Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 11:21 AM

23 posts, read 22,693 times

Advertisements

hi guys,

So I might be taking a job Kentucky which will involve me moving from England. I just wanted to know what mandatory deductions there are to your pay packet each month, for example, in the UK we have to pay income tax as a percentage of our earnings , national insurance which is also a state tax and anyone over 24 years old has to have a pension.

Any advice is greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Sc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 11:28 AM

341 posts, read 285,280 times
Depends on the type of employment. not sure what you mean by mandatory.

These are common:
Social Security tax
Fed tax
income tax
maybe automatic 401(k) (unless you opt out)
maybe med insurance.

1099 don't have anything taken out???

Old 07-11-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boring View Post
Depends on the type of employment. not sure what you mean by mandatory.

These are common:
Social Security tax
Fed tax
income tax
maybe automatic 401(k) (unless you opt out)
maybe med insurance.

1099 don't have anything taken out???
Hi,

Thanks for your response, by mandatory I meant any payments that automatically get taken out of your salary.

What do you mean by '1099 don't have anything taken out???'

Thanks again

SC

Old 07-11-2019, 11:40 AM

341 posts, read 285,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salad19 View Post
Hi,

Thanks for your response, by mandatory I meant any payments that automatically get taken out of your salary.

What do you mean by '1099 don't have anything taken out???'

Thanks again

SC
1099 (I think) means no taxes are taken out so at tax time you have to indicate how much you earned and probably pre-pay taxes....Look up Form 1099 online. I think my wife works 1099 that's why it came to mind.

401(k) is automatic but not mandatory, same with medical. You can choose not to contribute to retirement or medical insurance.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:37 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
Take a look at this website for some detail re payroll withholdings and deductions (there is a difference):

https://www.employersresource.com/pa...-withholdings/

Also be aware not all States have a "State Income Tax", but some cities do have a local city income tax ( most notably in Ohio).

Also "1099" denotes a person who is not considered an employee, but is known as an "independent contractor". Similar to being self-employed but paid by a company. A 1099 is the form they get at end of year reporting what they were paid. An employee receives a Form W-2 showing income and withholdings for Federal & State Tax purposes.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:41 PM

4,630 posts, read 4,898,966 times
Also to note:

Social Security is a flat tax - 6.2% up to $128,400 salary
Medicare is a flat tax - 1.45%

Federal Income tax is graduated
State Income tax is either graduated or flat. Kentucky is a flat 5%

MOST of Kentucky has local income tax too. Louisville for example has an additional 2.2% income tax

Retirement isn't mandatory - you can go through your whole life here and never save for retirement

Healthcare isn't mandatory per se, but a whole lot cheaper through your employer. None of us can really help with how much, but your portion for a single person can be fairly low. The most I've seen is $500/mo, the least $0, usually under $200. Right now there is also a federal (and sometimes state) tax penalty for NOT having insurance.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:58 PM

4,025 posts, read 1,878,692 times
You'll most likely be paid every 2 weeks, to start with. (There are exceptions.)

After all my deductions, contributions, retirement, etc., is funded, I "take home" about 70% of my salary.

If you need more details - read on - otherwise - that's it!

Some of your entire overall pay (we call that "the gross pay") is deducted for:

Federal Income Tax (~12-20%, unavoidable)
State Income Tax (~5% in Kentucky)
Local / County Income tax (Varies by Location, but typically 1-2%, if applicable)

Our mandatory retirement contribution here is referred to as "Social Security" and it, too, is automatically deducted from your pay, about 6% I think. ("Social Security" is the bare minimum. It's what our "fixed income" OLD people live on, month to month. Many get by, but it's far from "good money.")

There's also Medicare Tax, Unemployment Tax, and Workers Compensation Tax, each adding a percent or two.

In end, you'll pay 20-30% of your pay in taxes, overall, which are mandatory. (Just on average ... it can be more or less.)

THEN -

Depending on where you work, and at your employers discretion, generosity, or greed, depending on political viewpoint, you may choose / be offered an additional road to retirement savings, with some tax benefits (maybe). This amount can vary tremendously, but, in general, is entirely voluntary, and is routed to an investment program of some sort. Your employer may also "donate" to this.

Next, "health insurance" is not one of our taxes. Many employers provide a discounted insurance (or completely "free" in some cases) - so the remaining amount (after the discount) is taken from your pay. This also varies widely, from nothing to several hundred dollars a month.

At the moment, health insurance is not compulsory.

Am I forgetting any? I'm not a CPA!

Old 07-11-2019, 02:20 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
Quote:
Right now there is also a federal (and sometimes state) tax penalty for NOT having insurance.
I thought the Fed mandate that was part of Obama care was repealed effective this past Jan 1, 2019.

(Other part stand, for now. But that was one part I thought sure had expired.)

Old 07-11-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
You'll most likely be paid every 2 weeks, to start with. (There are exceptions.)

After all my deductions, contributions, retirement, etc., is funded, I "take home" about 70% of my salary.

If you need more details - read on - otherwise - that's it!

Some of your entire overall pay (we call that "the gross pay") is deducted for:

Federal Income Tax (~12-20%, unavoidable)
State Income Tax (~5% in Kentucky)
Local / County Income tax (Varies by Location, but typically 1-2%, if applicable)

Our mandatory retirement contribution here is referred to as "Social Security" and it, too, is automatically deducted from your pay, about 6% I think. ("Social Security" is the bare minimum. It's what our "fixed income" OLD people live on, month to month. Many get by, but it's far from "good money.")

There's also Medicare Tax, Unemployment Tax, and Workers Compensation Tax, each adding a percent or two.

In end, you'll pay 20-30% of your pay in taxes, overall, which are mandatory. (Just on average ... it can be more or less.)

THEN -

Depending on where you work, and at your employers discretion, generosity, or greed, depending on political viewpoint, you may choose / be offered an additional road to retirement savings, with some tax benefits (maybe). This amount can vary tremendously, but, in general, is entirely voluntary, and is routed to an investment program of some sort. Your employer may also "donate" to this.

Next, "health insurance" is not one of our taxes. Many employers provide a discounted insurance (or completely "free" in some cases) - so the remaining amount (after the discount) is taken from your pay. This also varies widely, from nothing to several hundred dollars a month.

At the moment, health insurance is not compulsory.

Am I forgetting any? I'm not a CPA!

Thanks for such an informative response! That's roughly what I currently pay here in England so isn't too bad I guess.

The next thing I wanted ask was holiday/vacation, is there a minimum amount of paid leave your employer must give you or can they call it what they want? I'm still in the early stages of talks with my employer as to what my role/compensation package would look like so these aren't things that I've been able to go over with them.

A big part of the reason I was even considering coming out to the states was because it would give me chance to explore more of it than I ever would be able to afford coming from the UK.

Thanks

SC

Old 07-11-2019, 02:35 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,961,640 times
Normal vaction for a new hire used to be two weeks per year, and three weeks after 5 years, and 4 weeks after 20 years. Sick time would vary from company to company. Mine was 5 days per year. You had better carry good health insurance as a hospital stay could cost you $10,000 a day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salad19 View Post
Thanks for such an informative response! That's roughly what I currently pay here in England so isn't too bad I guess.

The next thing I wanted ask was holiday/vacation, is there a minimum amount of paid leave your employer must give you or can they call it what they want? I'm still in the early stages of talks with my employer as to what my role/compensation package would look like so these aren't things that I've been able to go over with them.

A big part of the reason I was even considering coming out to the states was because it would give me chance to explore more of it than I ever would be able to afford coming from the UK.

Thanks

SC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment