Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 07:24 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times

Advertisements

what age group?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 07:33 PM

463 posts, read 1,564,985 times
Also, keep in mind that in this current climate people are being laid off after 10, 20, 30 years of working for the same company, and either they don't remember how to job search or it has been so long that the process has completely changed. In 2003, my father was laid off from a company he had worked at for 22 years. I can't imagine how different job searching in 1981 and 2003 were. Foruanitely, he was one of the ones who was good at job searching and found another job pretty quickly,

Old 01-02-2009, 07:49 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
Bob, I agree that it's harder for people who have worked for many years to find themselves in a job search. But I don't care how long it's been, you always had to spell correctly, present yourself well, be polite, and have good coherent responses to interview questions. Times change, but some things don't. You Dad was probably one who knew these common sense things and that's why he is now working.

Neekah, I salute your parents for raising you right. But many, many in your age cohort are as I've described. There are now books, research articles, seminars, etc on dealing with the "millenial" generation in the workplace. You will probably far out-perform you peers.

fnord, I totally agree about the e-mail addresses people choose to put on their resumes! I might have included in a CD thread or one on another website, but I've had bikinibabe@ ---.com and bongman420@ ---.com come across my desk. These were for Master's level clinician positions. If I weren't so busy, I'd have called them in for interviews just to see what they looked like so I could laugh.

I also think a lot of people like to collect unemployment for as long as they possibly can. They have to keep applying for jobs, but don't necessarily want to GET them. So they put in a half-assed effort. I guess it's kinder of me to believe that it's on purpose than to say they all must just be complete idiots!

Old 01-02-2009, 09:41 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,372,728 times
I agree with all of you to the power of 100. Social skills are taught and those who come in for interviews, and I have had my share, never learned from their parents how to interact with others. The initial giveaway comes in the form of the handshake - no, it's not okay to offer someone a limp dead fish of a handshake.

This is another book I could write. :-)

Old 01-02-2009, 09:41 PM

222 posts, read 779,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post

I also think a lot of people like to collect unemployment for as long as they possibly can. They have to keep applying for jobs, but don't necessarily want to GET them. So they put in a half-assed effort. I guess it's kinder of me to believe that it's on purpose than to say they all must just be complete idiots!
Honestly, I do not understand how people can rely on unemployment payments. A lot of friends of mine are so happy to collect them - you sit at home, do nothing and get paid. For me - that's the worst. I will be able to apply for one only in February and already HATE it!!! I do not need those money - I need a job and willing to work really hard..Well I always did that working sometimes 100 hours per week...

Old 01-02-2009, 10:07 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
Privilege of money isn't a bad thing especially if you are a minority; however, everybody will have to work eventually even those who have money handed down to them.

Work makes you feel satisfied inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
Hey I'm 20-something and was never taught to celebrate mediocrity or that I was perfect. I don't have a sense of entitlement and I work hard for everything I have and want. I don't have mommy and daddy to fall back on or to get me out of debt, pay back student loans, or give me a down payment for a house or car. Not all 20-somethings are spoiled brats or act like the girls from "the Hills" on MTV. It's sad that we are represented that way.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:08 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
I hate it when people do not make eye contact, crush my hand during handshake, or offer the weak and rude I don't care about you handshake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
I agree with all of you to the power of 100. Social skills are taught and those who come in for interviews, and I have had my share, never learned from their parents how to interact with others. The initial giveaway comes in the form of the handshake - no, it's not okay to offer someone a limp dead fish of a handshake.

This is another book I could write. :-)

Old 01-03-2009, 09:49 AM

359 posts, read 1,197,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
IT, engineering, numbers people don't have social skills? I'm shocked.
They're not the only one. Janitors don't have those skills either, but they do their job well.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:50 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,449,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
I don't know the answer but I find the combination of your screen name and the title of this thread to be quite ironic.
LOL!!!!

Old 01-03-2009, 02:45 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,024,845 times
Not only are the email addresses unprofessional, but the ringtones! I called an applicant to set up an interview and hung up when I heard the Grateful Dead singing "driving that train, high on cocaine".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search