Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2021, 11:49 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,114,539 times

Advertisements

Greetings everyone,

I've found myself in a strange pickle as of late, and I need some additional guidance from unbiased parties.

Late last year, I left a role due to an intolerable manager. I know at the time it was the right decision for my mental health, but I am somewhat regretful at times given my current circumstances. During that transition out, I decided to embark on a new journey in a field I considered more predictable and stable than my previous one. Given my background in financial and data analysis, and being highly specialized in Excel, I decided to pursue accounting. I started going back to school for a 2nd bachelor's degree, and wound up landing a role as a "junior accountant" at a boutique firm that specializes in bookkeeping services for restaurants and bars.

What I've found about this particular role is that it is extremely mundane. Furthermore, the type of services we perform are what I'd consider on the very low end of the accounting spectrum. It is highly clerical in nature, no matter which level you are at in the company. I'd describe our group, first and foremost, as a call center. Secondly, as button pushers. And thirdly, as shipping clerks. I'm not leveraging any of my skills or past experience in this role. And while I was fine with it for the interim, I'm quickly becoming weary of my predicament.

I have been putting resumes out there for other roles that lean more towards analytics, but some accounting and finance as well. However, strangely enough, it seems that my prior work history is being heavily discounted while my inexperience in accounting is also hurting me. I'm not really sure how I wound up here, but I am struggling to break free. I'm hoping that either someone with similar industry experience or who has made a career transition like this might have some insights on how they successfully orchestrated it. I seem a bit lost at the moment. Any feedback is welcome.

Thank you for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2021, 12:05 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,369,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post

I have been putting resumes out there for other roles that lean more towards analytics, but some accounting and finance as well. However, strangely enough, it seems that my prior work history is being heavily discounted while my inexperience in accounting is also hurting me. I'm not really sure how I wound up here, but I am struggling to break free. I'm hoping that either someone with similar industry experience or who has made a career transition like this might have some insights on how they successfully orchestrated it. I seem a bit lost at the moment. Any feedback is welcome.

Thank you for your time!
What I think would be helpful to you, is to expand your network. Find people who are working in roles that you want in companies that look good. Make contact with them, and discuss work there and how you could make a more favorable impact to employers. Use online Meetups and other trade groups associated with what you want to be working in and make contacts through there. I realize there is a pandemic, but you could do this online. These contacts might recommend certain certifications, accounting tools you should learn and how to make changes to your resume to highlight those things employers will find attractive. If you had tasks in your current and past jobs that don't align with the current positions you are going after, then don't include them.

Old 06-17-2021, 01:22 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,268,769 times
What is your prior experience, and how does it translate into what you are applying for?

Old 06-17-2021, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
What I think would be helpful to you, is to expand your network. Find people who are working in roles that you want in companies that look good. Make contact with them, and discuss work there and how you could make a more favorable impact to employers. Use online Meetups and other trade groups associated with what you want to be working in and make contacts through there. I realize there is a pandemic, but you could do this online. These contacts might recommend certain certifications, accounting tools you should learn and how to make changes to your resume to highlight those things employers will find attractive. If you had tasks in your current and past jobs that don't align with the current positions you are going after, then don't include them.
Good thoughts! I've been attempting to do a bit of this amid the pandemic, and it's been a little slow. I've not been getting as many LinkedIn conversations off the ground as I'd like.

The strangest thing for me has been that I often get compliments on my "diverse" work history, but also rejections with feedback that they're "looking for more experience". I'd love to learn what my past 13 years of experience lends itself to.

Old 06-17-2021, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
What is your prior experience, and how does it translate into what you are applying for?
The past seven years have been spent in progressive roles as an analyst that encompassed data analytics, financial analysis, and compliance. I've worked across several industries such as telecom, healthcare, and insurance. The first six years aren't as relevant, but were corporate roles in industry nonetheless.

I've been applying to a lot of analyst-oriented roles, as that is what I'm most passionate about. Some are in data, some in systems, and some are in accounting/finance. The initial thought was that I could marry my existing experience and skill set with a more rounded out accounting background for better and more abundant opportunities. In proportion to resumes sent out, I'm getting a decent amount of interviews. But the most common feedback post-rejection is that they're looking for someone with more experience.

I've had several jobs, and in the past, I found that hiring managers were more apt to take you on if you demonstrated aptitude and an eagerness to learn even if you weren't perfectly aligned with the role. Currently, at least based on what I'm experiencing, it seems like they are seeking out a 100% perfect match of someone who has already done their job. And that's proving this endeavor of working my way up in a newish field to be rather difficult.

Old 06-17-2021, 03:26 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
Late last year, I left a role due to an intolerable manager. I know at the time it was the right decision for my mental health, but I am somewhat regretful at times given my current circumstances.
You learned the hard way not to quit a job without having another one lined up. You should have kept the job, and do a stealth job search. You had an advantage in the job market as a "passive candidate" which you gave up in (dis)favor of being discriminated against for being out of work.

Quote:
I have been putting resumes out there for other roles that lean more towards analytics, but some accounting and finance as well. However, strangely enough, it seems that my prior work history is being heavily discounted
You could have had a passive candidate status, which gave you an advantage in the job market. You currently are a passive candidate in the accounting field.

So, you have to make a choice: Which field do you want? Accounting/Auditing or analytics?

Also, there are accounting/auditing fields that use analytics too, but guess what? You need more experience there.

Old 06-17-2021, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
You learned the hard way not to quit a job without having another one lined up. You should have kept the job, and do a stealth job search. You had an advantage in the job market as a "passive candidate" which you gave up in (dis)favor of being discriminated against for being out of work.
That's quite a mighty assumption. I wasn't out of work long, maybe a few weeks after actively starting my search. And I had also started going back to school in that time frame. So I was actively working towards something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
You could have had a passive candidate status, which gave you an advantage in the job market. You currently are a passive candidate in the accounting field.
I don't think this is based in reality. There are numerous examples of people losing jobs, quitting jobs and going back to school, taking on "gap" jobs before ultimately getting back into their respective fields. I'm hardly the first to do it, and I'll not be the last either. My prior, recent experience doesn't go away because I'm currently working in another field.

Thank you for your thoughts though.

Old 06-17-2021, 08:31 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,087,371 times
I don't know how old you are, but my first reaction is what made you pursue accounting?

Just 'stability' and 'abundant job opportunities'?

Because the way I look at it is like this ... you haven't invested much, and you got a job in it, and you don't like it. Which I think is great. You didn't want to complete an expensive degree and THEN decide you dislike it. Maybe you can try one more job in it?

Assuming you are young enough, it's OK to switch careers and try things out, but my suggestion is to jump ship as soon as you know it's not for you.

The last thing you want to do is complete the degree and bounce back and forth between accounting and financial analyst.

Careers favor those who make strong decisions and stick with them.

Old 06-17-2021, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I don't know how old you are, but my first reaction is what made you pursue accounting?

Just 'stability' and 'abundant job opportunities'?
Spot on! In a little more detail, in all my years in industry, accounting majors always seemed to fair well in all aspects of the business. Sure, I wanted to try out accounting for size. But I also figured it'd just look good on a resume given how well off my accounting major colleagues seemed to be.

Quote:
Because the way I look at it is like this ... you haven't invested much, and you got a job in it, and you don't like it. Which I think is great. You didn't want to complete an expensive degree and THEN decide you dislike it. Maybe you can try one more job in it?
Again, spot on! I definitely want to try out another role, in another organization, because I don't think what I'm doing is a whole lot of accounting. At best, it's bookkeeping, but mostly it's bookkeeping lite for non-accounting people. I don't think I've got a good enough sense of the field to make any final decisions about leaving it.

Quote:
Assuming you are young enough, it's OK to switch careers and try things out, but my suggestion is to jump ship as soon as you know it's not for you.
100% agree with you. This is what I'm trying to do. It's been about 8 months in this role, at this company, and I know it's not a good fit from every aspect. The trouble for me has been getting out and into something else. This job search has been the hardest in my career, but maybe I'm just getting old and less tolerant of the process. I've applied to about 30-some jobs and had maybe 20% yield interviews.
I'm being told I lack experience on the analytics side--mostly with the latest tools--and obviously lacking experience on the accounting side because of lack of hands-on.

Quote:
The last thing you want to do is complete the degree and bounce back and forth between accounting and financial analyst.
I agree. I think I'm more of an analyst at heart.

Quote:
Careers favor those who make strong decisions and stick with them.
Agreed, and this is what I'm striving for. This is my first "major" career change at 35. But it's the first time in my life where I feel like I have enough useful data to make sound decisions on this front.

Old 06-17-2021, 09:13 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,853,283 times
Try sticking with your firm and working your way up. They do accounting for clients, so I'm sure you have a chance to show them you can be good at it. It is really hard to find good bookkeepers everywhere. Even halfway decent ones tend to make 2 times minimum wage in the area they live without much experience. You'll be at x3 if you actually are good at it. Want more? There is always more. If you get that 2nd bachelors, you can get a CPA and make more. Its hard work though and most aren't cut out for it. There are other ways to make money but a CPA is guaranteed to make good money even if the work is often hard and boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment