Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2009, 01:26 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,684,260 times

Advertisements

I had a potential employer hire me, and tell me that they needed my email address for the background checkers, and I would then receive something via email later that day from the background checking company to fill out. They told me it would take five days or more for this thing to be processed once I had filled out all the information and emailed it back.

Has anyone heard of this? I'm kinda sure they were just pulling my leg to "buy time" because almost all of my previous employers had done background checks and this process was news to me!
I was "hired" and the background check was the last formality (no worries there.)
Of course, the place ended up saying "oops, we don't need any more help" when I called several days later wondering why I hadn't yet received the background check email form to fill out.
Since then I have wondered about this. Were they pulling my leg?

Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 01:32 PM

36,445 posts, read 16,050,897 times
I think they were full of crap

I did background checks for the last co I worked for and did it online with a SS and current address.

OOPS

Sorry!

Old 01-21-2009, 01:38 PM

22 posts, read 63,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
I had a potential employer hire me, and tell me that they needed my email address for the background checkers, and I would then receive something via email later that day from the background checking company to fill out. They told me it would take five days or more for this thing to be processed once I had filled out all the information and emailed it back.

Has anyone heard of this? I'm kinda sure they were just pulling my leg to "buy time" because almost all of my previous employers had done background checks and this process was news to me!
I was "hired" and the background check was the last formality (no worries there.)
Of course, the place ended up saying "oops, we don't need any more help" when I called several days later wondering why I hadn't yet received the background check email form to fill out.
Since then I have wondered about this. Were they pulling my leg?

Thanks for any input.
sounds like a scam.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:39 PM

Thanks! I figured as much, and this will be a "red flag" in the future not to waste time with anyone else with this "bright idea."

They didn't want the SS #, and I gave them the benefit of the doubt because of all the identity thefts, and more people being reluctant to provide their SS# on applications these days (not to mention, new technology-resources) -- and Folks wanting to make sure they are already hired before providing it.

Thanks!

Old 01-21-2009, 01:41 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,996,091 times
Well they could be hip and trendy and do a google search for your email address and potentially see what forums you may frequent. Or if you have your email on facespacemybooksocialcrap site it would pop up. But if they were claiming to do the old fashioned background check with your email I'm not seeing it..

Old 01-21-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
Well they could be hip and trendy and do a google search for your email address and potentially see what forums you may frequent. Or if you have your email on facespacemybooksocialcrap site it would pop up. But if they were claiming to do the old fashioned background check with your email I'm not seeing it..
Yup, it was for the old fashioned BGC.
(If they googled my email, they'd get a post about bad vets selling bad dog food

Old 08-17-2014, 12:11 AM

2 posts, read 4,747 times
My church wants to do a background check on me. They asked for my email. What's that all about?

Old 08-17-2014, 12:14 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,919,728 times
They might send the paperwork via email so you can print/sigh/fax yourself.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:27 AM

2 posts, read 4,747 times
Thanks.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:34 AM

5,117 posts, read 6,110,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkchunk View Post
My church wants to do a background check on me. They asked for my email. What's that all about?
How would we know? Did you ask them? It may be that they want to send things to you or they may want to see what kind of things you've posted on the internet.

have you ever googled old email addresses you've had? Some that I haven't used for over 15 years still show up on Google seaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search