Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 10:22 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo2lowkey View Post
After reading the link the family were in trouble, but not as bad as reading these posts. If you read the link carefully it stated they were a family of 6 not 8. Four children and two adults. Secondly the job as a delivery guy was enough to maintain the home with only the necessities. Third the wife has a job making a few hundreds a week as a bug controller.The only debt they have is outstanding medical bills and a $440 mortgage payment there's no need to file bankruptcy.

Some posters stated they should get a divorce. Why? The wife never belittle him in anyway. His pride was broken from having to work as a delivery driver not from his wife doing. Also from reading the link the family is closer together now than in the past. The husband has a new job as a security personal with the potential of a management position in the future.
Thank you. After reading the story and the posts on here, I was beginning to think I had read the story incorrectly. Yes, it was 4 children. It also says that she works as an exterminator. As was said before, he probably brings home some pretty decent tips and I doubt that his only pay is 10 per hour with no gas allowance.

I don't think that's demeaning at all. He's doing what he has to do in order to keep his family afloat. They're teaching their children the value of a dollar and that will be valuable some day because their children will probably see a recession or two throughout their lives. I think it's fabulous that one of the children is babysitting and cleaning houses and the older boy is also searching for employment.

The man gets my admiration for chosing to deliver pizzas vs. being away from his family for weeks at a time just to make a higher wage. It looks like all turned out well. Their family has become closer and he now has a new job where he can work his way back up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 02:06 PM

985 posts, read 2,601,051 times
Yes, I wish I had read the article better as well lol. I thought it said the wife only works a few hours a week, what it actually says it that she makes a few hundred a week. **Sigh** that's what I get for multi-tasking to much. I don't think delivering pizza is a demeaning job either but, unfortunately, the guy in article did.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:13 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
Then again the guy has 6 kids. I am taking it he isn't the smartest of the bunch.
That would be my take on it also. I admit that did not read the article, but I am wondering what the chubby WIFE did to bring more money into the house. Not to mention the fact that the boy (and the girl) in the photo look old enough to mow lawns, babysit, and do other tasks to bring money into the family.

While I agree it is the husband's duty to protect and provide for the family, in times of emergency, everybody who is physically capable and old enough need to roll up their sleeves and get out there and contribute to the family funds.

And it looks like the wife *might* be able to cut down a bit on the grocery bill by not eating *quite* so much, if you know what I mean......

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-02-2009, 02:21 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Most men I know say they'd do whatever they had to to support their families.
The catch is, there aren't necessarily pizza delivery jobs or store jobs or any "last resort" jobs for laid-off people to consider- they might already be taken. It's not like the business world is waiting for people who have lost better jobs to show up and work behind the counter. Some areas and worker are really, really hurting.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Most men I know say they'd do whatever they had to to support their families.
The catch is, there aren't necessarily pizza delivery jobs or store jobs or any "last resort" jobs for laid-off people to consider- they might already be taken. It's not like the business world is waiting for people who have lost better jobs to show up and work behind the counter. Some areas and worker are really, really hurting.
Yes, you are so right. Some places, honestly, you cannot find a job. Sometimes you have to create one. You have to recognize a need and fill it. Where I live right now *everybody* is laid off and hurting badly for jobs. We're all waiting until the season breaks and jobs are plentiful again. However, I can tell you there are still plenty of opportunities for people who are willing to work hard even though there are no "jobs" per se.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-03-2009, 11:21 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,167,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Tell us K. What kind of tips to pizza delivery peoeple make. What do average people give you to deliver a pizza that they are too damn lazy to go out and get? Do many people stiff you?

I doubt they make more then the manger as you say but Im sure pizza delivery people can make much more then minimum wage peope after adding in all the tax free tips.
I worked for Domino's delivering pizza for 5 years (during my undergrad) and made good money. I was in a great location and one I grew up in (knew the area very well) and being female helps. LOL I always made $16-20/hr. I took a 50% pay cut to get into my field when I graduated, it was tough.

However, in these recession days, I would not recommend this job. I just don't see it being worth it, but then again it may be good for someone who needs a job for ANY amount of money.

To answer your questions... I made usually anywhere from $2-5 or more per delivery. I was VERY fast so I made more deliveries than most. Yes, I was stiffed at least nightly. I probably made close to what our manager made.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:35 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
That would be my take on it also. I admit that did not read the article, but I am wondering what the chubby WIFE did to bring more money into the house. Not to mention the fact that the boy (and the girl) in the photo look old enough to mow lawns, babysit, and do other tasks to bring money into the family.

While I agree it is the husband's duty to protect and provide for the family, in times of emergency, everybody who is physically capable and old enough need to roll up their sleeves and get out there and contribute to the family funds.

And it looks like the wife *might* be able to cut down a bit on the grocery bill by not eating *quite* so much, if you know what I mean......

20yrsinBranson
If you had read the article you would have noticed that the CHUBBY wife brings home a few hundred a month. If you had read the article you might have noticed the children ages 9, 13 and 14 no longer receive allowances and started cleaning houses and baby-sitting to buy things. If you had read the article you might have noticed that this situation has brought the family closer together and they have cut down on their spending
Quote:
They no longer eat out and no longer have cable TV. For entertainment, they attend free movies at a church. Donna LeBlanc takes pride that they have no credit card debt.
You might have noticed that IF you had read the article just about everything you said was false and judgmental.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
If you had read the article you would have noticed that the CHUBBY wife brings home a few hundred a month. If you had read the article you might have noticed the children ages 9, 13 and 14 no longer receive allowances and started cleaning houses and baby-sitting to buy things. If you had read the article you might have noticed that this situation has brought the family closer together and they have cut down on their spending

You might have noticed that IF you had read the article just about everything you said was false and judgmental.
Hey, that's swell. It sounds like they are doing everything they can. By the way, I heard about this on Dave Ramsey's radio show, so I didn't really think that reading the article was necessary. Maybe I should have. LOL

20yrsi

Old 08-28-2009, 11:13 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,790,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
People today have to make smart decisions, including not having too many kids!
Programs that applaud people with a dozen kids make me a bit queasy. It all looks so easy. But in the end someone has to pay the bills.
I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never thought I was ready to have kids, so I never had any. I wish more people would make the same decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment