Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 08:47 AM

535 posts, read 1,741,560 times

Advertisements

I always hand mine in. If you email it for whatever reason BCC a copy to an off site email account. You can also use a return rcpt requested on there or a notification saying that they received it. You can print it out - headers and all - to use as evidence.

I worked for a place once, one guy came in and said that he felt like quitting. So his "supervisor", who was 35 and had an IQ of a 2 yo carrot, fired him. "He started it". :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 09:03 AM

721 posts, read 2,609,566 times
At my company we have a policy requesting a two week notice and a written notice for resigination. If the employee does not give a two week notice then they lose their vacation time being paid out to them. It is difficult to replace employees within two weeks and get them trained. Anyway, if the employee does not hand in a written notice, the company provides a standard form for them to sign showing they resigned. This is because so many people have filed unemployment claming they were fired. Our company then has proof that they actually resigned. My company also does not give personal references (which I think is fairly standard nowadays) other than saying, "Yes, they worked here from this date to that date." That is all we say, otherwise we can be sued for "slander" if the former employee does not get their new job.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:10 AM

535 posts, read 1,741,560 times
new: all we can confirm is if they worked there and what their title was and I think salary, etc. Nothing about performance. Inside the state - if someone applies with us (we're a state agency) and they already work for the state we can pull their HR file. Our main HR people do that and if there are any red flags they can (and will) let us know about them and in some cases will tell us that we cannot hire the person.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:28 AM

926 posts, read 2,747,192 times
Just say you spoke to HR (which you should so you can find out the proper way the company does it) and they suggested that your sup initial your copy for your records just so there is no problem or miscommunication in the future.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:04 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,932,465 times
I always walk in with a hard copy resignation. I think the e-mail resignation is unprofessional. Regardless of how unprofessional the companies I've worked for might have been, I've always maintained my own code of professionalism--just the way I am. The last time I resigned from a gov job, I addressed the resignation to the head of the division via each manager and made copies and distributed it accordingly. For example: To the district manager via the manager via the supervisor, or whatever. Each manager had his/her own copy of the resignation. Oh, I also forwarded a copy to HR. Keeps everyone on the same page.

I don't see the point in having someone sign off on your resignation letter. For what, exactly? At any rate, I know for certain that my last two bosses would not have signed off on the resignation letter. Actually, they would have simply thanked me for the notice and forwarded it to HR. From that point forward, I'd be dealing with HR. Now if you really want a signature, I'd ask the HR department for acknowledgment of the receipt of my resignation. Then again, HR has always acknowledged my resignation letters anyway and basically confirmed what my letter stated.

Some companies let me work two weeks and a few didn't. The ones that didn't did a combo of work and vacation pay to equal two weeks.

Good luck

Old 12-30-2008, 06:37 PM

667 posts, read 2,887,986 times
not fired but....

my last job I gave my 2 week notice as per company policy. The next day I was told that since work was scarce to not even come in again.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:34 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,449,057 times
Thanks all for your replies. After thinking about this, I will do a hard copy, followed by an email to HR asking about benefits. That way, I have both bases covered.

There is no way this company, if in its right mind, will want me to walk. I have a caseload of intensive kiddos on my desk, and they will have to be transitioned.

After the day from Hell I had, I am looking forward to Friday.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:41 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,898,305 times
I didn't read the whole thread, but anything that you send them via snail mail should be sent registered letter with return receipt required.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:17 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Just wondering if anyone has had this experience or knows of anyone who has.

I plan to give my notice on Friday. This company is so creepy I am just waiting for them to turn around and dig up some reason to fire me, just to be creepy or to cause a problem for me in the COBRA department.

Anyway, ever heard of this and why would an employer do this?
If your employer is a creep, I would not give any notice. On your last day just simply tell them at 5PM you will not be back and give them the address to mail your last paycheck. Make sure you spend the week before cleaning out your desk or locker.
If however your employer is honourable, it is right for you to give as much notice as you can. In my last job, because it was a union job, I did not have to worry about beling fired when I gave notice so I gave a 30 day notice in writing and I even added "I will be happy to assist in the selection and training of my replacement in any way I can and will be available via telephone after my separation should my replacement have a need to consult with me about anything."
But if you are in a non union job remember that the boss can fire you at anytime for any reason or for no reason at all and some bosses get offended when employees quit. So the question becomes can you do without 2 weeks of pay should you tell the boss man "I quit" and he tell you "you're fired" and you say "you can't fire me, I quit" and he say "you can't quit, I fired you".

Old 12-31-2008, 07:26 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastle View Post
At my company we have a policy requesting a two week notice and a written notice for resigination. If the employee does not give a two week notice then they lose their vacation time being paid out to them. It is difficult to replace employees within two weeks and get them trained. Anyway, if the employee does not hand in a written notice, the company provides a standard form for them to sign showing they resigned. This is because so many people have filed unemployment claming they were fired. Our company then has proof that they actually resigned. My company also does not give personal references (which I think is fairly standard nowadays) other than saying, "Yes, they worked here from this date to that date." That is all we say, otherwise we can be sued for "slander" if the former employee does not get their new job.
That is not necessarily true as long as the reference if factual and not just a subjective opinion. It is not a good idea for you to say "johnny was undepenable and lazy when he worked here" but if you say "the record reflects that Johnny called in sick 7 times and was tardy another 14 times during the 14 months he worked here" or that "Johnny gave 2 days notice of his termination withour company", you cannot be sued for slander because it is factual and true. Of course if Johnny is going to work for your competition, you probably want to shine the best light on him you can!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment