Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 04:17 AM

11 posts, read 5,308 times

Advertisements

Hi guys. I would like to share with you my bad experience that i have had over 2 years ago but which still bothers me. I want to hear an advice from experienced people here whether i did something wrong back there. I will try to be the most accurate and give the maximum details so sorry if it is boring to read.

So i am immigrant in US and because of my language barrier i cannot compete with the most of native-speakers at job market. Therefore when i saw the job-position from one big IT-outsorcing agency (not sure if i can post the company name here, lets just call them BT) that they require translator from English to my language who also has some experience in IT (not development but general things like networks, operating systems and such) i was very happy. Basically the job was to translate stuff from english to another language for the users of their software product.

So i have applied to that position and they gave me several tests which i passed. After that the recruiter wote me the date and time when she will call me and asked me to read about their company... So i did but it was really boring and hard to memorise because all what i was reading was just crap like "we are so great company with millions acheivements" etc... Finally she called me and this American woman was really arrogant from the beginning... Apparently she was feeling her advantage over me simply because i don't speak English so good as her and obviously i need this job... I am not trying to whining here because usually recruiters in US are polite and friendly. But not this one...

Anyway i needed this job so i went on interview. It was in Bellevue, WA - big building with fancy offices inside. I was waiting her around half-hour. Finally she arrived and invited me inside where we sat in one small room. There were only me, her and one guys who was supposed to be my potential project leader or something.

During the interview i was nervous and was trying to be as much honest and open as i can. So i started asking questions about the job, and who is their customer (since they are outsorcing which means me and others will support product of another company), etc.. I couldn't understand why they don't give me details and name of the end-customer... They were very waguely worded and just repeating that it is very responsible position and i will go through 3 month training first... And then when i was asking my next question suddenly the HR-woman interrupted me by saying very loud "He is answering your question!"...

I remembered this because i didn't expect that at all and it sounded really rude. Anyway at the end of interview they gave me another test to make sure that i am indeed the native speaker of the language they were looking for.

After that interview i was trying to reach them during 2 weeks but they kept saying that they don't have any update in regard to my application. Finally HR-woman called and she said that despite the fact that she was very impressed by my skills blablabla... they decided to take another person... Which is sad but is ok, right? But after that i was shocked because she said that during interview i was speaking over them and interrupting them multiple times which made them feel uncomportable. Basically she was rebuking me like i am a little boy.

Now i don't have a problem if my skills are not so good comparing with others. I don't have problem with it at all. But when people are wasting 3 weeks of my time giving me long tests and after that insulting me and accusing me in something i have never done - here i have a problem. I basically felt like she just wiped her feet over me simply because she can.

Don't get me wrong. I am very friendly person and this is actually was the first (and hopefully the last one) time in my life when i felt so offended. The problem is not that i didn't get that job but the fact that somebody can treat you like crap and you can't do anything about it.

Now that story happened 2 years ago. And i saw the same job position from them over and over again. They still have it on indeed right now.

So finally my question is what have i done wrong back then?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 06:31 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Well, you have already had someone tell you what you did wrong. Instead of believing her, you accuse her of lording her English ability over you.

Then there's this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anttor30 View Post

...asked me to read about their company... So i did but it was really boring and hard to memorise because all what i was reading was just crap like "we are so great company with millions acheivements" etc...
It really sounds like you may have an ego problem, like you were too good to learn the materials required for the job.

One thing people often don't get is that skills are only part of the job. There is also something called "fit" that is a big factor in whether you will be hired. It means how well you will "fit in" with the others already working there. It doesn't have to mean you are back-slapping golf buddies with everyone, but mostly that you are easy to be around and don't make the work experience worse with a difficult personality.

It just sounds like they thought your personality wasn't a good fit for them.

Old 07-06-2019, 06:37 AM

29,517 posts, read 22,653,459 times
You just weren't the one they are looking for.

That's life, often our egos blind our perceptions.

It's been two years, time to move on from a job interview. And yes, you can go ahead and apply again if you want, nothing says you cannot.

Old 07-06-2019, 07:06 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
How did you write all that if your English is not "so good"?

And the woman was arrogant? Again, if your English isn't "so good" how would you know?

Old 07-06-2019, 07:28 AM

9,459 posts, read 5,221,264 times
Sounds perhaps like some cultural misunderstandings. Where are you from?
Two years is way too long to hang on to this. Move on.

That said, it does seem like you were not interested in at least doing reading about the company that they asked you to do. Perhaps you would have had a better handle on what to ask during the interview.
It sounds like this was not a good fit. If the interview is awkward and tense, and people are visibly annoyed, usually doesn't turn out well.
You may well have had the skills they needed, but the personality fit wasn't right.
do you have a job now?
suggestion, too, take an English class, not that your English looks that bad from all you've written here It will likely help smooth out any inconsistencies is your understanding of the language. That night have helped the interview go better.
good luck

Old 07-06-2019, 07:33 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,243,800 times
Apparently they decided not to hire you because you were "speaking over them and interrupting them multiple times, which made them uncomfortable."

Old 07-06-2019, 07:53 AM

6,817 posts, read 11,545,464 times
Try this next time.

Interviewer asks a question. You: listen to entire question, then answer. Interviewer says “Do you have any questions?” You: ask your question, then SHUT UP and listen to entire answer. Do not argue or interject your opinion about the answer given. When interviewer says “Anything else?” Then ask your next one, and follow previous rule about shutting up and listening.

As painful as it might be, job interviews are an occasion when it’s better to BS and azzkiss a little. After you start the job, then you can revert to your “real” self.

Old 07-06-2019, 08:23 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
You kept calling them, you need to learn that after the interview and a 1 week follow up, it's best to ignore them and continue on.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:16 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Sometimes, for whatever reason they might have, an interviewer is not supposed to tell an interviewee certain things that they feel the interviewee doesn't need to know at that point in the process. If they didn't answer your question the first time you asked it, maybe just leave that question until later, like after you are hired. Do you really need to know who their customer is to decide whether or not to accept their job offer? Asking that question persistently probably cost you the job. Take the lesson and move on.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:27 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Try this next time.

Interviewer asks a question. You: listen to entire question, then answer. Interviewer says “Do you have any questions?” You: ask your question, then SHUT UP and listen to entire answer. Do not argue or interject your opinion about the answer given. When interviewer says “Anything else?” Then ask your next one, and follow previous rule about shutting up and listening.

As painful as it might be, job interviews are an occasion when it’s better to BS and azzkiss a little. After you start the job, then you can revert to your “real” self.
Exactly. It’s best to be humble, and if they ask you to research the company, come to the interview prepared with a glowing report of what you learned! Ask who they’re looking for to fill the position, and then be that person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment