Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2019, 01:51 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,394,482 times

Advertisements

A lot of times I will speak with a recruiter and then they will say something like "we have a few more ppl to talk to but will be in touch with you by the end of the week."

Let's say it's been another week and you haven't heard from them … is following up making a candidate seem desperate or making them seem interested? If a candidate DIDN'T follow up, would you think they were NOT interested anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 02:09 PM

285 posts, read 204,658 times
I would follow up. It shows more initiative. Why would you think along the lines of desperate? Everyone's desperate for something, if you think about it. Stay positive.

If a candidate didn't follow up, it wouldn't make a difference to me if the person is a good fit. Either way I would want that person to try for an interview.

Keep in mind that recruiters and recruiting agencies are paid for each candidate they place. They really don't care what you think of them and they don't develop complex ideas about what you are either as long as you are professional and have the adequate qualifications. I worked in HR for awhile. Stand out with your resume and your experience and have the proper credentials. If you're even halfway personable and not a complete weirdo you will stand a good chance. You have no idea how many people they see in one week.

Good luck!

Old 09-06-2019, 02:36 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,797,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
A lot of times I will speak with a recruiter and then they will say something like "we have a few more ppl to talk to but will be in touch with you by the end of the week."

Let's say it's been another week and you haven't heard from them … is following up making a candidate seem desperate or making them seem interested? If a candidate DIDN'T follow up, would you think they were NOT interested anymore?
I kind of debate that "We'll be in touch by X date" That's either a "Thanks for applying but don't hold your breath" or "Don't bother asking further"

Old 09-06-2019, 03:21 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,394,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I kind of debate that "We'll be in touch by X date" That's either a "Thanks for applying but don't hold your breath" or "Don't bother asking further"
Ehhh yeah but sometimes they just completely ghost you too.

Old 09-08-2019, 09:32 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,667,197 times
Quote:

Follow up once. That can show interest or perseverance or just be a reminder that you're still around. But if they don't respond then, write them off... if they contact you out of the blue weeks later with another opportunity, just delete the email or voicemail and move on, because they've revealed their nature to you.

Old 09-08-2019, 09:59 AM

25 posts, read 25,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Follow up once. That can show interest or perseverance or just be a reminder that you're still around. But if they don't respond then, write them off... if they contact you out of the blue weeks later with another opportunity, just delete the email or voicemail and move on, because they've revealed their nature to you.
I always follow up once. I would also not rule out another position with the company if you need money. HR people are flaky and don't really reveal the company. I worked at a great company, however most of HR was laid off and replaced with contractors who could care less.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:08 AM

801 posts, read 548,396 times
Quote:

I would move on tbh. If they wanted me, they would have called me.

Old 09-08-2019, 12:05 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,234,302 times
I generally save the last email from recruiters in my inbox, if they're still communicating with me.

I follow up a week after the interview. I ask "Can I please get a status update?"

If I hear nothing (or rejected) I move on. I transfer the email to a folder to get it out of my inbox.

If I hear they need more time, I save their email and follow up in a week.

I keep applying for jobs and do not get emotionally attached to any application.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment