Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 01:42 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,903 times

Advertisements

I have this job and they are really putting the heat on. I don't want to get fired and not be able to collect COBRA benefits. If one is fired for gross misconduct one doesn't get to collect COBRA benefits. I looked on the Net and there really isn't a firm definition that I found. Can an employer just say that not meeting their performance standards constitutes gross misconduct?

I work for this crappy employer and am thinking about quitting before they get a chance to fire me - just in case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 04:55 AM

2,111 posts, read 7,952,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I have this job and they are really putting the heat on. I don't want to get fired and not be able to collect COBRA benefits. If one is fired for gross misconduct one doesn't get to collect COBRA benefits. I looked on the Net and there really isn't a firm definition that I found. Can an employer just say that not meeting their performance standards constitutes gross misconduct?

I work for this crappy employer and am thinking about quitting before they get a chance to fire me - just in case.
I was in a similar situation where I felt like I was being set up. IMO, you not meeting their performance standards is not gross misconduct. Gross misconduct is bad like stealing, drinking on the job, fighting, sexual misconduct, stuff like that. I am unemployed now and my last job they downsized so they were making things bad for people. I wanted to quit before getting fired but they eliminated my job, put me on a new task in the warehouse for which I wasn't hired for. I went to HR and told them this, I cannot lift heavy things etc. I explained I felt I was being forced out, but if anything, they should lay me off. I guess they got the message as they tried something and I could have brought legal action against them, the next day I was laid off, and so relieved to be out of there. So now I collect UI and have cobra.

You don't mention what they are doing to turn the heat on. What are you doing or not doing that might be "gross misconduct"? A lot of employers will try to get away with things that are illegal by Dept of Labor standards. Would you prefer getting laid off to quitting? I did, as I am a senior worker and hard for me to find work. I never gave the "crappy" company I worked for any reason to fire me.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:30 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,171,437 times
Gross mis conduct is the willfull action of an employee to not perform an assigned job, theft, fighting, sexual harrassment, habitual misses or tardiness, or disrupting the work force, etc.
Occasional mistakes or the failure of the employer to do proper training that results in substandard job peformance by an employee is not a basis for the charge of gross mis conduct.
I was in supervision when I retired. An employer has to have good reasons, documentation, and a paper trail (unless it was a sudden, unacceptable action) to support their charges.
An employer can't just trump up these charges because of your race, sexual orientation, religion, gender, or because they dont like the color of your hair.
I don't know you and don't know whether or not you are a good employee.
But that kind of charge has to have hard, specific, provable, facts and documentaion.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:38 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,903 times
What concerns me is that they have now laid out the path to termination with documentation complete and have started firing people on strange grounds.

If I do not meet my producitivity standards for one week, I get a verbal warning. If it happens again, another verbal warning. The third time I am written up, fourth time written up, fifth time terminated. Now - this may seem reasonable until one realizes I work in SOCIAL SERVICES. I've already started making phone calls I really didn't need to, just to meet "productivity," and that is fine by them, as if I make one phone call for one minute they bill $14 for it. All in all, the whole thing bothers me, which is why I am starting to think ahead to my departure.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:54 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
Are they billing for public money (fed, state or local govt.) or private (insurance co.)? Either way, that's appalling.

I'm only half kidding here, but you could always gather documentation and go on a whistleblower/reform lecture circuit if you get canned.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:
What concerns me is that they have now laid out the path to termination with documentation complete and have started firing people on strange grounds.

If I do not meet my producitivity standards for one week, I get a verbal warning. If it happens again, another verbal warning. The third time I am written up, fourth time written up, fifth time terminated. Now - this may seem reasonable until one realizes I work in SOCIAL SERVICES. I've already started making phone calls I really didn't need to, just to meet "productivity," and that is fine by them, as if I make one phone call for one minute they bill $14 for it. All in all, the whole thing bothers me, which is why I am starting to think ahead to my departure.
I read your other thread " Finding a job over 40" and commented there. You mention there and not here more information regarding your work, especially about forced OT, working for free etc. So there are other issues concerning you and your job but it's hard to comment in 2 places.

Did you know about these Productivity standards when you got hired? If these tasks are unreasonable, which is what was being done to me, I just did what I can do and that's it till I got laid off. Now if they prevented me from UI, I would have gone to a lawyer. Also this could be appealed at the Unemployment office level.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:27 AM

Also, keep a paper trail. I sent all my emails home and printed them out. I also complained to my Manager (a..hole) that I was in over my head, by email, to document it.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:13 AM

1,786 posts, read 6,900,343 times
Quote:
You will not receive COBRA benefits if you quit.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:45 PM

359 posts, read 1,197,736 times
Pretty much anything you do in this day and age can and will justify misconduct that can get you terminated. All corporations and small businesses have a "spy" that watches EVERYTHING you do! and report it to a supervisor, or worse, a Manager! I have been set up many times, and I have been nearly terminated by those creeps many times. No matter which company you work for, DO NOT LET YOUR GUARD DOWN!

Old 11-28-2008, 02:03 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times
Quote:
i have this job and they are really putting the heat on. I don't want to get fired and not be able to collect cobra benefits. If one is fired for gross misconduct one doesn't get to collect cobra benefits. I looked on the net and there really isn't a firm definition that i found. Can an employer just say that not meeting their performance standards constitutes gross misconduct?

no, poor work performance is not gross misconduct, examples of gross misconduct is stealing, doing drugs, committing a crime, sexual harassment you get it, being late, bad job performance and all thngs like that are not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment