Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2008, 07:04 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times

Advertisements

I applied for a job over a year ago. Sent my resume, sent references, thought I had a great shot at the job. Was getting emails from the potential employer. The last email asked me for another reference--which I sent. And then nothing. No response, no response to my follow-up emails/calls. Nothing. So I wrote the job off. Also, talked to my references and they said they weren't contacted.

Today I get an email from the exact same person asking me for an updated resume. No mention of an open position. Nothing except a request for an updated resume. I'm always open to new jobs, but I don't want to put time and effort into something that's not going to go anywhere. The last time I devoted alot of time giving this person information, answering questions, etc. I don't waste my time on something that might not pan out. On the other hand, if this is really a great opp for me, I don't want to blow it either.

How should I handle this? I checked the company website but no indication of any actual positions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 07:25 PM

266 posts, read 1,108,460 times
My guess is they went with someone else last time and that's why they didn't call you back. Now, either one of two things - that person didn't work out and you are the second choice. Or, they have another position and remembered you from last time.

If it's not posted, that is a great thing because few other people will be applying. Or, the HR person hasn't gotten around to it and it will show up in a few days.

I would definitely send the update and see where it goes. They obviously liked you last time, so you have a slight advantage over other candidates.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:47 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
I had an employer (the gov) notify me 14 months after I applied for a position, they extende to me a conditonal offer of employment.

I informed them I am in school and plan on completing school. So thanks, but no thanks.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:25 AM

763 posts, read 2,261,105 times
My wife got her current job (which is a great job) well over a year after she applied. Perhaps you made an impression on them.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:51 AM

1,294 posts, read 6,486,939 times
Just ask him. Say last time I applied, I was excited about the opportunity, sent the information requested and then heard nothing. This was a year ago and am wondering what position I am being considered for. I am encouraged that you contacted me and am interested in learning more. ??? Just something to ask what in the world they're doing. You shouldn't be left out in the dry like that and now he's seemingly doing it all over again, maybe. Good luck!

Old 07-26-2008, 10:16 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
I think that's pretty normal. Either the first person they hired didn't work out, or they had to go into a holding pattern for awhile maybe due to budget or whatever. To me it's a good sign.

Old 07-26-2008, 03:42 PM

145 posts, read 435,474 times
I agree with the other posts. It's a good sign if they kept your info on file and are contacting you a year later. Most employers only keep people on file for a few months. I would definately send an updated resume

Old 07-26-2008, 04:48 PM

732 posts, read 4,158,065 times
Go for it. You have nothing to lose

Old 07-26-2008, 05:36 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
Thanks, I am working on my resume now. I just wish I remembered what position I applied for. Usually I keep track of jobs I've applied for, which resume I used, etc. Unfortunately, I can't find anything. Grrrr. Wish me luck --Wednesday we had an emergency meeting at my current job and 6 of my coworkers were laid off. While I still have a job I've also been assigned their work, too, so feeling stressed.

Very cool how this guy just contacted me out of the blue. Who knows, maybe it is a sign.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:45 PM

822 posts, read 3,003,253 times
I once applied for a job, forgot about it, then had a call for an interview a year later. Then there was a problem with the funding so the interview was cancelled at the last minute. Six months later they called me again for an interview. On the other hand, the request for an updated resume could sort of be pro forma - something they do each year for people they like generally but don't have a job for currently.Personally I would just do it, but if they keep asking for more, I'd ask for some clarification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment