Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 10:49 AM

197 posts, read 97,939 times

Advertisements

These are pushed very hard at my company. Everyone has to robotically follow this "I commit to XYZ work" mantra.

While obviously it makes sense to set goals, here is where I believe it gets overdone.

The leadership thinks they can hold 1 all-day meeting and plan out exactly XYZ roadmap for the next year. It looks good if they put something down in writing, makes them look like strong leaders.

Then, when the team follows XYZ roadmap, because of some unknown, the team realizes that XYZ roadmap has some flaws and we will be wasting time and money unless we change it. Leadership, however, won't change it because, for some reason that I don't completely understand, it reflects badly on them to change plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2019, 06:55 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,189,508 times
Their bonuses may be tied to delivering XYZ. Even though you realize XYZ won't work the way it was initially defined, if they change it before "delivering" it, they may not get their bonus. They deliver "XYZ" and there's a problem, but they delivered what they "committed" to so bonus should stay intact.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:22 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
Can they commit to deliver a raise when I bring the value?

Nope?

Buzzwords are teh suck.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:52 PM

197 posts, read 97,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
Their bonuses may be tied to delivering XYZ. Even though you realize XYZ won't work the way it was initially defined, if they change it before "delivering" it, they may not get their bonus. They deliver "XYZ" and there's a problem, but they delivered what they "committed" to so bonus should stay intact.
lol

Old 06-16-2019, 06:03 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
My favorite is "runway"

Old 06-16-2019, 06:20 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
lol
I'm not sure why that's funny. It's a pretty good answer. If your personal pay is tied to something you don't agree with, you do it anyway, don't you? It's often the same way for the people above you.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:08 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
I guess the dumber the investor the dumber the management.

I am starting to realize most F500's are whipped into doing these stupid things by former hedge fund managers now "activist investors" or basically a representative for a bunch of dumb rich people that were born with a silver spoon in their mouth and never built a company or department from the ground up. You have these former coke head wall street gamblers basically controlling everything, they control the board and CEO and the executive suite that reports directly to the CEO.

They choose fraternity kool-aid bros and replicate that culture at the top creating hell for the rest of us. And it's an endless loop that can't be broken because you can't tell the Rich guy to stop letting Broski ex-Goldman Sachs leader Bubba to stop booting CEOs every 2 years because Bubba's dad helped cover up a personal scandal for him last year.

It has to be all a big fraternity at this point with various chapters because they all have the same BS script. Do things that lead to:

Shorty Stocks
Commodity Pump and Dump
M&As
Brand Spanking New Derivatives (which may or may not be in some state of quasi-SEC clearance)

This is an amusement park to them and they have a few different rides they like to get on and those 4 are the top ones.

They are all gambling on this. This is why our jobs suck. All a game to them.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:03 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times
The root cause for those words is Wall Street. The intention is to create accountability.

It's all about meeting the quarterly results.

Managers "commit."

Wall Street: "Somewhere out there is a manager who will bring this thing in on time and within budget and I was hoping it would be you."

Old 06-18-2019, 07:08 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
I despise the word "deliverable(s)". When someone mentions it I automatically think they are some person who thinks it's more important to use buzz words than actually do real work.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:46 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
I guess the dumber the investor the dumber the management.

I am starting to realize most F500's are whipped into doing these stupid things by former hedge fund managers now "activist investors" or basically a representative for a bunch of dumb rich people that were born with a silver spoon in their mouth and never built a company or department from the ground up. You have these former coke head wall street gamblers basically controlling everything, they control the board and CEO and the executive suite that reports directly to the CEO.

They choose fraternity kool-aid bros and replicate that culture at the top creating hell for the rest of us. And it's an endless loop that can't be broken because you can't tell the Rich guy to stop letting Broski ex-Goldman Sachs leader Bubba to stop booting CEOs every 2 years because Bubba's dad helped cover up a personal scandal for him last year.

It has to be all a big fraternity at this point with various chapters because they all have the same BS script. Do things that lead to:

Shorty Stocks
Commodity Pump and Dump
M&As
Brand Spanking New Derivatives (which may or may not be in some state of quasi-SEC clearance)

This is an amusement park to them and they have a few different rides they like to get on and those 4 are the top ones.

They are all gambling on this. This is why our jobs suck. All a game to them.

Why do some people like to believe that folks who run businesses or who have accumulated millions or billions of dollars must all be imbeciles who do nothing but play golf, screw people, and somehow never manage to actually run the business into the ground? There are millions of businesses that fail with good, smart, hard-working owners and managers... why is it that the "Fortune 500" (and, of course, your employer) are somehow immune to this? They just keep making money in spite of being run by trust-fund babies out to have a good time?

All I can think of is:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment