Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2008, 01:29 PM

250 posts, read 336,070 times

Advertisements

1) I am in IT (SQL Server database aministrator/developer) and want to find a city with a lack of IT talent so I can work 7 days a week, 12 hours a day and always have people asking me to do more work. I've done monster, etc., but need to know from those of you out there in the real world.

2) I want to live within close walking distance to work or use light rail because I am leaving my car behind. The $500 expense just to have the guzzler (before gas) is not worth it to me when travelling. I plan on working alot obviously, and need a city with very good (or better) mass transit. Not just buses but light rail, and not just 8-5 but all morning and all evening. I see from other threads that my choices might by NYC, Chicago, Portland and San Francisco. But again, I defer to your experience for this situation.

What region of the country do I like? COLD! But the work comes first, so that is my priority.

Those of you with IT experience or with working knowledge of firms that use database people are especially welcomed to respond. Even better than a city name would be a neighborhood within walking distance of everything essential... groceries, medical, and of course line. I like this forum because real people can answer from their own experience!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 07:01 PM

250 posts, read 336,070 times
Thanks for the PMs. Question answered.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:34 AM

7 posts, read 18,017 times
I live in Key West right now. THEY NEED HELP with IT issues. You don't need a car because you can walk or ride your bike. But - - there are huge amounts of local drunk people here. You would probably be ok if it's just you and your spouse. But I woudn't bring kids here. RESEARCH and don't move without a job.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:32 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,441,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshinspections View Post
1) I am in IT (SQL Server database aministrator/developer) and want to find a city with a lack of IT talent so I can work 7 days a week, 12 hours a day and always have people asking me to do more work. I've done monster, etc., but need to know from those of you out there in the real world.

2) I want to live within close walking distance to work or use light rail because I am leaving my car behind. The $500 expense just to have the guzzler (before gas) is not worth it to me when travelling. I plan on working alot obviously, and need a city with very good (or better) mass transit. Not just buses but light rail, and not just 8-5 but all morning and all evening. I see from other threads that my choices might by NYC, Chicago, Portland and San Francisco. But again, I defer to your experience for this situation.

What region of the country do I like? COLD! But the work comes first, so that is my priority.

Those of you with IT experience or with working knowledge of firms that use database people are especially welcomed to respond. Even better than a city name would be a neighborhood within walking distance of everything essential... groceries, medical, and of course line. I like this forum because real people can answer from their own experience!
Well, Seattle might be an option. I understand that Bill Gates can't seem to find good people to work for Microsoft and that is why he petitioned for more VISAs for people in other countries to come here to work. Seattle has a great transportation system although with gas prices the burden on it is getting worse. It's not real cold here, but if you like rain, this is the place for you. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment