Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2019, 07:22 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
I meant..assume I've seen the resumes and their self-described skills are the same. Sheesh.

Example : I need a draftsman with skills in, say autocad. Both applicants are recent grads. Both know autocad they claim. Both have three or four years of non technical experience during college. Both have a degree. Except it's not two resumes. It's 13.

I only have the paper to go by to choose interviewees.

Except some were the "assistant Manger" at their last job.

Round file. Sorry.
If their last job was "feeding trough in a stable", they might be telling the truth!

Old 07-17-2019, 07:27 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Ocd is not required to produce a resume without mistakes. Based on some posters here, I have to wonder what your tolerance is for errors in the workplace. Typo in email? Internal emails, I'd prefer you spend zero time proofreading, the cost outweighs the benefit. Emails to customers with errors? More Than an occasional error is really inexcusable.
Wrong zip code on a shipment?eh it'll probably get there anyway. Wrong customer address on shipment? I've seen this happen.
I don't think being Ocd is required to get an address right. So somewhere in there is where errors aren't acceptable. I've seen plenty of people get addresses right 100% of the time, so I assume it's possible.

Same with resumes.
Sorry, roodd279, I'd toss your resume for THAT.

OCD means "Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder" People HAVE OCD. They can't BE OCD, yet somehow that's become common usage, as if it's some charming little quirk instead of a serious mental health issue.

Ahem, back to our regularly scheduled discussion...

Old 07-17-2019, 07:38 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
Quote:
Same with resumes.

Your comment is out of touch.

Quote:
I don't think being Ocd is required to get an address right.
People are not OCD, they have OCD.

Interesting how you lecture people about making sure their resume has no spelling or grammar mistakes while you let yourself slide for grammar mistakes.

Mistakes happen as a matter of due course at work. Based on your standard, does this mean nobody should ever be allowed to earn a living?

To err is human, to forgive divine.

Would you want to work for an employer who gives you a second chance to fix your mistakes or do you want one who fires people for minor mistakes? Those who reject candidates for mistakes on their resume are the types who fire people for tiny mistakes.

How an employer treats their candidates is how they treat their employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 07:48 AM

745 posts, read 480,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Ferris View Post
#2 -- unprofessional appearance.
Is it a professional job? Banker, doctor, lawyer? If not, why do you think you have any right to say what an employee should wear? All too often, "unprofessional" is a code word for ageism and/or racism. Or the "they don't look like me so I won't hire them" attitude.
"unprofessional" is a code word for ageism and racism? That's a new one to me and the rest of the planet.

An employer has the right to set a dress code. Deal with it, especially since many are very relaxed anyway.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:04 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
For every day rotten wages and for production work, don't expect to have Ivy-leaguers show up for these positions in Gucci suits. . You get what you pay for these days usually.
No, but you'd think they wear at least clean clothes and take their ball cap off. I can tell by their walk already if they will make it through the first weeks or not. If someone cannot keep up walking behind me through the hallway to the interview room and lags behind, he/she won't be very productive on the line either. But we hire everyone even though I don't agree with it.

We should pay a little more and reject the obvious losers and would have way less turnover - but my company doesn't agree to this.

You know, I was young, too and did not give a crap - but I always showed up professional looking to an interview.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:16 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,877,686 times
I feel like we're covering old ground again, but I'll keep going - and I'll emphasize, seriously,
that this is my 2nd topic with this city-data forum - and I find everyone here just - above average ya know?

This is not a normal forum. I haven't seen too many bozos posting. Attitude is fine. But it's been educational, and I'm
glad I posted the question, even if it isn't what I expected to see. Onward...

Mightyqueen - YES - Ha! I considered that regarding the trough. And that was the Asst. Manger job! What was the (senior) Manger job??

Regarding OCD - my apologies and I appreciate being educated. I try not to bring stuff up I know nothing about. No excuses, though, consider me Learned.

Bobsell - I don't lecture anyone about their resume. I am asking why anyone submits one that is not as good as it can be. I don't expect perfection every day at every task - I make errors all day long, including the "OCD" error. But these errors are 99% related to: A) In a hurry; B) Guessed wrong; C) I'm stupid in that topic.

None of these things explain poorly written resumes. That happens because of D) Doesn't care.
The mistake isn't the typo or whatever. The mistake is D.

I have my answer, and it was obvious all along: Resumes with errors come from someone who doesn't care.

I thought it would be "didn't know" - but I was wrong. It's "doesn't care."

(Don't read that with hostility - I just mean, it's not important to you. It's not a priority. You simply don't care that much about it.)

I don't know why so many folks are bashing me on the premise. I assumed (ahem) that it was a given - resumes should be practically flawless. It's not ME that says this - it's every HR/corporation/business journal/educational journal/college job prep/HS guidance counselor. I don't understand arguing with all of that evidence.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:32 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
I feel like we're covering old ground again, but I'll keep going - and I'll emphasize, seriously,
that this is my 2nd topic with this city-data forum - and I find everyone here just - above average ya know?

This is not a normal forum. I haven't seen too many bozos posting. Attitude is fine. But it's been educational, and I'm
glad I posted the question, even if it isn't what I expected to see. Onward...

Mightyqueen - YES - Ha! I considered that regarding the trough. And that was the Asst. Manger job! What was the (senior) Manger job??

Regarding OCD - my apologies and I appreciate being educated. I try not to bring stuff up I know nothing about. No excuses, though, consider me Learned.

Bobsell - I don't lecture anyone about their resume. I am asking why anyone submits one that is not as good as it can be. I don't expect perfection every day at every task - I make errors all day long, including the "OCD" error. But these errors are 99% related to: A) In a hurry; B) Guessed wrong; C) I'm stupid in that topic.

None of these things explain poorly written resumes. That happens because of D) Doesn't care.
The mistake isn't the typo or whatever. The mistake is D.

I have my answer, and it was obvious all along: Resumes with errors come from someone who doesn't care.

I thought it would be "didn't know" - but I was wrong. It's "doesn't care."

(Don't read that with hostility - I just mean, it's not important to you. It's not a priority. You simply don't care that much about it.)

I don't know why so many folks are bashing me on the premise. I assumed (ahem) that it was a given - resumes should be practically flawless. It's not ME that says this - it's every HR/corporation/business journal/educational journal/college job prep/HS guidance counselor. I don't understand arguing with all of that evidence.
The applicant might be trying to rush out the resume. Let's remember they MIGHT be looking at multiple jobs and your job might have a 40 minute process due to using a service like Taleo or have a "job skills test" that asks if Johnny wanted to give a safety speil while training a new hire but was a total putz and cut corners would you let him do it, report it to the boss, correct or say "No I got this." Adding specifying the resume to the company and the job duties of the ad, it makes it easy to rush things. If you showed you rushed your resume like you did the OCD comments, your resume would end in the trash. Simple as that. You chalk it up to not caring, but it also rushing through an already long application process.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:47 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
If you're trying to get a job, and one or more of these things do not matter to you, can you tell me why?

1. Mistakes on resumes - either kind (Factual or Typo)
2. Unprofessional appearance, whatever that means to you
3. Poor time management
4. Frequent need to contact the "outside world" (i.e., why are you always looking at your phone?)
5. Disinterest in your own future (you don't understand retirement plans, or the need for one...)

bonus

#6. Horrendous writing skills - I don't just mean spelling.

If one of these describes you - can you explain why?
Must not be a construction job.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:48 AM

2,871 posts, read 1,150,103 times
OP, your message is lost on many. I'm closing in on 60 and just recently was hired for a new position.
You'd better believe that spelling, grammar, punctuation, and content in a resume' is important. First impressions matter.
The questions asked about your future are telling to the interviewer as well, in that they don't want another "hit and run" candidate; re-hiring and re-training employees is an expensive, and disruptive, task.
Dressing the part is also paramount to success, and is also indicative of one's self-respect. Whether the wardrobe comes from Wal-Mart or Nordstrom's does not matter.
The traffic excuse for being late is lame.
Bottom line: a candidate that is being interviewed for a position in the company represents that company. Brand is everything these days.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:06 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,877,686 times
Well, OldPuss, I think it's me and you against the world.

MKPunk - in those situations, it can happen. This is not that.

It's a simple, small, local business, looking for qualified applicants. I normally screen resumes for 10 days or so, then start asking people to come in. No hurry at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment