Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2019, 08:38 PM

531 posts, read 453,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
As a manager I DO define what is professional.

It seems we're going round in circles here. If there IS an objective definition of "professional" in whatever job you are interviewing people for, then you do not define it. If it is purely subjective, that is, if "professional" means to you "people I like", then what you are saying is you like people you like. I won't disagree with that, but it might not be very useful for making hiring decisions.

As a manager, do you also define WORKPLACE DIVERSITY? Or is that a concept you do not recognize?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 08:52 PM

2,068 posts, read 1,001,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Ferris View Post
As a manager, do you also define WORKPLACE DIVERSITY? Or is that a concept you do not recognize?

Does adherence to "workplace diversity" mean I have to hire to unbathed homeless person who dropped their "Will work for food" sign outside my door and borrowed a pencil to fill out the employment application?

Old 07-13-2019, 12:29 PM

8,252 posts, read 3,507,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
These days I don't even get a callback to find out what's so criminally offensive about my application.
When I apply for jobs I cannot prove I worked anywhere except for Walmart which fired me. I end up being blocked from applying at some places because it is assumed I lied about working somewhere. The local library sent me a letter saying they chose someone else and they were discarding my application (instead of keeping it on file which they usually do) because the libraries I worked at in the past have no record of me and the librarians I worked under are long gone. So, I'm in my 40s and the only work experience I can put down is Wal-mart where I was fired and am barred from rehire. I've actually thought about lying and saying I've been in prison for all these years and leave Walmart off entirely since ex-convicts even get hired over me.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:49 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,995,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Whenever I've been involved with the hiring process, looking at stacks of resumes made me groan. I'd want to pare that stack down as quickly as possible. Any errors greatly increased the chance of my filing it in the round cabinet. Fair? No. But I also could not take a full day to carefully read every one of a hundred resumes. I needed to get it down to ten, and work from there.

Which is why you do not want to be one of 10,000 people pasting your info into online forms, hoping you'll get through the gates. You need to network. You need to know people who know people. You need to be able to hand your resume to someone who has decision-making ability, or who will be an internal champion for you... and have that person want to receive and act on it.

I've seen moany threads here about "Why are all of the popular people who hang out after work and go to social events the ones who get ahead?" Because they've built and maintained networks! They can reach out directly, and have Bob pass their resume along to Sally, who Bob knows needs to hire people but she hates the HR process as much as candidates! And when Bob hands Sally your resume, and Sally trusts Bob, you're way ahead of the game right there. Fair? No. But that's how the game is played, and if you want to win you need to either play the game by the rules. You just need to game the rules to your advantage.

So thats what its come to ehhh??? A very shallow, Sad pathetic society

Throw all your skills out the window!!!. Work ethic? Bye bye? Dependability?? See ya. Education and Experience? Bye... Show up to happy hour to impress people and BS your way into positions you may not even be qualified for? Oh yesssss.. May as well sell the country to China if Meritocracy doesn't exist and what should be the most important things aren't even considered.

Old 07-13-2019, 01:26 PM

4,031 posts, read 1,884,793 times
It's not an all or nothing situation. There's no reason you can't be good at your job And also be a good networker. That's who gets hired. It's not "one or the other." I don't want a perfect resume instead of talent. I want someone whose talent is reflected in their resume and professionalism.

There are very few jobs that are so demanding of "star quality" talent that you cannot do the other stuff well too.

Old 07-13-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
It's not an all or nothing situation. There's no reason you can't be good at your job And also be a good networker. That's who gets hired. It's not "one or the other." I don't want a perfect resume instead of talent. I want someone whose talent is reflected in their resume and professionalism.

There are very few jobs that are so demanding of "star quality" talent that you cannot do the other stuff well too.
Generally the people that overly network their way into everything rely on that over getting there through other means like meritocracy, working hard, gaining experience, showing value and deserving to be there . Ive seen it time and time again for it to be a coincidence.

If you got powerful connections you can have a well paying career for life and nothing else matters. Even if you do everything wrong or do nothing at all

Last edited by DorianRo; 07-13-2019 at 01:53 PM..

Old 07-13-2019, 03:28 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,442,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Generally the people that overly network their way into everything rely on that over getting there through other means like meritocracy, working hard, gaining experience, showing value and deserving to be there . Ive seen it time and time again for it to be a coincidence.

If you got powerful connections you can have a well paying career for life and nothing else matters. Even if you do everything wrong or do nothing at all
Deserving in whose eyes? The hiring manager's, the candidate's, or yours? Only one of those opinions will open doors.

This thread seems like it was opened by someone frustrated with his applicant pool. What has OP done to source and attract better candidates?

Old 07-13-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Deserving in whose eyes? The hiring manager's, the candidate's, or yours? Only one of those opinions will open doors.

This thread seems like it was opened by someone frustrated with his applicant pool. What has OP done to source and attract better candidates?

Just because a hiring manager is easily persuaded by a "happy go lucky", smiling face, a handshake doesn't mean they are the best candidate. Lots of people are overlooked for someone with connections. This is the danger in ignoring ability, aptitude etc. You can also RUIN a company from the inside out with bad hires.

Old 07-13-2019, 03:45 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,442,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Just because a hiring manager is easily persuaded by a "happy go lucky", smiling face, a handshake doesn't mean they are the best candidate. Lots of people are overlooked for someone with connections. This is the danger in ignoring ability, aptitude etc. You can also RUIN a company from the inside out with bad hires.
I agree with that. One big good ol' boys' club, with no room for productive employees, yes it sure can sink a ship. I don't find that the "good ol' boys" are hired into technical or production roles, though. They're more prevalent in roles where the only opinions are collective ones (marketing, management), and less where there is a definite rubber-meets-the-road accountability. Less apt to fail or get fired.

Usually even these hires aren't 100% out-of-the-loop airheads, they're "nominally qualified" candidates who know their way around, but may not be a "10X engineer" so to speak.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:02 PM

531 posts, read 453,930 times
I recently read a book about narcissism which pointed out that narcissists are very good at job interviews. They present themselves excellently because they are convinced they ARE excellent. The author also maintained that in some situations they are the best for the job. However, they usually wear out their welcome and earn the hostility of everybody they deal with in short order.
What amazes me is how we get nutcases at the top of very big companies. Roger Smith at General Motors, for example. At this moment, the chief stylist of GM is the man who designed the Aztek, and he is still screwing up their car designs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment