Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 11:15 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times

Advertisements

Hi all;

For any of you who have worked as a caregiver or companion for the elderly, and/or disabled, either as a CNA or otherwise, I have questions...

I know you can become a CNA quickly and I am thinking it is something I'd like. Plus, I see quite a few part time opportunities, where you can work 2 or 3 twelve hour days... and I think this would work well for me as a full time student.

I'm just wondering if there are many jobs like this where you don't have to deal with incontinence and baths and such. I just don't know if I could do that aspect of this type of job... I have cared for my own grandmother in this way and I was ONLY able to tolerate it because she's my grandma and there was no choice. I mean, I couldn't let her sit in a diaper and get a rash. I couldn't let ANYONE, for that matter, so I'd prefer to just not have to work with someone with those needs.

Do you think I could still find work maybe cooking, cleaning, reminding about medication, running errands / providing transportation, and just being a companion to someone (playing cards and chatting)?

Would I need the CNA to do that?

I know it doesn't pay that much more than fast food but at least it seems like it would be rewarding. So would child care but I've been there, done that, and long ago burned out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 01:26 PM

465 posts, read 1,417,015 times
I had to work as a CNA for years, If you think it is a cakewalk think again. If you can't deal with incontonince and giving baths don't waste your time, find something else.
You might get lucky and find a job as a private sitter.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bail_Khan View Post
I had to work as a CNA for years, If you think it is a cakewalk think again. If you can't deal with incontonince and giving baths don't waste your time, find something else.
You might get lucky and find a job as a private sitter.
Did I say it was a cakewalk?

No, I didn't.

I have known a couple people that did "sitter" jobs... just wondered if those are harder to get... my Grandma has Alzheimer's dementia, is incontinent, various health problems, meds needed, etc. I deal with it fine aside from the incontinence which I don't think is that crazy as far as what one might have an issue with...

Thanks for the response.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:58 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,244,003 times
I am not a CNA but my grandmother has one come in every day and her job does not look like fun, that's for sure. My grandmother basically needs help with a shower, no incontinence, but her attitude is enough to make a grown man cry...or Jerry Springer come knocking! Maybe you could work in an office setting????? ??Giving kids shots, taking weights, temps...

Old 10-19-2008, 02:03 PM

917 posts, read 2,298,630 times
Sounds like you mean a Personal Care Attendant. Ususlly older folks who need help cooking cleaning a little bit, groceries, Dr. appt. Usually 3-6 hrs a day. Easy job, sometimes boring, but no really yucky stuff. There are ads on craigslist under medical.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:33 PM

465 posts, read 1,417,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Did I say it was a cakewalk?
Go for it, make sure you roll your eyes at your charge nurse too.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bail_Khan View Post
Go for it, make sure you roll your eyes at your charge nurse too.
Well if they, too, cannot read, then I imagine I might...

Old 10-19-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann in Oriental View Post
Sounds like you mean a Personal Care Attendant. Ususlly older folks who need help cooking cleaning a little bit, groceries, Dr. appt. Usually 3-6 hrs a day. Easy job, sometimes boring, but no really yucky stuff. There are ads on craigslist under medical.
Yes, that does sound more along the lines of what I'm wanting to do, thanks. Transportation, companionship, cleaning, errands, maybe light cooking. I just didn't know what the official "title" would be for that type of thing.

mrstewart: my Grandma is crazy mean, too. I know what you're talking about.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:21 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,244,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Yes, that does sound more along the lines of what I'm wanting to do, thanks. Transportation, companionship, cleaning, errands, maybe light cooking. I just didn't know what the official "title" would be for that type of thing.

mrstewart: my Grandma is crazy mean, too. I know what you're talking about.
Haha!! They get crazy, don't they??

Mine has become a "Drama Mama"...told my aunt that I would not let her take a bath or use the phone Like I said, a Jerry Springer show in the making

Old 10-19-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Haha!! They get crazy, don't they??

Mine has become a "Drama Mama"...told my aunt that I would not let her take a bath or use the phone Like I said, a Jerry Springer show in the making
Oh yeah.... mine is super sweet in front of any strangers, home health people, the Meals on Wheels lady, etc. Everyone comment on what a sweetheart she is. Hah! Once it's just family, watchout. She'll throw stuff at my mom, tell her she wished she'd never been born, etc. She'll call me and tell me my mom won't let her have the car keys (um, with good reason!) and that she's being "held prisoner"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment