Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2008, 09:47 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,089,224 times

Advertisements

Here's my situation: Age (stated above no need to repeat it!). Mother of 3 kids: 2 teenagers and a pre-teen. I have been working in the business world (marketing, communications, etc.) since graduating college and gathered an MBA along the way. But the economy plays havoc w/ the field and it's tough on the family when I have to work 50+hrs/week and travel, too. So I was thinking about a more recession proof industry such as teaching or nursing.

What do others think? Am I nuts to consider going back to school (either of these changes would require me returning to school for some period of time) and starting all over again? One thing I like about nursing is there is some flexibility as far as making decent wage for PT work and if we were to relocate, jobs are usually in good supply.

Sometimes I wonder about related fields too such as med-tech but I don't think the pay is there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 10:32 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
Just a few things to think about......(and I'm assuming you are a full time working parent).

You are looking for more work/life balance as well as job security. However, you will need to sacrifice all of this to start new..... You'll be going to school on top of the 50+ hours you're working.... and you'll need to pay the tuition.

Once you do get your credentials - you will be competing with people half your age for the same positions. Now, yes - one is not supposed to discriminate based on age. But realistically, if your fighting for a job with twenty somethings... and the hiring manager is twenty something... what's the likelihood that you'll be a better fit in that environment if all else IS equal?

And teaching... I'm married to a teacher... its the most non-flexible career you can have. Its extremely rewarding if you are motivated.... but it is very demanding. Like any other job, its not a 9-5 position... there's lesson planning, department meetings, grading, student meetings... all happen outside the 7-3 school hours. And back to the flexibility - yes, you get the summers off... but so do all the kids... so everywhere you go is crowded. And good luck trying to get a week during the school year... not saying you can't. But with all the standardized testings these days.... you'll feel like you can't go because your students will suffer. You have sick leave.. but you also need to worry about finding the sub... and making teaching plans for the sub.

No offense, but teaching is really for those that want to teach. Not those who want to have a more flexible schedule. Because its not.....

Not saying you are making a bad decision - there are no bad decisions here. But just wanted to be the devil's advocate to help you out here......

I personally don't think there's anything wrong with starting over IF you've considered all points.

Best of luck.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:27 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,076,250 times
Teaching is very hard to break into. I have a Masters in it and I have never held a public school job. Granted, after working in preschools I gave up and went to work in an office, then took 10 years off to be a mom...

Teaching is very tiring. Yes, I know...summers off....holidays. But more and more the people who teach tell me that it gets worse, not better...and I see it as a mother of a sort of special ed. child. Parents complain and you have to scratch for tenure.. many times you HAVE to be at school for longer than the school day. You work on papers and so during nights and weekends.

I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't do it. It's just (I have found) incredibly hard to get a job as a teacher and keep it. Good luck. I think moms have it rough because we have to juggle our careers come home and be parents...

Old 07-22-2008, 08:58 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,089,224 times
Good points about teaching. I was leaning more towards nursing or maybe some other med-tech fields, though they don't pay as much as nursing. Also, I know I'll have to re-take all my science courses as they're only "good" for five years and I graduated MUCH longer ago than that! So there would be significant time involved.

I enjoy what I do now, it's just that to do it full time requires me to travel extensively and work 50+ hour weeks. It's not possible to do it part time--I've tried. I do the occasional free-lance job but when I'm on that job, I'm at the beck and call of the client.

Right now I've settled for a position that pays about half of what I could earn in my area of expertise but the trade off is a lot of job flexibility. I guess I'm looking for my cake and to eat it too--I'd like to make more money but I want to retain flexibility.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:58 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
I know what you mean about the marketing. I have been in the marcomm/graphic design industry for 20+ years and am just burned out on it - it is very intense and the pay is bad and our metro area is completely glutted with workers in that field and now I find myself competing with 20 year olds that have skills that I really have no interest in learning/updating because I am so disgusted by the field.

And now I am looking to transition into something else.

I am looking into clerical/secretarial work within the med office or within a legal office. I just want something where I can work 8-5 everyday and just go home. With a salary that pays above $10/hr... maybe that is too much to ask though. Seems to be.

I can see your point, but in your case, I would think with all your hours, you would have to give up your 50+ hours a week job to do it and just work part time. Is that financially possible for you? I would start getting a CNA from a local community college. And see if you like it first. Or get a job at a hospital in some department and see if you like that.

I have heard nurses say they like working for private practices rather than hospitals, it is less crazy of an atmosphere. But you should talk to some nurses before you jump also.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:01 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,079,686 times
It can work to start fresh, but I think the pay will be less (probably)

my sis did the transition from teaching to nursing @ 50. She likes the weekend 12hr night shift 3 days / week in a crime ridden city, so she can stay awake and earn extra $ and have 4 days / week off. She is currently doing a special 2 yr training program for another nursing expertise @ 60... it raised eyebrows as to whether it was a good use of training resources on someone 'so-old'

I'm now changing careers @ 50 and am back into a masters program. I don't expect to ever get the $$ I got at age 40, doing international high tech stuff. Ironically, I miss the overtime of some of my skilled professions, there is merit to the idea of working for the highest bidder, since our time is waining and we are really just 'selling-our-hours". If I was to be smart.... and patient... I would get into physical and occupational therapy. It can be difficult but very rewarding. The certs are very lengthy. I should have looked into Radiology as the thing that is holding me up from Therapy profession is I much prefer working nights (no bosses, no interruptions, usually more self-directed (non-whining) co-workers, better pay, + you have all day off (as long as you don't get in the habit of sleeping late or getting ready for work early). Work has always just been a 'side-line' to my life, as I've preferred using my 'free-time' for attending school, doing volunteer work and running a farm + caregiving for a parent for 30+ years. I'm ready for a fresh start in the career issue, in the form of just doing jobs that I enjoy when I feel like working, rather than having to work the daily grind.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:33 AM

12,420 posts, read 3,232,368 times
My husband retired last year from teaching. The last 10 years were a nightmare. He discourages everyone from entering the field..at least in Maine the pay and retirement benefits are terrible.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:41 AM

60 posts, read 411,226 times
Start for yourself. Same field. Will be tough. You only live once, tough.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:47 AM

5 posts, read 31,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
Here's my situation: Age (stated above no need to repeat it!). Mother of 3 kids: 2 teenagers and a pre-teen. I have been working in the business world (marketing, communications, etc.) since graduating college and gathered an MBA along the way. But the economy plays havoc w/ the field and it's tough on the family when I have to work 50+hrs/week and travel, too. So I was thinking about a more recession proof industry such as teaching or nursing.

What do others think? Am I nuts to consider going back to school (either of these changes would require me returning to school for some period of time) and starting all over again? One thing I like about nursing is there is some flexibility as far as making decent wage for PT work and if we were to relocate, jobs are usually in good supply.

Sometimes I wonder about related fields too such as med-tech but I don't think the pay is there.
hey findingmesomeday,
I will be the'big 5-0' next month and I plan on returning to school to complete my requirements for my RN. I am also in the middle of a career change (teacher who wants to do something else). Go for it! You can do anything that you want. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment