make up enough credits to graduate, plus twelve hours a week working for a program that employs high school students, plus a full time job. Let me tell you, when a mother comes to me and says I don't know tired until I've had a kid, I just laugh in her face.

Old 05-06-2019, 01:49 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,772,785 times
32 hours in a 48 hour span is pushing it.

Maybe go for 36 hours in a 72 hour span? Seems like you'd get a lot of the same benefits from your schedule compression that you desire... and it might be a bit more sustainable long-term for your overall well-being.

Old 05-06-2019, 05:41 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
32 hours in a 48 hour span is pushing it.

Maybe go for 36 hours in a 72 hour span? Seems like you'd get a lot of the same benefits from your schedule compression that you desire... and it might be a bit more sustainable long-term for your overall well-being.
I think the OP also said somewhere that he commutes one hour each way to work, so best case scenario here is that he probably gets about 5 hours of sleep between sleep assuming he only needs 1/2 hour to wind down and get ready between each shift. It would be one thing if he lived adjacent to the office and could fall into bed, but he’d really be putting others at risk in that second shift with the limited sleep he will have.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:24 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
I've done this recently between the two jobs I work. At age 43 it's getting more difficult though. Recovery time is longer. In my 20's I could do that, pound a sixer after and go right back at full speed the next day. No more of that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment