Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2008, 04:19 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times

Advertisements

I know there are many out there that have delivery jobs at companies where they can come in whenever they want and deliver how much they want. They also usually get payed by delivery. I have one friend who has such a job. I can't work there because I'm not old enough. You have to be 21. I'm an adult, but I'm not 21 yet.

My question to those people is this. Is it enough to live off of? Is it something that allows you to pay the bills and still have money leftover just to treat yourself?

All replies are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 06:00 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I know there are many out there that have delivery jobs at companies where they can come in whenever they want and deliver how much they want. They also usually get payed by delivery. I have one friend who has such a job. I can't work there because I'm not old enough. You have to be 21. I'm an adult, but I'm not 21 yet.

My question to those people is this. Is it enough to live off of? Is it something that allows you to pay the bills and still have money leftover just to treat yourself?

All replies are appreciated.
One way to find out would be look at how your friend is doing. If he's living large (or at least living okay) then I'd say you could probably make a decent wage/salary. If he's working hard and has nothing to show for it, then I'd say the opposite.

What kind of delivery is he doing. Bike messenger? Contractor for the big ones (UPS, FedEx)? Why do you have to be 21?

It might be a good job to get you through school or as an interim job until you find a career you really like.

Good luck.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:42 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
One way to find out would be look at how your friend is doing. If he's living large (or at least living okay) then I'd say you could probably make a decent wage/salary. If he's working hard and has nothing to show for it, then I'd say the opposite.

What kind of delivery is he doing. Bike messenger? Contractor for the big ones (UPS, FedEx)? Why do you have to be 21?

It might be a good job to get you through school or as an interim job until you find a career you really like.

Good luck.
Well, to be honest, he doesn't have any long term goals. He only works to pay rent and eat. I'm just wondering if there are people out there who have managed to make a good living off of doing that alone.

P.S. He makes flower deliveries. They pay him $8 per delivery. You can decide how many deliveries you want to make. He once made $400 in two days, but that was only because he needed it. He doesn't have the motivation to work just so he has money to throw around. I, on the other hand, do.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:05 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Well, to be honest, he doesn't have any long term goals. He only works to pay rent and eat. I'm just wondering if there are people out there who have managed to make a good living off of doing that alone.

P.S. He makes flower deliveries. They pay him $8 per delivery. You can decide how many deliveries you want to make. He once made $400 in two days, but that was only because he needed it. He doesn't have the motivation to work just so he has money to throw around. I, on the other hand, do.
Pizza delivery would pay more but may involve kitchen work or cleanup help when things are slow. Also some sandwich shops will do a lot of lunchtime delivery to businesses and they supposedly make decent money too, with better hours, I'd assume.

My partner used to work delivering flowers and it was pleasant enough but didn't pay that well. She now works for a pizza place and while she doesn't deliver she chats with the drivers enough to have an idea what they make and it definitely pays better than flowers. Of course, pizza delivery is not coming in whenever you want to deliver only how much you want to.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:22 AM

1 posts, read 6,741 times
Default Piecemeal Bike Messenger

I'm considering the possibilities of starting a Metro Nashville Bicycle Delivery Co-Op. The idea is centered around individuals with limited availability making themselves and their cargo bikes (like xtracycles, B.O.B Trailers, or Surly Big Dummy's) for deliveries. With rising fuel costs, it's doesn't really make sense for a business that has less than 10 deliveries a day to hire a driver, maintain and insure and fuel a delivery car. Small business owners wouldn't have to spend time on the road delivering and cyclists with a few extra hours a week could make a few bucks, keep carbon emission low and improve the visibility of cyclists.

This idea is in it's infant stage, anyone interested, as a client or a member, or if you have any ideas, please let me know.

Travis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment