Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 02:25 PM

225 posts, read 716,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
bmd51, I've met some truly great UAW folks. However I delivered to a GM plant in Moraine, OH once. After backing into one of two open docks (in a set of four docks) , I walked inside. The guy inside said I had to move my truck to the other dock because "He only unloads trucks at HIS assigned dock"....

Having said that, I still am glad we have unions in America.
Lazyness is prevalent all over.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:12 PM

1,334 posts, read 2,994,152 times
Good post KevK reps for you brother....

I'm a third generation Union Boilermaker. My grandfather was a was one of the founders of our local. It was the unions who fought to get us a 8 hour work day and weekends off.

We go from job to job and If I don't like the "boss" (we call them foremen) I can tell him to go you know what...lol....my friends on the other hand have to play office politics and suck it up.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:15 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Frankly;I got tired of playing union politics and left when I was young ;never regretted it has many of my friends that stayed have wandered from job to job and can't even think about retiring.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:27 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
I was in a union (unofficially) for a very short time, the IBEW. They were the worst people I have ever worked around, lazy, wasted time and complained all the time. Plus not all, but more than enough did crappy work. I did not officially join, but I worked at an all union shop and they harrassed the heck out of me for being the only non-union member there.

It was a no wonder that seeing how they are that the union has now shrank to only having around 30% of the jobs as compared to over 70% in the 70's.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:32 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,515,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
bmd51, I've met some truly great UAW folks. However I delivered to a GM plant in Moraine, OH once. After backing into one of two open docks (in a set of four docks) , I walked inside. The guy inside said I had to move my truck to the other dock because "He only unloads trucks at HIS assigned dock"....

Having said that, I still am glad we have unions in America.

Maybe that is what he was told to do...I have found usually when there is some dumb thing, it is from higher up and it drips down.
I am glad we have some unions too.....

Old 05-26-2008, 02:21 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I've yet to meet a management that had my interests in mind.
As an RN, there is a whole lot of stupid squabbling about unions for RNs "not being professional" blah blah, as I think most RNs deeply fear their often-blue-collar roots. The (failed) union effort where I work was very ugly, and people were quite irrational about what a union does and doesn't do.
I said that a union quantifies the quantifiable, which is a very useful thing. Do night people get a shift diff for vacation days? If a program closes, how are the layoffs determined? (This was key in the early 1990s). What are the pay scales, and what are they based on? (We have to sign a paper that we will never discuss salaries with co-workers, or anything but the weather, just about. Of course, no one observes this. One guy signs his paper "Mickey Mouse.")
Forced overtime. Overtime after 40 hours, not after eight when forced. On and on.
My job hired a union-buster for several million dollars. So I figure the union must have had a lot to offer our level.

Has anyone ever seen the 1974 documentary "Harlan County USA," about coal strikes in Kentucky in the early 1970s? Is there any question that many industries absolutely needed (need) unions?

Old 05-26-2008, 04:21 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,034,103 times
I would never again work in a union. I want to be paid what I'm worth. I don't want som slack-jawed, lazy ass, mouthbreather making what I'm making if I'm better at the job.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:23 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,053,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmulk View Post
I would never again work in a union. I want to be paid what I'm worth. I don't want som slack-jawed, lazy ass, mouthbreather making what I'm making if I'm better at the job.
Sounds like you are out for nobody but yourself which is a PERFECT example why you have no place in a Union. Thank God for your self-righteous attitude. That alone should keep you out ! Unions are about unity...strength...brotherhood. I work with moron's, but they are my brothers because we are all one. We all look out for each other when it comes to the nitty gritty of it all. You obviously lack all those traits since it's about "me, me, me". Good thing you aren't part of a union anymore....you would be of no benefit to the whole concept.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:29 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
america needs unions but they don't think so bek they still gota whole lota good life.
unions made this country affluent (not corporations) and absence of same will take us back where we were. see those hard workin mexican people out there in the fields pickin lettuce, that is guna be us. no need to bring your skate board son, you won't need it.
23 million illegal mexican people workin here, think thats not labor busting?
our government and corporate america gota partnership goin, and we are not part of it.
france is having the battle of its life to keep its jobs and good life, 100% fought by unions.
my question is who is fighting for us? i see everything goin up but wages.
unions are like cops
people bad rap them a lot but they sure do call them when they get in trouble.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 05-27-2008 at 06:38 PM..

Old 05-29-2008, 08:08 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Union member here! I've found in the industry I work in, to not have a union is to beg to be mistreated, taken advantage of, and be expected to do unsafe things. Pay issues and job protection are just small fractions of the pie that our union fights for. Mostly, it's safety and quality of life issues. I wouldn't take a non union job in this profession. That would be craziness!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment