Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2009, 03:31 PM

173 posts, read 968,145 times

Advertisements

I am leary of using Craigslist, but when you are in job transition you should explore all possibilities. Though I am finding craigslist to become more shay and fishy everyday.
But yesterday, I had seen a position posted, but it had asked to include a photograph.
I have since found out that it is legal for an employer to request a photo, as long as it isn't used to discriminate the applicant.
This is of course extremely difficult to prove.
But today, the ad has disappeared.
Can the company or Craigslist remove it that quickly?

I have also seen payment, for a project, not by money, but by the product itself. Like a barter system, you get a years supply of "such-and-such".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 03:36 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,638,942 times
The ad can be removed by the poster at anytime or by Craigslist. Normally, the link to the ad will still be there, but when you click on it, there will be a message that says something like "ad has been removed by ....."

Depending on what the job is, they can ask for photos. I've seen it a lot for Host/ess jobs are restaurants.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:33 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Every jackal who can rip someone off is out there now. Be wary of everything.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:39 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
The jobs on Craigslist are people looking to have you do something for nothing. They are too cheap to advertise in the newspaper or online; that should tell you something about what they are willing to pay. In my area, and in my profession, I normally get around 75 to 80K per year. On Craigslist, employers are offering 30K and they want you to walk on water. I'd avoid Craigslist as it is mostly nothing but a scam.

If you're looking for work, go to www.indeed.com.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:51 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
Be very wary of scam ads on cl. I have seen many of those pulled on craigslist. For the record, I got my most recent position through craigslist. May not be the greatest job in the world, but it pays OK and it is A JOB. At the point I got this, I was about to be hired to work retail. Something I hadn't done in 25 years... so do not rule it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search