Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 04:06 PM

81 posts, read 341,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
Never stop looking young grasshopper. -_-

Hell I'm employed and I still look around. You never know what you may be missing...
Me too...You just never know....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 04:41 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Pfft stop disagreeing with me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
I'm sure the ugly people are glad

Old 12-14-2008, 03:29 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,475,519 times
*Scam*

Old 12-14-2008, 04:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,484 times
I've been out of work since April. I can't say that I've been actively looking for employment.

God must be looking out for me because a position fell into my lap last week. I started work last week...working from home...legit company. Paid salary $25K + bonuses and benefits.

Theresa

Old 12-15-2008, 09:27 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Well, I got into the nightly tiff with my husband. It goes like this
Him: "You really need to get a job right now."
Me: I'm still looking but there isn't much out there now.
Him: Don't use the recession as an excuse. Get a job.

Believe it or not, businesses who are doing just fine are USING "the economy" as an excuse to cut back & nickel and dime.

Even the NFL has laid off 150 employees (office staff ; NFL Films, staff like that) and the NFL is enjoying obscene revenue right now. They, like every other business, will be limited to "press one for this, press two for that" and the day is coming when we will never hear an actual human's voice on the other end -- even a foreign accent. The National Hockey League (!) is the one major league to have not slashed staff thus far.

Too many businesses are slashing staff just because they "can" blame something right now because after all who really expects good service anymore anyways? People are too "busy" to care and prefer quick these days regardless; good work ethic has gone the way of the Milkman. People figure, Who needs it? I'm in a rush anyway. Just get it done no matter how half assed and get me on my way.

Consumers are as much to blame as anyone because we accepted the slippage in standards for the sake of "convenience and just getting it done already" even before this hit. Businesses can have the worst staffs and skeleton crews now because our own expectations-standards eroded to craap for the sake of "just rush rush."

I am over-qualified for anything in my occupation, which I loved. Also over forty, so time to start my own little business or do something completely different. All they want are inexperienced twenty-somethings or teens now.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:33 AM

312 posts, read 860,966 times
yep i'm giving up

Old 12-15-2008, 11:03 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
I got today's lecture.

I suppose I have to go down to some store and hope they hire me. I can't really bear the idea. I am going to wait till after Christmas.

I don't mind a Co-op job but a regular store, bleh.

You too can go to 6 years of college and wind up unemployed.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:08 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,475,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
You too can go to 6 years of college and wind up unemployed.
It does though depend on what you went to college for and if there's a market for it. In the medical industry for example there always seem to be jobs.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:10 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,376,989 times
We are moving out of NC next month, so NO we are not looking for jobs right now.....not until we make our move to Florida. Then, we will "hit the pavement" again (and hard).

Old 12-15-2008, 12:28 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,133,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobfreeworld View Post
I've been out of work since April. I can't say that I've been actively looking for employment.

God must be looking out for me because a position fell into my lap last week. I started work last week...working from home...legit company. Paid salary $25K + bonuses and benefits.

Theresa
Outstanding! What kind of work is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment